Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 12:11 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

That's excellent. The opposition is annoying as heck but so glad the city approved it.

What we need more of tho imo, is a serious attempt at affordable housing. Something like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 06:46 PM

Location: From Oakland, CA. Was in SLZ, CA. Now Lynnwood, WA.
81 posts, read 137,854 times
Default Just venting my frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's excellent. The opposition is annoying as heck but so glad the city approved it.

What we need more of tho imo, is a serious attempt at affordable housing. Something like this...
I think the bubble is about to bust. This place finally released their pricing
New Homes in The Reserve | Hayward, California | D.R. Horton

Was hoping to buy a second home in Hayward. The pricing doesn't reflect the schools assigned to it IMO, location is good, but if your gonna buy a house that big it usually means your in the family way, so schools matter, IMO. If we are gonna spend that much money might as well buy in a better school district. Our stay in our current house instead of renting it out. Just venting my frustration.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 AM

758 posts, read 551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
I think the bubble is about to bust. This place finally released their pricing
New Homes in The Reserve | Hayward, California | D.R. Horton

Was hoping to buy a second home in Hayward. The pricing doesn't reflect the schools assigned to it IMO, location is good, but if your gonna buy a house that big it usually means your in the family way, so schools matter, IMO. If we are gonna spend that much money might as well buy in a better school district. Our stay in our current house instead of renting it out. Just venting my frustration.
I'm surprised that every single model they are selling has a soft-story structure. I guess that can fit more houses in the tract that way. Good for the developer, maybe not for buyers.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I'm surprised that every single model they are selling has a soft-story structure. I guess that can fit more houses in the tract that way. Good for the developer, maybe not for buyers.
Huh? Those just look like your average single family home, not a typical soft-story structure which usually are multi-unit apartment buildings.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:57 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Huh? Those just look like your average single family home, not a typical soft-story structure which usually are multi-unit apartment buildings.
These aren't soft-story buildings. Soft-story construction is specifically defined as a building where there is a large opening in the first floor (like the garages in all of these designs) and the lateral stiffness/shear strength of that floor is less than 70% of the stiffness of the floor it's supporting, making it more vulnerable to earthquakes. That's pretty clearly not the case here (and I don't actually think that would meet code for residential construction in CA these days--usually that situation comes up when someone has added a room over an older garage that was not designed to support an additional floor).

Old 04-04-2017, 03:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
These aren't soft-story buildings. Soft-story construction is specifically defined as a building where there is a large opening in the first floor (like the garages in all of these designs) and the lateral stiffness/shear strength of that floor is less than 70% of the stiffness of the floor it's supporting, making it more vulnerable to earthquakes. That's pretty clearly not the case here (and I don't actually think that would meet code for residential construction in CA these days--usually that situation comes up when someone has added a room over an older garage that was not designed to support an additional floor).
True, they don't allow those types of buildings anymore and haven't for a while.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:18 PM

758 posts, read 551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I stan, er, sit corrected. If there's a room over the garage I view it as unstable. Yeah, not as unstable as a row of store windows under 10 stories of apartments. But, it doesn't look stable to me. I agree, that's technically incorrect.

On this specific development, anyone know how they are spending that 1 million a pop on construction? Is it going to be state-of-the-art in terms of earthquake safety? Is the site on bedrock? Are they cutting corners enough that the technical hard-story becomes a soft-story? I'm really asking, if anyone has the scoop, not asserting.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM

522 posts, read 737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, here goes.

I saw this on GlobeStreet and thought it was interesting:

City Walk Rendering:

http://portalimageworks.com/Projects...erior_3_sm.jpg

Glad its going to be completed.
I always enjoy your Oakland updates!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Kudos to the planning commission for not caving to local NIMBYS...

OAKLAND, Calif. (KTVU) - Oakland's planning commission voted Wednesday night to recommend the approval of the city's tallest housing development ever, a soaring 40-floor tower by developer Carmel Partners, that would replace the Merchant's Parking Garage at 1314 Franklin Street diagonally across form the historic Tribune Tower downtown...
Planning commission approves Oakland's tallest residential building - Story | KTVU

A rendering of the tower...

Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I always enjoy your Oakland updates!
Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland