Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, not so interesting, after all. Sounds petty, some of it. I wouldn't call petty, nit-picking recycle bin volunteer inspectors (one might call them "snoops") "extreme Greens". The people who sit up high in redwood trees for weeks on end, now that would be an example of Extreme Greens.
Yeah thats just one idiot. The enviro stuff i agree with.

What i hate are the sjw/tumblr identity politics. Not just a bay area thing, but very common there

Can be summed up in a series of generalizations...(theirs)

-F all police! (Even those who investigate rapes?)

- all white people are racist

-all men support rape culture

-trans women dont have to shave their beards if they want to pass as women and occupy feminist spaces. Also, children should be forced to transition at an early age and given hormones if they display characteristics like " boys cooking" or "girl plays in mud" . (Which actually reenforces gender roles!)

-free speech is an anachronism and only a useful concept for rich white men. (As an old school liberal, i am appalled at how these sjws have allowed the right to claim the constitution... thst used to be OUR thing)!

-all forms of autism are wonderful gifts and no cure should be sought. (Yes, this is an actual movement... disgusting)

-white people should not be allowed to wear dreadlocks, eat burritos, or watch anime as it is all cultural appropriation. This is a one way street and other people are allowed to appropriate from whites

-racism is not possible against whites, and the old definition of race must be ignored and replaced with a new definition that is only about power structures. Notion came from a WHITE academic, not from black people.

And people wonder why trump won..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Crap like bag rules, eco nazis looking at what you do or do not place into the recycling bin, support for trans surgery / hormones at ever younger ages (often initiated from a school setting initially), turning key arterial roadways into anti car meccas, and so on. None of this has anything to do with empowering labor, etc.
What exactly are your criticisms of these policies? Labeling them as crap or Eco Nazi is not an argument but a label. I personally don't see what's so terrible about any of the laws you mentioned, but I have no problem with people disagreeing about them. Just that disagreement is more productive when supported by a thought process or something factual rather than knee-jerk labeling. So please share with us what you specifically dislike about those policies?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years. One thing interesting about the Bay Area in the recent years is that Progressivism has become almost uniform throughout the 30 mile radius of San Francisco Oakland, and Berkeley, San Jose and its suburbs are all. If one city sneezes out a progressive policy most other cities would soon catch cold. The phenomenon is much less the case in other parts of the state such as SoCal where city councils are reluctant to look at progressive policies that some of their neighbors might have passed. With the exception of coastal Los Angeles area cities and the Coachella Valley Palm springs area. Though alas as Bay Area and other coastal politicians has ever more control over Sacramento these days its hard to prevent such policies from becoming statewide these days so even living inland or in Orange County SoCal is not safe from Bay Area policies from being imposed on. On the flip side these groups would be angry if local control is usurped from them in other ways. Though it appears politicians regardless of their positions only defend local control if it fit their agenda.
I grew up in Walnut Creek during the 80s, when it was twice as Republican as Democrat. Large swathes of the Bay Area were Republican during those days, but back then, Republicans were not controlled by religious extremists the way they are today. The demographics have changed because moderate voters will distance themselves from today's Republican Party, a lot of the older Republican voters have passed away, and we have a lot of foreign immigrants that tend to vote Democrat as well. But by no means is this limited to the Bay Area. As a transplant San Diego, the same thing has happened down here. The voting demographic and overall demographic is completely different. And we all have pretty much the same liberal laws in every large city in the state. Only the small peripheral cities occasionally distance themselves from liberalism, and you'll still find that scattered throughout the Bay Area as well.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
San Francisco Department of works litter audits shows plastic litter has gotten much worse since the 2007 ban so its making the plastic trash in waterways streets and elsewhere problem much worse. Based on Google street view bay Area streets are much more littered with plastic and other junk after the policies went into effect than ever before. And we are seeing a trend of states and cities around the county that are reversing such policies or prohibiting it from happening. Minnesota, Michigan, and New York, all three of them blue states took action to prevent their cities from being mislead to jump on this ban wagon.

Too much stops lights and signs severely increases pollution. Roundabouts and traffic calming devices are a much better alternative.
Interesting point about trash, but don't be blinded by bias in making a cause-and-effect determination. Since that time, many other things have happened besides a plastic bag ban. There have been huge population increases as well as increases in homelessness. Those, along with many other factors, could be the cause for more plastic litter. Impossible to make a determination.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:57 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Yeah thats just one idiot. The enviro stuff i agree with.

What i hate are the sjw/tumblr identity politics. Not just a bay area thing, but very common there

Can be summed up in a series of generalizations...(theirs)

-F all police! (Even those who investigate rapes?)

- all white people are racist

-all men support rape culture

-trans women dont have to shave their beards if they want to pass as women and occupy feminist spaces. Also, children should be forced to transition at an early age and given hormones if they display characteristics like " boys cooking" or "girl plays in mud" . (Which actually reenforces gender roles!)

-free speech is an anachronism and only a useful concept for rich white men. (As an old school liberal, i am appalled at how these sjws have allowed the right to claim the constitution... thst used to be OUR thing)!

-all forms of autism are wonderful gifts and no cure should be sought. (Yes, this is an actual movement... disgusting)

-white people should not be allowed to wear dreadlocks, eat burritos, or watch anime as it is all cultural appropriation. This is a one way street and other people are allowed to appropriate from whites

-racism is not possible against whites, and the old definition of race must be ignored and replaced with a new definition that is only about power structures. Notion came from a WHITE academic, not from black people.

And people wonder why trump won..
This sounds like stuff coming mainly from university populations, and a few activist groups. You do realize there's a lot more to Berkeley and the Bay Area than that demographic niche, right? Fringe politics makes headlines, and therefore tends to create an impression of dominance, when in fact, the fringe is just the fringe. Then there's everybody else.

I would not characterize this as "Bay Area Liberalism". Does this sound like Fremont or San Jose to you? The Peninsula? Vallejo, Napa, Sonoma? Orinda, Lafayette, or Walnut Creek? All the lawyers and doctors and other professionals in Berkeley and around the Bay? All the Chevron employees who commute to SF from the East Bay, not to mention those working in Concord? And the average college staff and other office workers?

Cool rant, bro, but this sounds like something you picked up from national headlines or from Oberlin race & gender studies classes, not from the Bay Area, specifically. (Aside from a few UC Berkeley/Oakland loudmouths, as the one caveat.) OK, maybe we could call it "Bay Area extremism", vs. the more generic, background liberalism.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-09-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
I consider liberalism to be a mental illness - and people that call themselves progressive or trumpet their lefty ideology are the most afflicted, to the point where normal relationships are impossible.

Last edited by phantompilot; 08-09-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 05:21 PM

173 posts, read 170,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Would hardly call either of those states a "libertarian paradise", especially Alabama. Social conservatism is kind of the opposite of libertarianism.
He is very.. misinformed as are many liberals. They believe that there only exists Liberalism and then everything else is Conservative. Notice how the first thing he said is for people to leave (because he didn't agree with them.) Meanwhile, he's posting in all the Missouri and Tennessee forums bragging that he's worth $150K and wants to buy property.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Interesting point about trash, but don't be blinded by bias in making a cause-and-effect determination. Since that time, many other things have happened besides a plastic bag ban. There have been huge population increases as well as increases in homelessness. Those, along with many other factors, could be the cause for more plastic litter. Impossible to make a determination.
Good point. I just don't get all the anger and hate about plastic bag laws on these forums...

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I grew up in Walnut Creek during the 80s, when it was twice as Republican as Democrat. Large swathes of the Bay Area were Republican during those days, but back then, Republicans were not controlled by religious extremists the way they are today. The demographics have changed because moderate voters will distance themselves from today's Republican Party, a lot of the older Republican voters have passed away, and we have a lot of foreign immigrants that tend to vote Democrat as well. But by no means is this limited to the Bay Area. As a transplant San Diego, the same thing has happened down here. The voting demographic and overall demographic is completely different. And we all have pretty much the same liberal laws in every large city in the state. Only the small peripheral cities occasionally distance themselves from liberalism, and you'll still find that scattered throughout the Bay Area as well.
I grew in Santa Clara County in the 70s and it was fairly Republican too. Though it was very moderate ones like Pete McCloskey, and even as late as the late 80's, represented by folks like Ed Zschau and Glenn Campbell.

Just because a voting demographic leans Democratic doesn't necessarily mean policies or laws are going to be so-called Liberal. You have very high income people who support very stringent zoning or building reviews in certain communities - I'm not sure if NIMBY is necessarily a left or right wing thing.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:52 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I consider liberalism to be a mental illness - and people that call themselves progressive or trumpet their lefty ideology are the most afflicted, to the point where normal relationships are impossible.
Unoriginal thought you borrowed from elsewhere. Also, do you really think half the population is mentally ill simply for disagrreing with you?

I think someone is projecting on the "normal relationships are impossible" thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland