Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years. One thing interesting about the Bay Area in the recent years is that Progressivism has become almost uniform throughout the 30 mile radius of San Francisco Oakland, and Berkeley, San Jose and its suburbs are all. If one city sneezes out a progressive policy most other cities would soon catch cold. The phenomenon is much less the case in other parts of the state such as SoCal where city councils are reluctant to look at progressive policies that some of their neighbors might have passed. With the exception of coastal Los Angeles area cities and the Coachella Valley Palm springs area. Though alas as Bay Area and other coastal politicians has ever more control over Sacramento these days its hard to prevent such policies from becoming statewide these days so even living inland or in Orange County SoCal is not safe from Bay Area policies from being imposed on. On the flip side these groups would be angry if local control is usurped from them in other ways. Though it appears politicians regardless of their positions only defend local control if it fit their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you elaborate on your concept? It sounds really interesting, quite possibly deserving of its own thread, if not here, then under Philosophy or some other sub-forum. What are "extreme Greens"? Does the (now multi-generational) Berkeley City Council, with its refusal to prosecute certain types of crime, fit into this, by any chance? That was actually an outgrowth of the 60's/70's, not Millenarian, though.
Crap like bag rules, eco nazis looking at what you do or do not place into the recycling bin, support for trans surgery / hormones at ever younger ages (often initiated from a school setting initially), turning key arterial roadways into anti car meccas, and so on. None of this has anything to do with empowering labor, etc.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Crap like bag rules, eco nazis looking at what you do or do not place into the recycling bin, support for trans surgery / hormones at ever younger ages (often initiated from a school setting initially), turning key arterial roadways into anti car meccas, and so on. None of this has anything to do with empowering labor, etc.
Interesting as Milpitas and Alameda County are now officially in violation of state law on the bag issue. Under SB270 no city is allowed to pass or enforce their own ordinances post January 2015. But they did so anyways in anticipation that prop 67 would fail the state ballot. Though since its now approved officially speaking Milpitas must repeal their own ordinance and Alameda County must leave their ordinance alone or else follow SB270. Though I wonder would this ever be enforced against them?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:15 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,902 times
"Crap" like "bag rules" - as if there was not a colossal global problem of plastic trash in waterways and oceans. I think it's a good law, and in time will be national in scope.

I have no idea how one turns a roadway into an "anti car mecca." Gee, couldn't possibly be a complex problem deserving of a public policy response, could it? (traffic, commute times, pollution, economic growth, tax revenue, fuel economy standards, oil exploration subsidies, carbon emissions....the list goes on.....)

Nah, it's about my freedom to drive my car in my way. Hmm, why don't I have the freedom to drive as fast as I want? Why do I have to stop at red lights, man? Why is the government putting up all those dumb traffic lights everywhere? Stupid Bay Area.

Fun times chatting, though.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:02 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Then don't complain.
Telling someone else not to complain.....really?

I actually find your complaints funny, but you telling someone else not to complain is pretty ridiculous.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,116 times
As long as it stays in the Bay Area, I like it. I like visiting and experiencing all the bizarre ideas and sensitivity. After more than a week, I start to get sick of it and all the excrement and bums and am happy to be home.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
"Crap" like "bag rules" - as if there was not a colossal global problem of plastic trash in waterways and oceans. I think it's a good law, and in time will be national in scope.

I have no idea how one turns a roadway into an "anti car mecca." Gee, couldn't possibly be a complex problem deserving of a public policy response, could it? (traffic, commute times, pollution, economic growth, tax revenue, fuel economy standards, oil exploration subsidies, carbon emissions....the list goes on.....)

Nah, it's about my freedom to drive my car in my way. Hmm, why don't I have the freedom to drive as fast as I want? Why do I have to stop at red lights, man? Why is the government putting up all those dumb traffic lights everywhere? Stupid Bay Area.

For example, communities along the Peninsula seeking to turn El Camino into some type of walking street. Bulb outs, cross walks in between lights, removal of lanes, no more street parking, etc ... heck, let's throw in a rapid bus lanes while we are at it.

I suppose this is on the theory that Millennials will continue to not drive as much, and, all those autonomous vehicles will reduce chaos and improve traffic flow, all the while all the new beehives being built will not overwhelm the road network.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:39 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Quote:
I have no idea how one turns a roadway into an "anti car mecca."
By removing lanes on major thoroughfares creating huge traffic jams. One prime example of this is how San Jose Ave was reduced to two lanes instead of three coming off the 280 freeway going into San Francisco.

San Jose Ave. used to be an easy way to get to Noe Valley, Bernal Heights and the Outer Mission. Now there is a perpetual traffic jam at the light by Randall. Noe Valley commuters now have to be stuck in an extra 15 minute traffic jam just to get home. I used to stop by Noe Valley all the time on my way back home but the destruction of San Jose Ave. makes that route unusable at rush hour. Fortunately I have found a new secret route that the commie SF planners have not yet destroyed.

This used to be 3 lanes with almost no traffic jams and now its a 15 minute wait with an up to one mile traffic jam to get through the light at Randall at the San Jose freeway exit. The stupidity of the city government in San Francisco is limitless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P02jCMSlus

Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
OK, not so interesting, after all. Sounds petty, some of it. I wouldn't call petty, nit-picking recycle bin volunteer inspectors (one might call them "snoops") "extreme Greens". The people who sit up high in redwood trees for weeks on end, now that would be an example of Extreme Greens.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:

San Francisco Department of works litter audits shows plastic litter has gotten much worse since the 2007 ban so its making the plastic trash in waterways streets and elsewhere problem much worse. Based on Google street view bay Area streets are much more littered with plastic and other junk after the policies went into effect than ever before. And we are seeing a trend of states and cities around the county that are reversing such policies or prohibiting it from happening. Minnesota, Michigan, and New York, all three of them blue states took action to prevent their cities from being mislead to jump on this ban wagon.

Too much stops lights and signs severely increases pollution. Roundabouts and traffic calming devices are a much better alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland