Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 02:24 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Oh no Greta is person of the year of some ancient magazine no one reads. PTrump is too busy winning to even notice. Sorry to ruin your day
lmfao. Neither Trump nor you thought TIME was “some ancient magazine no one reads” when it featured him on the cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 02:28 PM

629 posts, read 620,496 times
I’m so grateful to not have been brainwashed and manipulated by my parents. They were too busy being productive members of society, and raising myself and my sister to do the same and to learn that you get further in life by working hard and being good people instead of whining and throwing tantrums, all while screaming at anyone and everyone who has the nerve to not fall in line with their demands for who you should be.

I feel bad for the kid. Her parents broke her. No kid should be that angry and bitter about life at such a young age. There’s plenty of time to turn jaded and hateful once you’re an adult. Of course, people in the Bay Area hit that level at a much lower age than anywhere else, so I suppose it makes sense she’d be seen as some sort of folk hero here.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I’m so grateful to not have been brainwashed and manipulated by my parents. They were too busy being productive members of society, and raising myself and my sister to do the same and to learn that you get further in life by working hard and being good people instead of whining and throwing tantrums, all while screaming at anyone and everyone who has the nerve to not fall in line with their demands for who you should be.

I feel bad for the kid. Her parents broke her. No kid should be that angry and bitter about life at such a young age. There’s plenty of time to turn jaded and hateful once you’re an adult. Of course, people in the Bay Area hit that level at a much lower age than anywhere else, so I suppose it makes sense she’d be seen as some sort of folk hero here.
You don’t know much about Aspergers I see.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 930,257 times
TPOY: big deal. SO was Hitler at some point.

It's not actually the positive honor that you think it is, Tulemutt.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
TPOY: big deal. SO was Hitler at some point.

It's not actually the positive honor that you think it is, Tulemutt.
Go back and find where I said it was positive. I’ll wait.

You don’t get it. What the title (TIME POY) conveys is a recognition of extreme impact ... not what kind of impact (positive/negative) ... but enormous influence on world affairs.

When Trump was on the cover, he couldn’t (and still can’t) stop crowing about it ... how important he was. He has predicted he would be TPOY again this year ... only to be backseated by an upstart youngster he ridiculed. And who many contributors to this thread likewise ridicule.

The point of starting the thread wasn’t particularly to argue her position favorably. It was simply an interesting event in the Bay Area. I knew there would be strong reactions, because that’s the nature of the forum: lots of lazy intellects regurgitating AM radio talking head gibberish. But the mural is newsworthy, regardless of which position any person holds.

The dismissiveness is hilarious. Same with the thread about Andrew Yang’s Silicon Valley support. People don’t become TPOY and have their mural painted on buildings - or climb from nowhere as an unknown to 5th position out of a field of 24 well known candidates - without being people who have earned the consideration of thoughtful analysis and conversation. Not that that happens often on internet forums.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:30 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,189,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Go back and find where I said it was positive. I’ll wait.

You don’t get it. What the title (TIME POY) conveys is a recognition of extreme impact ... not what kind of impact (positive/negative) ... but enormous influence on world affairs.

When Trump was on the cover, he couldn’t (and still can’t) stop crowing about it ... how important he was. He has predicted he would be TPOY again this year ... only to be backseated by an upstart youngster he ridiculed. And who many contributors to this thread likewise ridicule.

The point of starting the thread wasn’t particularly to argue her position favorably. It was simply an interesting event in the Bay Area. I knew there would be strong reactions, because that’s the nature of the forum: lots of lazy intellects regurgitating AM radio talking head gibberish. But the mural is newsworthy, regardless of which position any person holds.

The dismissiveness is hilarious. Same with the thread about Andrew Yang’s Silicon Valley support. People don’t become TPOY and have their mural painted on buildings - or climb from nowhere as an unknown to 5th position out of a field of 24 well known candidates - without being people who have earned the consideration of thoughtful analysis and conversation. Not that that happens often on internet forums.
Hahahahahahaha

Old 12-11-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Hahahahahahaha
Well that’s deep and insightful. As usual from you.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Just ran into this comment reading the news pages. It reflects exactly my point about who/what deserves thoughtful analysis, regardless of agreement:

Quote:
Saagar Enjeti calls Yang's rise a 'return to the fundamentals of democracy'

TV host Saagar Enjeti praised Andrew Yang on Wednesday after the Democratic candidate qualified for the fifth primary debate in December.

Enjeti said even though he doesn’t share many Yang’s views, he characterized it as an “extraordinary achievement” that “represents a sea change in American politics.”

“What I really respect in his rise is breaking the mold forever as to what it means to run for president and who is quote unquote electable,” Enjeti said. “His candidacy and rise is in many ways a return to the fundamentals of democracy, where anyone is able to rise to the top of the political playing field if their ideas resonate with enough people.”
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/47...s-of-democracy

Old 12-12-2019, 06:42 AM

1,336 posts, read 930,257 times
What extreme impact did Greta have on the world? Other than cause twitters and flutters, fawning praise from the cognoscenti, ridicule from sane people?

Answer: None. Nada. Not at all.

A 16 yr old version of Al Gore. Only not as effective, and that's saying alot.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
What extreme impact did Greta have on the world? Other than cause twitters and flutters, fawning praise from the cognoscenti, ridicule from sane people?

Answer: None. Nada. Not at all.

A 16 yr old version of Al Gore. Only not as effective, and that's saying alot.
You’ve got to be kidding this time veritased.

Much of America and the world is aflame with the topic from all sides. And she is fanning it. Again, the acknowledgement of the TPOY isn’t what policies a person accomplishes ... it’s how much the world is feeling influence of presence. Greta has an outsized presence at this time. That brings awareness and activity.

Comparing Greta to Al Gore is crazy. She’s a 16-year-old prodigy kid just appeared. He’s a 71-year-old life long politician at the highest national levels for decades and decades.

Just hilarious that Trump got backseated by a kid he ridiculed ... speaking of someone being “ridiculed by sane people” all around the world. Trump is a laughing stock internationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland