Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 09:25 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Theater, Art, Music, Museums, History, Restaurants, Hotels- New York justifies it's pricetag.
Obviously, most of us who are from here feel that the price of the Bay Area is justified, or we wouldn't stay. I specifically enjoy the Bay Area, and have no interest in moving to BodyOdor, Arizona, just to own a single family home. New York City would also be a good place to live, but the cost of living is about the same, and it isn't where I grew up, so I'll stay here. New York is a good place to visit, too, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
You love to bash SFHs, but please tell me how much of SF is actually SFH? All large scale building here in the city has been condos. I'm even seeing townhomes or condo communities being built down in Foster City, so it's not like density isn't on people's minds.
Even a townhome isn't really what I'm talking about. That's still single family, and therefore a waste of space and resources, in my opinion. I'm talking about DENSE housing. One building houses hundreds of families, at market rate. Even if you reduced the population of San Francisco by 20%, the housing would still be very expensive, and you still could not fit all families into their own townhome. There is a limit to how much space there is to do that. You just have to keep building more and more dense residential structures.

Quote:
Companies here really need to space out. I noticed the other day just how crowded the city is compared to a few years ago.
Crowded is good. I like to be where people are and things are happening. Plus it makes transportation easier when you don't have a car. Companies might be more densely placed in Silicon Valley; as I said, riding up north first on light rail, one passes dozens of tech companies.

Which makes the 1% figure, for the percentage of residents who use the light rail, surprise me. If you live on the light rail and your employer is on the light rail, that's the perfect case. Just ride the light rail instead of driving. I do it because I have no choice. I live far enough in the suburbs that it takes me an hour to get to downtown San Jose on transit, and then another hour to get to where I work, in most cases.

It doesn't stress me out because I'm not driving. But in some cases it is logistically difficult. My current assignment with the temp agency pays more than the last -- $14/hr -- but I have to get up at 0400 (4 am) to arrive by 0800 (8 am). I leave the apartment at 0508 in order to get to the first bus and leave myself enough time to pick up coffee, food etc at 7-Eleven. The first bus is 0540. So it's a two hour trip, arriving at 0740.

But if the Bay Area wasn't crowded, with densely placed businesses, it would be a lot harder. Things need to get a lot more dense.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Comparing New York's Cultural Base to San Francisco's is not even close.

Not even remotely close.

Bay Area's greatest up on New York is the Weather (minus SF/Daly City/Pacifica/HMB)
and livable/workable suburbs.

Theater, Art, Music, Museums, History, Restaurants, Hotels- New York justifies it's pricetag.
NYC has more to do, but the Bay Area hits pretty hard for its size.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:20 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
NYC has more to do, but the Bay Area hits pretty hard for its size.
This. When you compare the Bay Area to Seattle, the comparison comes out very differently than when you compare it to NYC. Suddenly, the Bay Area looks a lot like NYC in terms of quality & variety of entertainment/culture. Yeah, NYC's museums are awesome!

Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Comparing New York's Cultural Base to San Francisco's is not even close.

Not even remotely close.

Bay Area's greatest up on New York is the Weather (minus SF/Daly City/Pacifica/HMB)
and livable/workable suburbs.

All of this is irrelevant. Housing prices are driven by the market and what people are willing to pay. Chicago has amenities that rival SF and LA has more, but both cost less than SF.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:41 PM

473 posts, read 521,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
All of this is irrelevant. Housing prices are driven by the market and what people are willing to pay. Chicago has amenities that rival SF and LA has more, but both cost less than SF.
Exactly. NY isn't expensive because it has the best "amenities." It's expensive because it's a major economic engine, and more to the point, the home of hedge funds and investment bankers who get six and seven figure bonuses every Christmas. It's also the site of robust international investment (perhaps less so now that the dollar is strengthening.)

SF has always been more expensive than average because it's more desirable than average -- same as NY. But the tipping point came with the first dot-com bubble and affordabity came crashing down with the second dot com wave. And it's not just tech, but the lawyers and consultants and VC firms that serve tech companies. Even outside of tech, there's upward pressure on salaries in order to entice people to live here.

That's why these arguments about SF vs. NY are so ridiculous. It doesn't matter which city is better. If you're an engineer and see this as the land of opportunity, then you're going to move here, even for a few years, to try to get a big tech company on your resume. If you want to be in entertainment, you're going to move to LA. If you want to work in government, you'll cut your teeth in DC. For many Millennials, it's that simple.

On the other hand, if you're like the OP and want to live somewhere where you can feel like a Big Dog on only $100k, in a gated community with a stay at home spouse, then the Bay Area is not the place for you.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM

397 posts, read 364,319 times
neutrino - what online community do you belong to?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,013,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's because Chicago and to a lesser extent La, do not constrict the supply to the level of the Bay Area. People pay high prices because the market is manipulated, not because they want to.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
That's because Chicago and to a lesser extent La, do not constrict the supply to the level of the Bay Area. People pay high prices because the market is manipulated, not because they want to.
No, it isn't the market being manipulated. Chicago is less desirable to people in highly compensated fields. Los Angeles is also very expensive. People come here and make a lot of money in the tech field and pay prices that others could never afford to get a house in a certain area. That is what drives the price upward.

The Bay Area is an awesome place to live. Any of the nine counties are great by themselves and even better because they are close to the others. This leads to a high price.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,013,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, it isn't the market being manipulated. Chicago is less desirable to people in highly compensated fields. Los Angeles is also very expensive. People come here and make a lot of money in the tech field and pay prices that others could never afford to get a house in a certain area. That is what drives the price upward.

The Bay Area is an awesome place to live. Any of the nine counties are great by themselves and even better because they are close to the others. This leads to a high price.
You live with your parents and makr minimum wage. Stay out of the conversation and let the grown ups discuss the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland