Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,268 times

Advertisements

^^^

03bluecoupe
Does your status thingy mean you have been here for less than a week and you are in escrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,555,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
^^^

03bluecoupe
Does your status thingy mean you have been here for less than a week and you are in escrow?
lol - well - you could say that. The idea originally was to come down until the end of July and see what we thought.... We got here on Thursday evening and signed contracts on Memorial Day - Escrow check delivered Tuesday, inspections are today.

Just kind of "fell" into it. So to speak. - See the "Well, there goes the neighborhood... " thread in the Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte section. Wasn't sure which section to put it in given that Rotonda West isn't really in either so I just tossed a coin.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Yes - there of plenty of crappy jobs that pay less than welfare - the country is doing GREAT - Does anyone really believe the government controlled media when they say unemployment is down? Look around you and see the truth.
Truth is different in Florida than elsewhere.

The reason wages are increasing (yes, even Wal-Mart did it) is because it's harder to get workers to work for less. That means we are almost at full employment nationwide.

There is also something to gripe about if you want to look - but by most measures we are doing better now than anytime in the last 7+ years.

As far as the 1% and all - that's a continuing problem. The USA economy is set up as being corporate controlled (as was UK, which we modeled ourselves after) and this can result in lots of problems for anyone who is not in the "club".

The US has plenty of problems but overall the employment rate is not one of them. But those are probably debates best left to another forum.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:16 AM

The "truth" is the same most other places just as it is in Florida. The lamestream media just isn't willing to report the truth. The "unemployment" numbers don't factor in the number of people who have just got fed up and stopped looking. Totally bogus numbers generated by the administration, as most things are.

Anyone who believes the country is in better shape is drinking some serious Kool-aid.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,862 times
what is up with this chinese drywall that a poster mentioned on page one of this thread? how do you know if your house has chinese drywall ? is that part of a standard home inspection in florida ?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,776 times
Do a search on this forum for Chinese Drywall. The short answer is you can see signs of it, and inspector should pick it up and most of it has probably been remediated as it usually smells and you can see signs of it.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:11 PM

YEP - CDW is tough to hide. Blackens most anything copper. Fridge/AC coils, wiring, etc is probably the easiest sign to spot. Do NOTHING without a good inspection. I'd personally walk away even from a house that had been remediated, but that's just me. I tend to err on the side of caution.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:45 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
eh - Chicken Little kind of thinking.

Looking at it realistically:
1) Tornados give zero warning - there ain't no escape
2) Earthquakes give zero warning - there ain't no escape
3) Hurricanes give PLENTY of warning giving ample time to beat feet.
Now, if folks don't heed the warnings and chance riding it out, well
then all bets are off but those people knew that going in and it was
a conscious decision. Property can be replaced, people can't. GTFO
in bad scenarios would always be advisable.

Honestly, while no one would advocate NOT being prepared for the possibilities of hurricanes and the rains and hot weather are a fact of life in the summer here in sunny Florida, that piece was highly tongue in cheek, and as such, I ROFLMFAO at it, even while acknowledging the truth in what the guy had to say.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Honestly, while no one would advocate NOT being prepared for the possibilities of hurricanes and the rains and hot weather are a fact of life in the summer here in sunny Florida, that piece was highly tongue in cheek, and as such, I ROFLMFAO at it, even while acknowledging the truth in what the guy had to say.
I wasn't really saying anything "tongue in cheek" to be honest. Of course it's good to be prepared. Electric can go out etc, which is why we have a whole house generator. But believe me, if a major hurricane is bearing down? We're buttoning up, tossing the cat in the car and beating feet! (notice the word "major" )

Old 05-29-2015, 03:32 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
I wasn't really saying anything "tongue in cheek" to be honest. Of course it's good to be prepared. Electric can go out etc, which is why we have a whole house generator. But believe me, if a major hurricane is bearing down? We're buttoning up, tossing the cat in the car and beating feet! (notice the word "major" )
I don't think travelassie was referring to your post with the "tongue in check" comment. I think she was referring to the link I posted.

03bluecoupe--This is misperception is clearly a sign of "I am the center of the universe and everything is about me" syndrome. People in escrow are especially vulnerable to this syndrome. But the good thing is escrow does not last forever and perspective will return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area