Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,349,806 times

Advertisements

We can agree to disagree about the validity of being "weak of will" as a definitive "handicap" (personally, I thought it was the generous perspective of a kind person), but I should clarify something.

I am not saying you should help these "lazy bums."

I am saying your vitriol should probably be reserved for someone more deserving of it. While it is true that many of the homeless have "character defects" (just like every single poster here, whose defects are less visible, less open to scrutiny, and less popular to despise), it is also true that they should not be demonized to the degree that many do. If one of them is aggressive with you, hit them or call a cop. If one of them is sitting on a bench, just note your disdain and move along.

Just as you would do with anyone else.

If you're complaining about your tax dollars going toward shelters etc., you're living on Venus. The percentage of your tax dollars that go to infinitely more offensive and/or inane things is so staggeringly greater than this, the amount we're talking about here is hardly noteworthy.

Move away. Organize a posse. Run for office. Take a Valium. Watch American Idol. Post on an internet forum. Whatever it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM

509 posts, read 908,396 times
One thing I've observed about human nature, when a person is having hard times, any type of hard times, that is never because they are a "bum" or do not want to help themselves.
Never.
If the person finds compassion that is heaven sent, a blessing, and the benefactor is a good, kind person.

When anyone other than ourselves or our loved ones is in hard times, that is usually seen as a bum who does not want to help himself, and those who would be his benefactor, a fool.

I agree with the basic premise of what Gypsychick said, no one upholds a person who refuses to help themselves, if able. The problem is, the tendency to lump all homeless together, because we dont really know how most homeless got that way and what their situation is, and the lack of empathy. It's repulsive.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,845,929 times
Rushmore, I was responding specifically to your aunt's view of "weak of will" as a handicap -- please don't read anything more beyond what I stated. As for the homeless in general, there are plenty of social organizations, church ministries, and government agencies out their to house the people that truly want help. However, most of these organizations do have rules concerning drug/alcohol addictions. Therefore, a great percentage of the people homeless do so out of their own choice. That's not society's fault -- that's personal responsibility.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Rushmore, I was responding specifically to your aunt's view of "weak of will" as a handicap -- please don't read anything more beyond what I stated.
Here is the FIRST LINE of my reply. How is this anything other than acknowledging the point you are saying I missed or misrepresented? Is it not reasonable to acknowledge what you have said and that we can agree to disagree on it?

"We can agree to disagree about the validity of being "weak of will" as a definitive "handicap" (personally, I thought it was the generous perspective of a kind person),"

Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Who doesn't have character defects? I certainly do. But I'm not accosting people in the street demanding money for mine.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Who doesn't have character defects? I certainly do. But I'm not accosting people in the street demanding money for mine.
And again, you are talking about people "demanding money." I didn't realize we were talking about them. As far as I am concerned, those who are out there "demanding money" are being aggressive and should be dealt with either with force or with the law or with both.

When can we talk about those who are not "demanding money?," or is it your contention that every single person out there is a scary degenerate dope fiend rapist thief murderer?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,692,936 times
i saw an honest "homeless person" Sunday heading to st. Armands on 41. He was holding a sign that said: "It's for beer"

Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM

When can we talk about those who are not "demanding money?," or is it your contention that every single person out there is a scary degenerate dope fiend rapist thief murderer?

Is that what I said? No it isn't, Rushbo. Please keep hysterical comments to a minimum, okay? I'm talking about the homeless who are detracting from society, not adding to it. You know, like regular citizens.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
On the way to work at quarter to eight, heading west to Lido from Hillview & 41, I passed the dude with dreads on the median of 41/301, the worn down woman at the 41/Ringling Causeway intersection & just west of her, the man staking out the E/W median. They've reached their jobs before me!
That's sensitive of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
It struck me as a bit odd that the Salvation Army charges these homeless people $10/night for a bed. Heck that comes out to $300/mo - someone could share a full apartment with a roommate for that much money.
Wrong! I notice all over this board that people comment on things they cannot understand. First of all, $10 a night is a lot different from $300 a month, because you'd have to assume that someone who can afford to pay $10 for one night has $300. You are also not including electricity or water.

I agree that 3 people with $300 (or even less) a month for rent could find a fairly decent place to live. But tell me something..who is going to rent to them? Where will they get the deposit to turn on the electricity or the water? I can't find the original article, but doesn't the $10 also include a hot meal?

Although I agree with those who claim there are many scam artists on the street who panhandle or people who are lazy bums, most of the homeless don't choose to be in their situation, and a high percentage are mentally ill. In today's economy, many homeless are families with children who lost their homes.

Edit: I came back to post this link. I was correct, that is, $10 a night includes 3 meals a day. So that blows the "for $10 a night they could find a decent apartment" theory.

[url]http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_sarasota.nsf/vw-text-index/858908c48e1f60ae802572fa0050e436?opendocument[/url]

"68% of the homeless have never been homeless before. It is estimated that 46% of the homeless are families. People become homeless due to a variety of circumstances such as family crises, job loss, financial crisis, accidents, major illness or even natural disaster. The lack of affordable housing within our community only serves to complicate this issue."

Last edited by justNancy; 02-12-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,147,718 times
Quote:

Is that what I said? No it isn't, Rushbo. Please keep hysterical comments to a minimum, okay? I'm talking about the homeless who are detracting from society, not adding to it. You know, like regular citizens.

kiggy, you are being such a meany. (i love that word meany, until a week or so ago i hadnt heard that since a little girl said it in third grade) dont even waste the argument. some are just so much more intelligent than you or i will ever be. pass the beef jerky and give me another beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area