Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 07:34 AM

5,594 posts, read 2,322,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Does the water come inland 9 feet more (distance) or rise 9 feet higher (height)? If it rises 9 feet higher, how far inland does that go? Is it caused by rain or wind or tide?
Height. Caused by wind but tide impacts the height also. It's worse at high tide cuz the water is higher at high tide anyway. Look at your elevation certificate to check your home's elevation. Regular survey might have elevation listed as well.

Myakka River area is listed on some maps high risk. Surge can be inland as well in low areas near bodies of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 09:44 AM

4,631 posts, read 7,566,847 times
As of 10:30 am the new predicted landfall is now Venice. So apparently they are shifting the landfall location south yet again.

Wherever it lands, hopefully everyone is treating this like the serious storm it will be and making preparations. Please, if you are under mandatory evacuation orders, follow those orders.

I've lived here 38 years and we've only experienced a small handful of hits or almost hits by tropical storms or hurricanes here on the Sarasota coastline. Usually we hear all the horrific predictions, then the storm swerves or wobbles in a different direction, leaving us out of the brunt of the action. While I am hoping and praying that happens again this time, it's still better to prepare for the worst just in case.

Hoping everyone stays safe over the next couple of days.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Height. Caused by wind but tide impacts the height also. It's worse at high tide cuz the water is higher at high tide anyway. Look at your elevation certificate to check your home's elevation. Regular survey might have elevation listed as well.

Myakka River area is listed on some maps high risk. Surge can be inland as well in low areas near bodies of water.
It's higher, OK. What does that mean? How far inland? Does it go 1 mile inland at 9 feet?

Old 09-27-2022, 10:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,741,802 times
I just got a text from Sarasota County. They are now ordering Zone B to evacuate too.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
As of 10:30 am the new predicted landfall is now Venice. So apparently they are shifting the landfall location south yet again.

Wherever it lands, hopefully everyone is treating this like the serious storm it will be and making preparations. Please, if you are under mandatory evacuation orders, follow those orders.

I've lived here 38 years and we've only experienced a small handful of hits or almost hits by tropical storms or hurricanes here on the Sarasota coastline. Usually we hear all the horrific predictions, then the storm swerves or wobbles in a different direction, leaving us out of the brunt of the action. While I am hoping and praying that happens again this time, it's still better to prepare for the worst just in case.

Hoping everyone stays safe over the next couple of days.
Can you post a link to a local agency that has up to date reports?

My searches just keep landing on Yahoo and USA Today, not local. Or I get the local reports on Irma. Not Ian.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I just got a text from Sarasota County. They are now ordering Zone B to evacuate too.
Mandatory evacuation? Or voluntary? Is this on a country social media anywhere?

Old 09-27-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Mandatory evacuation? Or voluntary? Is this on a country social media anywhere?
Here you go: https://www.scgov.net/

Look at the red banner at the very top of the screen.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Here you go: https://www.scgov.net/

Look at the red banner at the very top of the screen.
Thanks I saw that, but it doesn't say whether it's mandatory or voluntary. For Irma they were issuing voluntary evacuations.

ADD
Found it on a reporter for SNN Facebook page.

UPDATE: As expected Sarasota County now adding Zone B to mandatory evacuations.

ZONE MAP: https://sarco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/i...fe8e27b904454/

original post: Manatee & Charlotte County evacuations have expanded to include Zone B. Sarasota County has not yet called for Zone B but they may later today.

CHECK YOUR LEVEL: mymanatee.org/level
CharlotteCountyFL.gov/knowyourzone

Old 09-27-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks I saw that, but it doesn't say whether it's mandatory or voluntary. For Irma they were issuing voluntary evacuations.
It's mandatory per Herald Tribune: https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...da/8122306001/

Old 09-27-2022, 12:35 PM

8,837 posts, read 4,753,301 times
2:00 p.m. | Hurricane Ian continues on path to Sarasota County

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...da/8122306001/

Hurricane Ian was 265 miles southwest of Sarasota, as of the 1 p.m. briefing from the National Weather Service in Ruskin. The Category 3 storm has 120 mph maximum winds and is moving north at 10 mph.

The forecast could see the storm make landfall in Venice in Sarasota County at 8 p.m Wednesday, as a Cat 3 hurricane with 125 mph winds and moving north-by-northeast at 7 mph.

The National Hurricane Center 2 p.m. update predicts a storm surge of 8-12 feet from north Sarasota County down to Bonita Beach in Collier County. Manatee County can expect a storm surge of 4-7 feet.

Rain is expected to be 12-16 inches across the area and could reach two feet in areas.

"Widespread considerable flash and urban flooding are expected mid-to-late week across central and northern Florida," said the NHC.

Tropical storm winds will most likely arrive by 10 p.m. Tuesday in Charlotte County, by 1 a.m. Wednesday in Sarasota County, and by 4 a.m. Wednesday in Manatee County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area