Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM

8,630 posts, read 4,727,703 times

Advertisements

Good article today in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune about the homeless situation downtown:

Lyons: Sarasota's homeless move to Rosemary District | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Good article today in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune about the homeless situation downtown:

Lyons: Sarasota's homeless move to Rosemary District | HeraldTribune.com
quote from the article: "the bigger factor is that Central Avenue has that nice looking building at the corner of 10th street: The Salvation Army complex. It is a source of meals, showers and other services"

"...they often just wait around nearby."

Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,151,123 times
On the way to work at quarter to eight, heading west to Lido from Hillview & 41, I passed the dude with dreads on the median of 41/301, the worn down woman at the 41/Ringling Causeway intersection & just west of her, the man staking out the E/W median. They've reached their jobs before me!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM

8,630 posts, read 4,727,703 times
It struck me as a bit odd that the Salvation Army charges these homeless people $10/night for a bed. Heck that comes out to $300/mo - someone could share a full apartment with a roommate for that much money.

And then to top it off the Salvation Army puts "No Loitering" signs all around their building. Go figure.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
It struck me as a bit odd that the Salvation Army charges these homeless people $10/night for a bed. Heck that comes out to $300/mo - someone could share a full apartment with a roommate for that much money.

And then to top it off the Salvation Army puts "No Loitering" signs all around their building. Go figure.

The Salvation Army gives free beds for a set number of days per year, per person. Then they start charging $10. Their goal is to be a temporay place, not permanent. If they didn't have that limit on free days, some folks would become permanent stayers and never have an incentive to leave. Then the shelter would not have room for folks that are in need of tempy housing until they get back on their feet.

The shelters make them leave in the morning to give them incentive to work during the day. Transportation vans are provided to day labor jobs. There is help finding permanent jobs.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
If the homeless didn't congregate in the best part of town while simultaneously refusing to adapt to society's rules and norms, they'd get a lot more sympathy. Downtown Sarasota is a product of much hard work, both financially and socially. It is a crown jewel of a successful civilization, which is a fragile thing to build and maintain. Allowing society's malcontents to take advantage of the fruits of society's labor is morally wrong, but that isn't the only problem. Even worse, it breaks the spirit of all those who strive to keep humanity advancing.
While there are aspects of this sentiment with which I tend to agree, one thing always pulls me back from it:

My aunt was a nun, and the most decent human being I have ever known. She was kind in every way, and generous beyond belief. They named a street in Brooklyn after her when she passed away a few years back.

One Christmas, I looked out the window and saw a fire truck with some Santas on it, delivering presents to the house across the street from where we were that year. I said "What is WRONG with these people? Why can't they work harder and buy presents for their own kids? Don't they care? It's not like they're handicapped or anything, etc etc."

To which she replied as calmly as imaginable:

"You don't know what it's like to be that father. You have no idea how he experiences the world. For all you know, he is in what you would call excruciating pain. Wouldn't it be a handicap to be weak of will? At the end of the day, the only thing that makes sense is to accept that when someone is not doing enough for themselves, other human beings should help them."

It seems over-simplified, but I really needed to hear it that way to at least temper my extreme stance in the other direction.

So now, I don't know. But at least I KNOW that I don't know.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,325,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
While there are aspects of this sentiment with which I tend to agree, one thing always pulls me back from it:

My aunt was a nun, and the most decent human being I have ever known. She was kind in every way, and generous beyond belief. They named a street in Brooklyn after her when she passed away a few years back.

One Christmas, I looked out the window and saw a fire truck with some Santas on it, delivering presents to the house across the street from where we were that year. I said "What is WRONG with these people? Why can't they work harder and buy presents for their own kids? Don't they care? It's not like they're handicapped or anything, etc etc."

"You don't know what it's like to be that father. You have no idea how he experiences the world. For all you know, he is in what you would call excruciating pain. Wouldn't it be a handicap to be weak of will? At the end of the day, the only thing that makes sense is to accept that when someone is not doing enough for themselves, other human beings should help them."

It seems over-simplified, but I really needed to hear it that way to at least temper my extreme stance in the other direction.

This story doesn't address my post at all. Your story indicates a sympathetic view toward giving the needy something, perhaps even housing and food. It says nothing about giving them some of best real estate in Florida. THAT is the issue.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
This story doesn't address my post at all. Your story indicates a sympathetic view toward giving the needy something, perhaps even housing and food. It says nothing about giving them some of best real estate in Florida. THAT is the issue.
It does address the tone of your post, which is pedantically cruel and mean-spirited. You seem to feel that packaging your opinions as if you were John Galt absolves you from an examination of your coldness, and it does not.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

"Wouldn't it be a handicap to be weak of will?" Um, no, that would be a character defect. And, no, I don't feel the urgency to help out a guy who's a lazy bum. I'm sure your aunt was a lovely person, but frankly, I totally disagree, and it doesn't make me Darth Vader to believe that.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM

17,552 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
"Wouldn't it be a handicap to be weak of will?" Um, no, that would be a character defect. And, no, I don't feel the urgency to help out a guy who's a lazy bum. I'm sure your aunt was a lovely person, but frankly, I totally disagree, and it doesn't make me Darth Vader to believe that.
I'm with you. ^^^. My husband and I were out and about today and saw loads of bums with their cardboard signs on practically every major intersection corner. One of these days someone is going to get mowed down unintentionally or otherwise. We also saw several bums going up and down Main Street; even a few hitting up Mal's Liquors at 9:00 a.m.!

P.S. YES, I said BUMS!!!! There is a HUGE difference between the truly homeless through little or no fault of their own and the "street people" who CHOOSE that lifestyle and would rather mooch and stay addicted or whatever than help themselves. Those types are beyond rehabilitation and I don't care if this sounds mean or not, but I think the city should do whatever it has to to address the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area