Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,049 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased a home in Stoneybrook in Venice. It was built in 2008 and is concrete block. All external contact points with the ground outside are concrete. We had a termite inspection as part of the overall inspection- no termites or evidence found.

The exterminator left a brochure for on-going maintenance. They have two plans, one for common household pests and a separate one for termite protection. I want to purchase the common household plan which is $75 per quarter. Do I need the termite protection too? He quoted $599 the first year and $295 per year renewal for the termite plan. That seems like an awful lot, especially if termites are not a common problem.

When we lived on Long Island we had to watch for termites because the soil was sandy and the homes were older and made of wood. Here in northern NJ we have more problems with carpenter ants than termites, so I have Terminix come every quarter to spray for them.

Please let me know if termites are a common problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
Termites can happen in any home in Florida. Do not think that just because you have a block built home that termites can't attack because they can. And there is still wood in your home. The rafters and roof are wood. Termites can come up through cracks in the foundation and get into your home. I have seen photos of someone's bed that had termites that came up through the floor.

Do some research online. You do need termite protection down here. There are different types of termite protection plans. You can get the bait stations or the whole house total protection plan. We use Truly Nolen. http://www.trulynolen.com/

I recommend getting pest control and termite protection. If you are not happy with the quote given, check with a few other pest control companies to see what your options are.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 AM

137 posts, read 331,158 times
When I first moved to Florida, someone told me there are 2 types of houses here.....those that have termites, and those that will have termites.

There are different kinds of termites. The most aggressive are the subterranean termites which come up from the ground. The other is drywood termites. At our old home in Sarasota we had drywood termites up in the attic. Our bug guy believed they came in via a bunch of wicker baskets that the previous owner kept up on the plant shelves. He warned us that wicker baskets are very popular with termites and best to avoid them.

No termite prevention program would have prevented those termites.

That being said, every new home in Florida - they treat the ground around the home when they build the house. This treatment is generally good for 10 years. Since you said that your home was built in 2008, it's just my opinion that you don't need to spend the money since the ground around your house was treated just 5 years ago. To ease your mind, you can certainly speak to the home builder in Stoneybrook and ask them about the treatment performed prior to the house being built.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,861 times
To add my two cents worth, our home was started in 2006 and not finished until 2011. When we bought it there was evidence of termites so that 10 year plan did not hold true. It was taken care of by the contractor and we continue the termite protection. I'm not comfortable NOT having it and the pest control. Like others said, call around for prices.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
In Texas termites can come into your home from colonies in the ground via a very small crack in the foundation or through the plumbing or other service lines that come up from the soil...
we found old termite damage when we had a shower stall taken out for remodeling---
the termites had come up through a patch of open ground under our bathtub right next to shower stall...our contractor said that open patch for plumbing pipes was SUPPOSED to be sealed with hot tar after the plumbing was installed (which would be easier to take up than concrete if the plumbing needed repair later) and they just didn't --they left the 2 x 2 open patch of dirt like a welcome mat for termites...

We have also had termites come into the house from air swarming--which they do in the spring in TX when large colonies make new queens--like bees do sort of--and they take to the air...they will come into your attic or through your soffits and start working down through your rafters into the ground...

termites eat anything cellulose--the back of drywall is paper--cellulose--and they will eat that if they can't find real wood...they will eat cardboard boxes like storage boxes or shoeboxes since that is cellulose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area