Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Research research research.... though if "a sense of community" and "friendly neighbors" is what you're looking for in ANY part of the country, a gated community might not be the best thing! Gated community dwellers automatically have suspicion of the outside world, otherwise they wouldn't be in a gated community.

The older neighborhoods and communities in Florida are where you'll generally find people with greater ties and commitment to the community.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Research research research.... though if "a sense of community" and "friendly neighbors" is what you're looking for in ANY part of the country, a gated community might not be the best thing! Gated community dwellers automatically have suspicion of the outside world, otherwise they wouldn't be in a gated community.

The older neighborhoods and communities in Florida are where you'll generally find people with greater ties and commitment to the community.
Good point!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:

So true ^^^ - that is why I hate gated communities and live in older ones. We have a great sense of community and super-friendly welcoming neighbors here in Whitfield Estates - the kind that bring you holiday cookies and are always around to lend you a hand when you need one.

That said, I love Florida and have few negatives, yes it gets hot and muggy here, for me it's a trade-off as I hate cold. Insurance is RIDICULOUS - we pay almost $3,000 including flood for our small older home (near the bay).

We have too many bad drivers here, corrupt politicians, sprawl in the larger cities. Too much disappearing wildlife habitat .

When all is said and done, however, there is no place I would rather live. One can find positives and negatives anywhere, and no one place is "one-size-fits-all." We found our little paradise here in northern Sarasota.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Default adding to the list

good list - but you left off the pinhole in plumbing piping - not even sure what that was about but maybe someone here knows. i know if you had the issue you had to spend some bucks to remediate/not sure if it was more prevelent in sarasota area than other parts.

you may have mentioned this but the insurance rate issue for those in wind pools. that was a shocker on relocation and house purchase as were the property tax rates.

your list however was excellent - florida has some delightful aspects, particularly the southwest coast and then it has some harsh realities as well. i sometimes felt that the summers in sarasota were more bearable than NC or VA - proximity to water made them easier - the hard thing for me was the lack of seasonal change - i missed that but upon revisiting it, i realize i don't miss cold wet winters or humid humid summers.

i may mosey back sarasota way - it was always fun to count the alligators in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Since my other thread keeps getting run off topic I thought I'd start a new thread where everyone can discuss concerns about moving to Florida.

Maybe we can add the 50% rule onto the list of things to worry about if you move to Florida. Here's my current list.

I have people say to me, "come on it can't all be good." Tell me something bad about Florida. So here goes, the negative side to living in Florida. Well, negative for some people.

Some people find it to hot for their liking, especially in the summer months June-August. It does get really hot here. I usually plan my day and if I'm gonna go for a jog it's probably not going to be at 12 noon, if you're gonna mow the lawn it's probably best to do it in the early morning or late afternoon. I suggest planning a trip here in the summer to make sure you are comfortable with the heat. You don't want to move here and then find out you're not all that fond of hot weather.

It's a sub-tropical climate and tropical climates bring bugs. You will find a myriad of different species of bugs in Florida. There are many natural remedies to getting rid of the pests as well as having your home sprayed for bugs on a quarterly basis.

Mosquitoes are one of the most talked about bugs in Florida. Mosquitoes are most prevalent in in the rainy season, June-August. They lay their eggs in standing water of ditches, buckets of water and stagnate water. This area has airplanes that fly over in mosquito season and they spray for them. To cut down on the mosquitoes around your home make sure you eliminate any standing water around your house. There are many sprays, candles and bug zappers you can use to get rid of the pesky bugs.

Snakes are an issue that I hear about regularly. There are 45 different types of snakes in Florida with only 6 being venomous. Most won’t bother you and just eat things like small rodents, rabbits, rats, mice, and other types of small animals. The majority of snakes are good to have around the yard and control any over abundant rodent populations.

Many of the venomous snakes like to live in wooded areas under rocks or around swampy, marshy areas. Generally, they don’t want to be bothered when encountered, so if you leave them alone usually they’ll run the other way. Often times when people get bitten is when they try to handle a snake, not realizing that the snake is poisonous. If you kill a snake the snakes reflexes are still “live” for a short period after you have killed it, so don’t immediately handle it or you might get bitten.

The six snakes that are venomous are The Southern Copperhead, which is only found in the panhandle area and not in SW Florida. The Cottonmouth, commonly called a water moccasin, which is primarily found around brackish water and marsh areas. The Eastern Diamond Back, they like palmetto thickets, under brush and Gopher Tortoise holes and are found throughout Florida. Next is the Timber Rattlesnake which is only found in 9 counties in Florida and SW Florida is not included in it's range. Moving on to the Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake, which is found throughout Florida around ponds and in underbrush. And lastly we have the Eastern Coral Snake, which of my 37 years living here have never seen one. Supposedly they are found throughout Florida. If you absolutely hate snakes you could get this stuff called Snake-Away and I heard this keeps them away from your house or where ever you put it.

The latest news reports state that there is now an invasive species of Burmese Python known to inhabit the Everglades and they are large enough to eat goats. Although they are not poisonous they can be a danger to humans due to their large size. I have never seen this type of snake in SW FL.

Another animal that some people are concerned about is alligators. Alligators tend to stick to the rivers where the water is brackish (a mixture of salt and fresh waters) and they also like the golf course water traps.

Alligators seldom attack humans, and fatalities from such attacks are extremely rare. Alligators are naturally afraid of humans, but they lose that fear when people feed them. There has been several alligator attacks due to people feeding them.

The most likely time to see alligators is at dusk. Often during the day you can catch them sunning themselves on the shoreline. Once the sun goes down they become more active. I wouldn't recommend swimming in a place known to be inhabited by alligators. It's also wise to keep dogs and cats away from the shoreline of waters known to be inhabited by alligators. Most dogs and cats are about the size of the animals alligators prey on-raccoons, birds, fish, turtles, etc Stay away from any small alligators or nests because the female alligators can become extremely dangers when protecting their young. Also don't go trying to get a lost golf ball a golf course water trap. They love to hang out in places like that.

If you live on a freshwater or brackish water canal and have small children or pets I always recommend getting a fence as an extra precaution.

You can greatly reduce your chances of being attacked by an alligator by just using some common sense. Generally speaking, if you don't swim in the rivers or the water traps you should be pretty safe. If an alligator shows aggression toward human you can call Florida Fish & Game and they will remove it.

Then you have the Chinese Drywall. This certainly has been an issue. Most of the CDW was imported from Chine between 2001-2007. Hundreds of millions of sheets of Chinese drywall were imported from 2004 to 2006, but Chinese drywall has recently been found in homes built or remodeled as early as 2001. Chinese Drywall has been found in 30 states and the District of Columbia and is estimated to have been installed in over 100,000 homes in the United States. See Map. Unfortunately, this does not paint an accurate picture as most affected homes have a mixture of safe and tainted drywall.

The majority of Chinese drywall is 1/2", but not always. Here are some clues that the home has CDW. Does your home smell like rotten eggs or ammonia (sometimes a sweetish smell)? I've also been in homes where it smelled like raw sewage. Is it more noticeable when entering your home and then seems to dissipate? The level of odor varies greatly in each home as does each person’s ability to detect the odor. Of course, the strength of the odor also depends on how much drywall was used in the home. The home may not smell and still can be affected by CDW. In short, do not rely on your nose alone, particularly since many develop olfactory fatigue after being exposed to Chinese drywall.

Chinese drywall corrodes electrical wiring. Check the electrical receptacles in your walls to see if the wires are blackened. Pull off the electrical plate and look inside. Obviously, do not touch anything - you could get shocked. There should be a copper wire inside. The wires in this photo have been corroded from Chinese drywall. The breaker panel should also be checked. I've also seen plumbing fixtures that are pitted and if the A/C has been replaced and the home is relatively new-that's also a clue that the home may have Chinese Drywall. Some of the sheets of drywall are stamped Knauf or National Gypsum on the back.

Signs of an electrical problem include, a circuit breaker which frequently needs resetting without an apparent cause (particularly a GFCI or AFCI); lights that flicker without any apparent cause; bright flashes or sparks anywhere in your electrical system (this may indicate arcing conditions in the wiring); buzzing from electrical systems, switch plates, dimmers and outlet covers that are discolored from overheating; and a smell from overheating plastic. CDW was manufactured during the time that hurricane Charlie hit so even if your home is older it could be effected. I always recommend a home inspection

Moving on to the next concern I hear is hurricanes. Really a hurricane can hit anywhere in Florida. I think that the Miami and Key West have the highest possibility of a hurricane strike. You need to be prepared where ever you live. I am a native Floridian and have lived in or close by Sarasota county my whole life and have never evacuated, not to say that I wouldn't but I've never felt the need to.

Anywhere you live in the world you will be faced with some kind of natural disaster-tornadoes, typhoons, tidal waves, earthquakes, blizzards, etc. At least with hurricanes you will have advance notice before they hit. If you choose to leave you have the opportunity to do so. This is not the case with most other weather situations.

Since 1992 Hurricane Andrew, the Florida Building codes have been up graded in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 to deal with damage from wind. Even new manufactured homes are safer than site built homes pre-94 The newer the home since 94, the less insurance you will pay. Insurance for pre 94 homes is difficult to get/keep and you will pay a lot of money for coverage.

Some hurricanes are large and can cover the whole state, while some like 2004 Charley was an oversized tornado. Some years we have to watch for a dozen and other years only one or two. The hurricane season runs from June to November with the peak amount in September.

Here's a chart that shows the probability of a hurricane strike in each area:
Florida Hurricane Coastal Strike Probability

Hurricane strike probabilities are only statistical
estimates. Be prepared as storms approach.

This website is also pretty helpful-- Florida Hurricane Info

Another concern I hear is about sharks. I get asked quite a bit if I’ve ever seen a shark at the beach or if it’s dangerous to swim out at the beach. Fact is that since they have been keeping records on shark attacks there has never been a fatal shark attack from Bradenton to Naples. If you're talking shark attacks, the Atlantic side has far more attacks than the gulf side. One reason you get more attacks over there is the amount of surfers. Surfers mimic a wounded animal and in turn look like lunch to a hungry shark. Most of the sharks that are off the coast of New Smyrna are Tigers, Spinners, Bull, Reef and Blacktips. Ponce Inlet is specifically known to be pretty active with sharks. You really don't have that great surfing on the gulf side unless a storms brewing. The gulf side is also much warmer than the Atlantic side. http://www.underwatertimes.com/news....id=10863094725

New Smyrna Beach over in Volusia County on the Atlantic side is the "Shark Capital of the World" North America's top shark-attack beaches - USATODAY.com But you have more chance in winning the lottery than getting attacked by a shark. Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

Next concern I hear is about the job market. Yeah it's pretty bad here. The unemployment rate is hovering somewhere around 12% right now. It's usually easier to find a job on the medical field then some other markets. The construction market is pretty tough right now. I would not suggest moving here without a job lined up.

There are some areas of town that are better than others which is pretty easy to figure out in the Sarasota area.

On the sex offender issue. I wouldn't say there are any more here than anywhere else. I just think we have a better system of keeping track of them. Which I think is a good thing. You can go here to check to see if any live in the neighborhood you are considering: http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/off...yyt!-928531442

So, if you can live with the the bugs, the heat isn't an issue, aren't afraid of mosquitoes, snakes, sharks or gators, can prepare for hurricanes, have a stable job lined up, are willing to have your home inspected for CDW and can figure out where you want to live...you should be good to go

Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. So, as a FL real estate agent you've found a way to counter the reasons you hear from potential buyers, without being removed for advertising.

Florida is a beautiful state with lots of positive attributes, including the pesky critters and bugs. I would say the best reason not to move there is that it is already over-populated for the space. The government and educational systems are over-burdened from the existing strain.

I think it would be better if they extended the existing National Park to encompass all if its currently uninhabited areas, and focused the existing economic incomes to supporting the present level of habitation.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
Default community spirit

I love the comments about having no community spirit because your neighbors aren't around. Do you ever pick up a newspaper, a sarasota magazine, SRQ magazine or any of the dozens of free publications around?
There are countless organizations available for people to join and participate in. Sure, they may require you actually get in your car and drive a short distance somewhere, but really?
What about the opera, the plays, the dancing, the theaters, the comedy clubs, the seemingly countless restaurants, the salsa clubs, the dog rescue shelters...if you can't find something to do and get involved in it's your own fault.
This isn't Flatbush or Philly where you can hang out your apartment window and talk to the person across the street. It's a different environment, and doing the most basic amount of research would have shown you that before you moved here.

I moved here in july and knew exactly what to expect, because I knew what gas cost, what the real estate taxes were going to be, what my insurance would be if I moved somewhere west of 41, what doctors would or would not take my insurance, and what neighborhoods were like.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM

477 posts, read 987,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
I love the comments about having no community spirit because your neighbors aren't around. Do you ever pick up a newspaper, a sarasota magazine, SRQ magazine or any of the dozens of free publications around?
There are countless organizations available for people to join and participate in. Sure, they may require you actually get in your car and drive a short distance somewhere, but really?
What about the opera, the plays, the dancing, the theaters, the comedy clubs, the seemingly countless restaurants, the salsa clubs, the dog rescue shelters...if you can't find something to do and get involved in it's your own fault.
This isn't Flatbush or Philly where you can hang out your apartment window and talk to the person across the street. It's a different environment, and doing the most basic amount of research would have shown you that before you moved here.

I moved here in july and knew exactly what to expect, because I knew what gas cost, what the real estate taxes were going to be, what my insurance would be if I moved somewhere west of 41, what doctors would or would not take my insurance, and what neighborhoods were like.
I have to agree with you there. There is much to do within the community of Sarasota to participate in! My facebook page is filled with things to do everyday! While I haven't made many "connections" in the neighborhood or school, I have to honestly say that it's my own fault. I could actually get out of my car at the bus stop and talk to the other parents there. It just takes me a bit longer to make new friends. I feel a bit out of place when everyone else seems to know each other, but that's me and I'm used to that.

A dear friend of mine really made me feel better. She has lived in many different places from Ohio, NYC, St. Pete Beach, The Caymans...When you come from a place that you have roots in to a place where you have NO roots, it takes time. You will feel very disconnected for quite awhile. Just trying to drive from point A to point B can make you feel "tiny" in this big world.

I don't think Sarasota is to blame...try living in Pataskala, Ohio where I grew up. You may see a car or truck drive by through the corn fields once in a while and that would be the highlight of your day...

We love it here! Yes, we really want to make friends and can't wait to feel rooted again. We just know it will take time. And knowing that family is planning on moving down is very, very exciting!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
No different than transplanting plants. No matter how much tender loving care you give them or how much beautiful sunshine shines on them some roots just never take. We've all had that happen. That's life.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:

That's not necessarily true as two different people I know learned when they moved to smaller older communities in FL several years ago. They ran into the typical old south cliques and family clans. No outsiders welcome. Making a close friend or good friend was out of the question. But this goes on all over the south I heard, not just FL. I've seen and experienced it here in TN where I live - in the rural and semi-rural areas.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
I moved here for love. Didn't care where we lived as long as we were together. When it came time to buy a home we looked at what we could afford with room for a growing family, bought it and have been happy since. Bottom line is that it doesn't take much to make us happy, and don't worry too much about things we can't control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area