Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 05:53 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yep and DiSantis wants Fed help. Is there not an emergency group he assigned for this as well? Time to ride the storm, as a native one of many.
Never had a storm norm yet in 59 years in my part of FL or the last 100+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 06:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Good news! Please keep this thread updated. I have an elderly aunt that lives alone in Sarasota, I'm worried about her!! Thanks for posting!
This analysis does not mean we are out of the woods
It is just an update as to what the future might be
Too many variables still in play—
And there is trough in the US that will factor into the future movement of Ian’s track

Your aunt can get updates from Sarasota county emergency on her phone (if she does texting)
I get them—not sure how I signed up but there are alerts for evacuation zones
Do you know what zone she lives in? And was she here during Irma? Did she move to a shelter?
I hope it doesn’t come to that but the country is opening for sandbags tomorrow for people to get 10 bags per car—3 locations open

We started putting up our storm shutters (over our impact windows) today

I hope she has friends locally who can help her if needed…

If you have pets remember they need a crate and their shot info to go into a shelter situation

Old 09-24-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Once it moves northwest in jest upper level shear dear will allow great outflow and exhaust to help the storm super build fast.
I don’t understand what you wrote—except that if something happens in the upper level air levels the severity of Ian can build quickly
That is not to OUR benefit in this area from what I understand
Having it take longer to increase in power means it will be farther into the Gulf/west and when it turns will likely go north into Panhandle

But I understand that analyzing hurricanes is more art than science because science gives so many possibilities the farther away from landfall it is

Old 09-24-2022, 06:55 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I been through my share of hurricanes. Was on the other coast for the loop de loop cane.

They love love love to ramp up the fear.
I think it's the cable and out of town weather sites ( such as the Weather Channel, Accuweather) that emphasize the dramatic,
exxagerate, speculate on what " might happen" and present it as fact, hoping to excite and stoke fear in the viewer. I've noticed that the local news and weather channels seem much better at presenting the facts, and predictions in a calm manner, to try and relieve or minimize the anxiety and stress their viewers experience with the threat of a hurricane approaching. I noticed they started doing this in areas that had been through major hurricanes, such as Andrew, Charley, and even weaker hurricanes that piled on these folks one after another in 2004 and 2005.

I never watch either the Weather Channel or Accuweather to get real weather information. They're strictly entertainment, IMO.

Old 09-25-2022, 04:51 AM

119 posts, read 391,232 times
Hi,

Our family is new to the area and just moved into a new home in Lakewood Ranch. The home came with storm shutters stacked up in the corner of the garage. Are there any guidelines to when we need to install them? I don't have any experience with hurricanes.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don’t understand what you wrote—except that if something happens in the upper level air levels the severity of Ian can build quickly
That is not to OUR benefit in this area from what I understand
Having it take longer to increase in power means it will be farther into the Gulf/west and when it turns will likely go north into Panhandle

But I understand that analyzing hurricanes is more art than science because science gives so many possibilities the farther away from landfall it is
Looks like most of us won't get jack out of this storm norm.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:19 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunparis View Post
Hi,

Our family is new to the area and just moved into a new home in Lakewood Ranch. The home came with storm shutters stacked up in the corner of the garage. Are there any guidelines to when we need to install them? I don't have any experience with hurricanes.

Thanks
It all depends upon each homeowners level of risk tolerence.

I have the same stack of metal shutters in my garage, & I have zero intention of touching it at this time.

I'll only deploy them if a Cat 4 or 5's eye is 90% certain to hit my home. I've lived through several Cat 1,2,3's, & they are not worth the effort imho. Cat 1 & 2 are like bad thunderstorms that last for hours. Cat 3 gets a little scary, so I could understand some deploying shutters in a 3, if the you are in the cone 3 days out.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I have the same stack of metal shutters in my garage, & I have zero intention of touching it at this time.

I'll only deploy them if a Cat 4 or 5's eye is 90% certain to hit my home. I've lived through several Cat 1,2,3's, & they are not worth the effort imho. Cat 1 & 2 are like bad thunderstorms that last for hours. Cat 3 gets a little scary, so I could understand some deploying shutters in a 3, if the you are in the cone 3 days out.
Never been thru a cat anything all these years.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:41 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

We had hurricane shutters for our house in Miami. We would put them up when the area was issued a hurricane warning, regardless of the predicted intensity. We didn't usually put them up for tropical storm warnings. The thing is, most of the
property damage in a hurricane is initiated by flying debris, and if this debris hits and breaks an unprotected window, that will let some of that wind and rain inside the dwelling and cause damage inside that might have been avoided with window protection. Even the winds from a category I hurricane can pick up debris and fling it into a window, causing it to break. In fact, I've heard it said that the shutters probably prevent more damage in lower category hurricanes, where the impact from flying debris is hard enough to break windows, but most likely not hard enough to go right through the shutters. We had a 20 foot beam from our neighbors' ( across the street) come right through our shuttered living room windows during Andrew in 1992. But we were in the nothern eyewall of that storm, where they later estimated the winds to be in excess of 160 MPH.

Thank G-d, most hurricanes are not that intense, at least at landfall, so most of the time those shutters really do protect a dwelling from flying debris- related damage.

If we had shutters for our current house here in Charlotte county, we'd put them up out of an abundance of caution. Or perhaps, as my perverse thinking goes, if we did all that work putting up shutters, that will ensure that Ian gives us a wide berth- OTOH, not putting them up would guarantee us a direct hit!
But we had hurricane impact glass windows put in when we had this house built, besides the windstorm protection, we like them for the security they provide, the insulation from the bright afternoon sun, and the sound reduction. We also put in Storm Smart windstorm resistant screens around the lanai, so hope that will provide some added protection for that part of the house.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:22 AM

We are cautious
My husband is putting ours up except on on the slider we use for the lanai
He will just leave them up
Too much effort and time to take them down and partly that is because this used to be our second house and we put them up when we went back to TX after spending summer here

But we have clear hard plastic ones so we get light if they are up
The people we bought from had replaced original windows with impact resistant ones but they kept their shutters so we use them

Our daughter/SIL next door replaced their windows with impact resistant but didn’t have space to keep storing their shutters so put them out—
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area