Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

For years I've been reading comments on this forum about Sarasota. Some people become very defensive if anyone even suggests that life in Florida isn't just about white sand beaches and sunshine. After all, Florida is sunny, warm, friendly, with great restaurants and lot of nice shops. In fact, it's Paradise.

Maybe one reason that the homeless offend so many people is that image is suddenly shattered by their very presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
the problem is the inner guilt. so many of those that posted express a "oh those poor people" concern while at the same time thinking why do i have to witness this as they are on their way in to enjoy a dinner consisting of a fifty dollar entree.
True, and I admit I've been one of those people. Then something happens in your life and you realize you could be looking at your future.
Quote:
where else are they supposed to go? there are no woods for them to camp out in. there are not enough shelters.
I've also been told that some people are afraid of being robbed if they still have a few possessions. Others are concerned about getting sick from other people who have been living on the street [URL="http://www.squidoo.com/why_homeless_people_avoid_shelters"]as described here.[/URL]
Quote:
why has this gotten worse? maybe its the really crappy economy, although if one listened to the state of the union address a couple nights ago, everything is great, couldnt be better.
I agree that economy is still lousy. However, your your dislike for our President has been strongly expressed many times on City-Data, so let's not turn this discussion into a political debate. Nobody said things are perfect and we still have a long way to go.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-14-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Stop already with this nonsense. I don't think there is one person on this thread who has said what you are alluding to. Of course we are compassionate for those who have fallen on hard times and need a hand up. Not so much for the drug addicts, overly aggressive panhandlers and those able but too lazy to work.
Exactly where in the comment I made that you quoted did I say I was referring to anyone on this thread?
I have in other comments, but the one you quoted was about people in general.
So you can stop YOUR nonsense.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Exactly where in the comment I made that you quoted did I say I was referring to anyone on this thread?
I have in other comments, but the one you quoted was about people in general.
So you can stop YOUR nonsense.
Well then I was talking about the other comments. What difference does it make what post was quoted.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
I agree that economy is still lousy. However, your your dislike for our President has been strongly expressed many times on City-Data, so let's not turn this discussion into a political debate. Nobody said things are perfect and we still have a long way to go.

first point is that it takes 2 to debate. if it bothers you so much just ignore it. i never mentioned your president you did. what i said is that the economy is crappy. i also said that if you listened to the state of the union that everything is great. both of those statements are FACT and not a debate. you turned 2 true statements political.

The second point is who are you to reprimand me?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Certain people on this thread are leading with their chin and are regurgitation blantant emotional garbage rather than bothering to read peoples' threads, thus ignoring what the posters are actually saying. What does that remind you of?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Stopped at the CVS at Swift & Clark last night to get my son some cough drops. We literally hadn't even gotten the car in park when a man walks up to our car & asks for money. As soon as we said no, he rushes off to the next car that pulls in. He was working that parking lot like a pinball machine. Plus when you are in your car with your kids in the back seat & some stranger walks up & stands at your drivers door- that takes it to a new creepiness level.

This week, I also saw a pair of younger men get out of a car near Stickney Point & 41. They walk from where they are parked & onto the median, give each other a little fist bump, split off to different corners & pull out their carboard signs. Literally the first car at the stoplight hand one of them cash

I'll say it again- this crap is out of control.

Last edited by PixiStix; 02-15-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Stopped at the CVS at Swift & Clark last night to get my son some cough drops. We literally hadn't even gotten the car in park when a man walks up to our car & asks for money. As soon as we said no, he rushes off to the next car that pulls in. He was working that parking lot like a pinball machine. Plus when you are in your car with your kids in the back seat & some stranger walks up & stands at your drivers door- that takes it to a new creepiness level.

This week, I also saw a pair of younger men get out of a car near Stickney Point & 41. They walk from where they are parked & onto the median, give each other a little fist bump, split off to different corners & pull out their carboard signs. Literally the first car at the stoplight hand one of them cash

I'll say it again- this crap is out of control.
Totally agree. I have read a LOT of reports of people witnessing these little scams. I have been accosted in the parking lot of Publix at University Parkway, a guy wanting "bus fare" (they always need bus fare or gas money LOL) People are really stupid to give any of these sign holders anything - what are they thinking?

I think it might be time to start carrying a gun, or at least some mace or other spray. I agree the creepiness level is really escalating.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM

153 posts, read 192,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
For years I've been reading comments on this forum about Sarasota. Some people become very defensive if anyone even suggests that life in Florida isn't just about white sand beaches and sunshine. After all, Florida is sunny, warm, friendly, with great restaurants and lot of nice shops. In fact, it's Paradise.

Maybe one reason that the homeless offend so many people is that image is suddenly shattered by their very presence.
I've been on this forum for a year and i think the only people who post with that view of Florida are the ones that don't live here or have even visited yet and instead read a three sentence blurb in Retirement magazine. The people who live here and post are the ones to set them straight and explain the pros/cons and why we call this our home.

No one expects there not to be homeless people, the problem is they have grown exponentially in the past month or so and have turned panhandling into a very organized racket thanks to the ACLU. If youre not here i dont expect you to understand the change in the past few months. Harassing families in their car at CVS is unacceptable. The police hands are tied for now and people are taking full advantage. The only people I feel sorry for is the legitimate homeless trying to get help, not those rolling up in cars to intersections to get out and panhandle.

Another example is downtown where I'd often see them congregate at the fountain near Nancy's. no big deal, never bothered me once. Now you sit outside at a restaurant and someone is right beside your table, smoking, saying crazy stuff, and harassing every person walking by for money and driving business away. And for the record It was a $10 sandwich, not the $50 entrees like some claim we all enjoy downtown while lighting cigars with burning cash.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
I've been on this forum for a year and i think the only people who post with that view of Florida are the ones that don't live here or have even visited yet and instead read a three sentence blurb in Retirement magazine. The people who live here and post are the ones to set them straight and explain the pros/cons and why we call this our home.

No one expects there not to be homeless people, the problem is they have grown exponentially in the past month or so and have turned panhandling into a very organized racket thanks to the ACLU. If youre not here i dont expect you to understand the change in the past few months. Harassing families in their car at CVS is unacceptable. The police hands are tied for now and people are taking full advantage. The only people I feel sorry for is the legitimate homeless trying to get help, not those rolling up in cars to intersections to get out and panhandle.

Another example is downtown where I'd often see them congregate at the fountain near Nancy's. no big deal, never bothered me once. Now you sit outside at a restaurant and someone is right beside your table, smoking, saying crazy stuff, and harassing every person walking by for money and driving business away. And for the record It was a $10 sandwich, not the $50 entrees like some claim we all enjoy downtown while lighting cigars with burning cash.
Great post - tried to rep. ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area