Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 07:39 AM

9,357 posts, read 4,836,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It would be helpful when people post an update if they list where they saw/heard that info—

Anyone in Nokomis/Venice area now?
What are you seeing/hearing?

We are in Port St. Lucie—their weather was showing some pop up tornados—think one might have touched down for few seconds but nothing major until I went to sleep about midnight
Today out our hotel window more rain came down but didn’t hear it raining—room seems pretty insulated unless it is coming into window
I'm in Nokomis. Lot of rain and the wind is really picking up recently. I don't see any trees down or damage to my house (yet). Power still on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 07:50 AM

26,062 posts, read 13,067,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It would be helpful when people post an update if they list where they saw/heard that info—

Anyone in Nokomis/Venice area now?
What are you seeing/hearing?

We are in Port St. Lucie—their weather was showing some pop up tornados—think one might have touched down for few seconds but nothing major until I went to sleep about midnight
Today out our hotel window more rain came down but didn’t hear it raining—room seems pretty insulated unless it is coming into window
I'm not in this forum area right now, but our neighbor in Wellen Park area of Venice says no visible damage or flooded homes as of 9 am e.s.t., but the worst is still yet to come. Lanai screens holding up thus far.

The peak winds are forecast for 3pm.

I'm in Jupiter, & we've had 40+ mph gusts, and heavy rains last might, with some lightning. The outer bands arrive every hour, or so.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I'm in Nokomis. Lot of rain and the wind is really picking up recently. I don't see any trees down or damage to my house (yet). Power still on.
Just within the past 10 minutes there have been about 10 fire trucks & ambulances with sirens blaring & lights flashing going down my street in Nokomis. I can't see what happened from my window but I'm assuming it's related to the storm.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:38 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,051,988 times
Quote:
Just within the past 10 minutes there have been about 10 fire trucks & ambulances with sirens blaring & lights flashing going down my street in Nokomis. I can't see what happened from my window but I'm assuming it's related to the storm.
That is lot of ambulances and fire trucks—fire someplace maybe?
Are you close to anything like hotel?
Evac shelters are not in Nokomis—

Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm not in this forum area right now, but our neighbor in Wellen Park area of Venice says no visible damage or flooded homes as of 9 am e.s.t., but the worst is still yet to come. Lanai screens holding up thus far.

I'm in Jupiter, & we've had 40+ mph gusts, and heavy rains last might, with some lightning. The outer bands arrive every hour, or so.
Thanks
Our daughter went to friends east of 75 off Fruitville and they are having some rain but winds aren’t too bad yet
They have lot of trees around there—

We are in Port St Lucie and rain is intermittent/not heavy-but winds are starting to be constant low vs gusty like last night

Old 09-28-2022, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 12,348 times
Quote:

Hey would you mind posting an update later if possible I dont live that far from your neighbor in Wellen Park and evacuated to the east coast of Florida.

Hopefully that area holds up I'm praying hard but looks like worst case scenario.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:05 AM

26,062 posts, read 13,067,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets89 View Post
Hey would you mind posting an update later if possible I dont live that far from your neighbor in Wellen Park and evacuated to the east coast of Florida.

Hopefully that area holds up I'm praying hard but looks like worst case scenario.
I'm currently in Jupiter staying with relatives, but we own a home in Wellen Park.

We are getting updates from our neighbors there who stayed.

As of 11 am, the power in Wellen Park is still on, no serious damaged being reported yet, but the highest winds are due to hit from 3pm-7pm. I'm not sure when the water level will peak, but it hasnt peaked yet.

I'll relay any updates I get from our neighbors there in Wellen Park.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:12 AM

13 posts, read 12,348 times
Quote:
I'm currently in Jupiter staying with relatives, but we own a home in Wellen Park.

We are getting updates from our neighbors there who stayed.

As of 11 am, the power in Wellen Park is still on, no serious damaged being reported yet, but the highest winds are due to hit from 3pm-7pm. I'm not sure when the water level will peak, but it hasnt peaked yet.

I'll relay any updates I get from our neighbors there in Wellen Park.

Thank you thats much appreciated glad you got out as well hope those who stayed will be safe.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:39 AM

It's my understanding that sustained winds of 157 MPH would be a cat 5.

11 a.m. Update: Near-Category 5 Hurricane Ian's eyewall starts to move onshore with 155 mph winds

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...e/10438655002/

Hurricane Ian's eyewall was moving onshore with maximum sustained winds of 155 mph, according to the 11 a.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center. It is among the strongest storms to hit the state of Florida.

“Extremely dangerous eyewall of Ian moving onshore. Ian will cause catastrophic storm surge, winds, and flooding in the Florida peninsula soon.”

The center also said the hurricane's forward speed nudged down to 9 mph. The slower the storm moves, the longer effects will stay in the Sarasota-Manatee area. The storm remains large and will have impacts across the peninsula.

“Weakening is expected after landfall, but Ian could be near hurricane strength when it moves over the Florida East Coast tomorrow, and when it approaches the northeastern Florida, Georgia and South Carolina coasts late Friday.”

Peak storm surge is still forecast to be 12 to 18 feet in Charlotte harbor.

Meanwhile, Sarasota County’s director of communications urged county residents in Levels A and B to evacuate during a midmorning press briefing.

“The window to evacuate and go to an evacuation center, that window is rapidly closing,” said Jamie Carson, the director of communications. “The weather is deteriorating. Leave now.”

As of around 10:20 a.m., the county’s 12 evacuation shelters were still open. Once the winds reach 45 miles per hour, Sarasota County will send an alert to county residents telling them that they must shelter in place.

“Seek an interior space away from windows,” she advised. “Make sure you have your radio and your provisions.”

When different areas of the county reach wind speeds of 45 miles per hour, emergency vehicles will stop going to those areas.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
How are things now?
Our daughter lost power at their friends’ house about 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area