Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsupbottle View Post
Sorry that was my best shot.

With apologies for my ignorance,
Catsupbottle
That's OK. My reply was unjustly harsh.

Contritely,
Rushmore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Don't get it twisted, those bible thumpers have nothing,... I mean not a damn thing to do with Jesus, or anything he would want.
Can I get a definition of "bible-thumper". I mean your definition.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM

398 posts, read 823,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Can I get a definition of "bible-thumper". I mean your definition.
Bible thumper (U.S.) someone perceived as aggressively imposing their Christian beliefs upon others. The term derives from preachers thumping their hands down on the Bible to emphasize a point during a sermon. The term's target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religion, fundamentalist or not. The term is most commonly used in English-speaking countries.[2]

Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,560 times
Oh, thanks, FLSnowbirds. I was thinking that Frida7 might be lumping all Christians together in a derrogatory manner.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,827,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
If there are not enough shelters for all the homeless - then what good does it do for Sarasota to pass a law criminalizing sleeping outdoors?

In fact I think I would like to try it sometime - and I feel the government is infringing on my rights by telling me I can't do it without breaking the law.

Why is it more important that everyone have their rights to drink alcohol on the beach, text while driving, play their loud boom box, etc. But sleeping outdoors - heck no that's the bad one -

Discrimination. Plain and simple.
Just be sure they don't build more shelters....that's what happened where I live, in SE MI. The more new fancy shelters you build, then they become a magnet for all the homeless in the surrounding areas. Cops in neighboring counties would tell homeless on the street in other counties to come here, where the shelters were. So the population of homeless increases greatly, as soon as better facilities are provided. However, they don't stay inside the shelters 24/7, and they end up aggressively panhandling, and creating other problems in the city, including crime and taking over parks. The country doesn't have a good solution for the homeless which are increasing everywhere. Mental health facilities were dismantled in the 1970's and nothing was built to replace them, and dumping a lot of disabled people on the streets only increased the homeless problem. Coupled with high unemployment and increasing drug use, more and more people end up "on the street."

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM

36 posts, read 83,965 times
My husband and I avoid downtown Sarasota because of people loitering. One of them creeps me out, and every time we go downtown he's always in the same spots sitting there. Every time we go downtown we see this guy and he sees me. Some of these people are like a permanent fixtures. I have mentioned it to people about him having stalker behavior but people respond like Oh hes not harming anyone and hes always here hanging around... Im not picking on homeless but people need to know that living on the streets without money in downtown Sarasota does not exactly spell emotional wellness.

Homeless folks do not bother me so much in other towns and cities but its different in Sarasota. Some of them I suspect came from influential backgrounds and were abandoned.

It is clear to me that the city planned having the resources right in the center of everything, the bus terminal, library, and salvation army right there? The centerpiece is the Selby library which is awesome but it stinks because the majority of patrons are homeless. Unfortunately the city has no answers other then making a spectacle and controversy every time they take something away from homeless. The answer probably is to make bigger spectacles.

I like how the "homeless" have played a role shaping the new downtown, they have held their ground. There is nowhere to just hangout and relax anymore unless your dressed up and spending money, or homeless! There is nothing to really to do downtown anymore unless it is spending money and acting fabulous, or begging. We do not meet random new friends downtown anymore. Its changed, the food places are much better, but it has been the lessers expense. You cant mention this downtown but its true everyone is trying so hard to impress everyone with money, or they are avoiding derelicts.

My husband and I are from the east coast of Florida but we stay with family in Sarasota on weekends so I am not new to the town. There is an improving food scene downtown and Im glad we can afford to eat at any restaurant. My husband and I order anything we want, but where do college kids eat and socialize on a budget? Downtown is dominated by retirees but Ive noticed more crowds from who knows where, people from other countries on vacation for the beaches.

My guess is that for each homeless person downtown there are 1000 retirees trying hard to be rich. Also for every homeless person downtown there is maybe about one person employed by the city?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaw View Post
It is clear to me that the city planned having the resources right in the center of everything, the bus terminal, library, and salvation army right there? The centerpiece is the Selby library which is awesome but it stinks because the majority of patrons are homeless. Unfortunately the city has no answers other then making a spectacle and controversy every time they take something away from homeless. The answer probably is to make bigger spectacles.

My guess is that for each homeless person downtown there are 1000 retirees trying hard to be rich. Also for every homeless person downtown there is maybe about one person employed by the city?
Good lord I can't even begin to address this entire thread except to say my husband and I regularly take the bus to downtown because it is: cheap, fun, and we don't like to drink and drive.

We are not homeless, Europeans, nor are we playing rich dress up.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM

490 posts, read 625,291 times
My wife and I managed to overcome our paralyzing fear last night long enough to go downtown. We heard some great music, had a nice meal, saw some friends and took a nice walk in the park. Of course we were really just there to impress people with our money spending. Then a man looked at us and we got scared and went home.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 AM

17,553 posts, read 39,191,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
My wife and I managed to overcome our paralyzing fear last night long enough to go downtown. We heard some great music, had a nice meal, saw some friends and took a nice walk in the park. Of course we were really just there to impress people with our money spending. Then a man looked at us and we got scared and went home.
Your post has encouraged me and hubby to go downtown tonight and do the same! Hopefully we won't run into the scary man!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
You must have been heavily armed.

But it was probably worth it, I mean, to be seen out spending money.

I am inspired. Now I just need some money.

And guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area