Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:18 PM

21,815 posts, read 16,494,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A prodigy? Mozart was a prodigy. Blaise Pascal was a prodigy. Even if Greta wasn't already too old to be a "child prodigy," what are her exceptional talents and abilities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Yeah I just skated right over the claim. Child prodigy, well that's patently wildly exaggerated. I give her respect for not being another Instagram addled Gen Z nincompoop, and for the courage to go big, but she knows nothing about climate, other than what she's been programmed with.
You both exhibit a very limited grasp of what “Prodigy” means:
Quote:
prod·i·gy
/ˈprädəjē/
noun: prodigy; plural noun: prodigies
a person, especially a young one, endowed with exceptional qualities or abilities.

an impressive or outstanding example of a particular quality.
The reason she stands out as she does ... is because of her exceptionalness. If her focus and grasp of issues, her abilities to speak and express her situational assessments, publicly, and to adult “leadership”, her courage under attacks by antagonists, her willingness to immerse her energies so exhaustively - if these were common traits and behaviors of 16-year-olds everywhere, she wouldn’t be inspiring people, including adults, world-wide by the literal 10’s of millions, now would she ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 10:51 PM

24,419 posts, read 27,109,820 times
Greta is going to have another foaming mouth tantrum about another hot ticket issue and SF will name a street in her honor

Old 12-15-2019, 11:25 PM

1,336 posts, read 935,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your choice of this human garbage as a leadership role model is a fawning, unctuous sycophancy.
Or... despite his character flaws, he's still vastly better, or the only possible choice, when compared to Billary, and the complete lineup of 2020 DNC cast of characters. How bad is the DNC offering? So bad, that despite all your criticisms of Trump having some basis, people held their nose and chose him as the best way forward.

Not my role model of leadership, but most definitely the least of two evils. By far. And I will still vote for him quite easily when compared to what's coming from the DNC debates.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Greta is going to have another foaming mouth tantrum about another hot ticket issue and SF will name a street in her honor
btw, 335xi is an amazing driver car.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You both exhibit a very limited grasp of what “Prodigy” means:

The reason she stands out as she does ... is because of her exceptionalness. If her focus and grasp of issues, her abilities to speak and express her situational assessments, publicly, and to adult “leadership”, her courage under attacks by antagonists, her willingness to immerse her energies so exhaustively - if these were common traits and behaviors of 16-year-olds everywhere, she wouldn’t be inspiring people, including adults, world-wide by the literal 10’s of millions, now would she ...
Tulemutt, you are not an ignoramus. You have ability to reason. Come on, where the heck are you getting all this admiration from? She is NOT inspiring anyone other than those who are titillated by anything that both annoys the right and screams/whines about cli-sci or any other pet virtue signalling issue. I can understand you wanting to come to her defense from the Trumpians, but come on, there is nothing special here, except her unusual appearance and manner of wiggling her eyebrows when she wants to be taken seriously.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:32 PM

629 posts, read 622,384 times
Quote:
Tulemutt, you are not an ignoramus. You have ability to reason. Come on, where the heck are you getting all this admiration from? She is NOT inspiring anyone other than those who are titillated by anything that both annoys the right and screams/whines about cli-sci or any other pet virtue signalling issue. I can understand you wanting to come to her defense from the Trumpians, but come on, there is nothing special here, except her unusual appearance and manner of wiggling her eyebrows when she wants to be taken seriously.

Don’t be so mean criticizing a child. It’s not her fault. She’s a kid who has a disease. That gives credibility.

Once she hits adulthood, which nowadays is over 25, does that open her up to be called out for her ridiculous behavior? Or can she hide behind aspergers indefinitely?

As far as I’m concerned, if you put yourself out there for the public to see and hear, with the goal of building up attention, anger, and divisiveness towards as cause, then you’re fair game to criticism. I don’t care who you are. If you say and do things that illicit significant attention to the point of changing people’s behavior and basically “riling up the crowd” then you have every right to receive attention from everyone, not just those who agree with you and your side.

Toughen up buttercup. Thems the rules of the game. If you can’t handle it then don’t play. And this absolutely applies to her supporters as well. You get even less of a free pass than she does.

Unpopular opinion amongst the blind sheep here I realize, but that’s the way of things. I don’t care if I hurt your feelings. If you pretend to play adult games, then you opened yourself up to be treated like one.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Well at least I think we can all agree that Morgan Vague should not have been selected over Greta (we don't need to use her last name anymore, she's on first name basis with the entire world now, right?), just because Morgan, a student at Reed College invented a way to turn plastics into enzymes.

I mean plastic in our oceans and dumps and lakes is not that urgent a problem when compared to us being totally underwater in ten years, according to her Greta-ness.
Yeah, too bad Morgan, you didn't make a UN speech and get the right celebrity backing by Siliconned Valley and HollyBollywood and the Upper East Side.

https://www.reed.edu/reed-magazine/a...t-plastic.html

But seriously Morgan, as a young woman working to make a real difference in immediate threatening challenges to the environment... yeah, that's my Person of the Year, sorry Greta... don't scrunch your face and get mad at me, please....

Old 12-16-2019, 11:03 PM

830 posts, read 489,824 times
Trump mocked her and a billion pearls were clutched.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 AM

24,419 posts, read 27,109,820 times
Quote:
btw, 335xi is an amazing driver car.
Thanks haha, but I now drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance, so Greta would be happy with me lol

Old 12-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Poor Greta, I suspect she'll grow up and one day go... wow, was I made a puppet of by the cli-sci virtue signalling progressives. At 16 yrs old, she can't be a fake actress like so many comrades in the Party. I believe she sincerely feels threatened and got scared into this whole charade.

More power to those who are working on real problems, and our future leaders, such as Morgan linked above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland