Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving texAss View Post
that wasn't her question. she asked if the realtor, by law, is required to tell customers about chinese drywall. ..... i have wondered the same but i don't believe that there is a law protecting home buyers from unscrupulous realtors. florida lawmakers are a limp-wristed lot. there should be criminal penalties for ANYONE who knowingly sells a home with chinese drywall and does NOT divulge this fact.
By law if the Realtor is aware that the home has CDW. Yes, they are required to disclose according to Johnson vs. Davis. Which requires us to disclose any known defects to the home. There is already a law in place and we could be sued and held liable. If the Realtor is not aware that it exists in the home then obviously they are not going to disclose because they are not aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englewoodever? View Post
We are closing on our house next month and heading down to a new adventure in your area. We would appreciate your opinions so much.

Is there a big difference between wood frame and block built houses? What are they?
The obvious difference is the material, and the perception that is conveyed because of the material. Both types of construction can be engineered to withstand wind, but the general perception of the public is that a CBS house can with stand storms better. It is also generally felt that CBS homes are more resistant to termite damage.

Quote:
Is the humidity worse in any particular area? Is there a noticeable difference in breeze/heat between the three cities?
There is a notable difference in the comfort level the closer you are to the gulf. There is also much less rain fall right along the coast. At the coast you will have high low temps and lower high temps on a given day. The low lying areas inland have standing water, while along the coast it's arid.

Quote:
Has Florida passed a law to prohibit realtors from selling houses with the Chinese drywall without informing the buyer?
Florida is a disclosure state. Real Estate sales people, brokers and property owners are required to disclose know defects that materially affect the value of a property.

Quote:
I know here inspectors do not need to really have any qualifications. How will we know if an inspector really knows his stuff and gives us good estimates on what it will cost to fix something?
There are numerous designations that the industry attaches to inspectors. The county also licenses the industry. I've never worked with a home inspector that will give good estimates on the cost to repair. I don't think it's wise to expect the home inspector to do more than identify areas of concern and items that don't function. The estimates should come from the contractors that will do the work. If the inspector has some concern about a roof, the estimate should come from a licensed roofer. If there is an electrical problem the estimate should come from a licensed electrician.

Quote:
Any general differences in house insurance? What should we look for?
There is a broad range of insurers and a wide range in pricing. Most people look at monthly costs, I'd look at which company will be there when you need them, and won't make you jump through hoops to be reimbursed. The only way to accomplish that is to ask people who they have and whether they have ever had a significant claim.

Quote:
Any general difference in electric bills between the 3 towns? (our electric is five times the electric of the next town over due to different electric companies in our state)
FPL is the local provider, in my opinion the rate is low to fair.

Quote:
Any opinions on differences between well water or city water? Health issues? Taste?
I'm a big fan of reverse osmosis filtering for my drinking water. The city of Venice provides good quality water.

Quote:
Any GENERAL differences in taxes or house insurance??
Each municipality has an effect on the tax rate, be aware that there are two sections in a tax bill the ad valorem section that is based on the value of the property and the millage rate, and the non-ad valorem section that is static regardless of the value of the property.

As far as insurance, become familiar with the FEMA wind and flood designations. Being outside a flood zone will save you money on flood insurance, while you don't need flood insurance if you're not in a flood zone I suggest carrying the coverage.

Having a home built or retro-fitted to newer building codes can save considerably on the wind component of the insurance bill.

Also each area is rated by FEMA for compliance to flood mitigation policy. Compliance results in discounts on the cost of flood insurance. The good news is that Charlotte and Sarasota counties as well as Punta Gorda and Venice are diligent and the discounts apply. Englewood is half in Charlotte and Sarasota counties.

Quote:
Who would YOU recommend to TEST for mold, water issues, ants/termites issues?
I strongly recommend that people inspect a property for anything that concerns them. I have any property I'm purchasing checked for termites, and other pests, I test the water, on older properties I check for lead and asbestos, but I've never tested for mold.

Quote:
Would it cost less to have window ac as opposed to central ac because then you can have one area of house cool and one not so cool? (we have never had central ac before)
I would not suggest a window AC unit. You can close down vents in rooms you are not using.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post

I would not suggest a window AC unit. You can close down vents in rooms you are not using.
While I agree with the rest of your post, Bob, especially the answer about finding more humidity inland (that's one of the things I like about Punta Gorda) I've been taught that closing off the supply vents to rooms is generally not considered to be a good practice by people in the AC trade.

The system is sized to the square footage of the house. It will pull a predetermined amount of air in through the return grill and attempt to blow it out through the supply ducts. Closing off vents builds up pressure in the supply lines. The unit will actually work harder, your energy bill will increase, and the life of the unit would be decreased.

There is also a concern that moisture can build up in the ducts resulting in mold/mildew growth.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:52 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
that wasn't her question. she asked if the realtor, by law, is required to tell customers about chinese drywall. ..... i have wondered the same but i don't believe that there is a law protecting home buyers from unscrupulous realtors. florida lawmakers are a limp-wristed lot. there should be criminal penalties for ANYONE who knowingly sells a home with chinese drywall and does NOT divulge this fact.
Let me ask a stupid question. Why would a realtor be required by law to tell customers about something that they do not have any accurate knowledge about? They were not responsible for installing any drywall. They are functioning as a transaction agent between buyers and sellers.

So why should a realtor be liable for that? It seems like another reason others should be able to blame the realtor, or make them responsible for something they should be responsible for. Sellers, especially banks do not want to deal with this crap either. That is why the properties are being sold AS-IS. The buyer is responsible for determining what they are willing to offer, for the property - AS-IS, and not the real estate agent.

It is really a stupid question. The agent is not getting all the money, the seller is. The buyer is getting the building / property in the transaction. The agent only gets a very small percentage. Why would they want to become responsible for the significant transaction between the two parties. Buyers feel that the agent is making a huge amount of money on these deals, and it isn't true. Stop looking for others to take the responsibilty of the buyer's remorse. Spend a few bucks, and understand what your buying! Or, don't buy it! No one is forcing the buyer to do anything - they are taking the initiative - (((("why is someone else always responsible for the stupid actions of a buyer?")))) Why doesn't someone ask that question? it is more revelant!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Also, what is a HIP roof? Is that a good thing to have or not a good thing?
Here's the type of damage that can be avoided by having a hip roof:Google Image Result for http://www.floridadisaster.org/mitigation/rcmp/HRG/images/structural/gable_total_failure_bottom_large.jpg

Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 PM

66 posts, read 143,776 times
my opinion about buying homes in florida is, BEWARE. an "inspection" does NOT guarantee that you aren't buying a chinese drywall nightmare. i am certain that many homes are knowingly being sold with CDW. the scope of the CDW nightmare is enormous. i have dealt with five florida realtors and not ONE of them told me about this HUGE problem with florida real estate. EVERYONE is conning and scamming. ironically, they consider themselves, "christians" what a crock O crapolla! as an atheist, i have more scruples than the lot of them.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 PM

66 posts, read 143,776 times
Quote:
Why would a realtor be required by law to tell customers about something that they do not have any accurate knowledge about?
that's not the question. IF they have knowledge that the home contains chinese drywall they should have a legal and MORAL obligation to tell the buyer. this goes for the banks too. only a rotten SOB would knowingly sell a CDW nightmare but that's what's happening all over florida because the florida legislature is full of bought and paid for, piles O dung.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,715 times
I have been reading these posts for awhile and SoFLGal has been posting warnings regarding Chinese Drywall, probably since it has been made public. I see her as a highly honest Realtor (from my impressions of her from reading the posts and speaking to her on the phone). It is not right to say that about all Realtors. My husband and I are considering both Texas and Florida and we would love to have someone like her represent us if we choose Sarasota area.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
that's not the question. IF they have knowledge that the home contains chinese drywall they should have a legal and MORAL obligation to tell the buyer. this goes for the banks too. only a rotten SOB would knowingly sell a CDW nightmare but that's what's happening all over florida because the florida legislature is full of bought and paid for, piles O dung.
You are aware the the CDW problem isn't limited to the state of Florida aren't you? It's been found in quite a few other states including Texas. It's also been a national news item for at least the last six months. I have a hard time understanding how a person in Texas could buy a home in Florida and not be aware of a problem that's receiving so much attention in Florida and Louisiana.

Here's a story in the Dallas News from five months ago:
AP Impact: Chinese drywall poses potential risks | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | National News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/041209dnnatchinesedrywall.15775b1.html - broken link)

Is the news coverage on this outside of Florida so sparse, that people really don't know what's going on?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,024,634 times
Quote:
4. Some inspectors are certified by the American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI Cert. or NAHI certified-National Association of Home Inspectors. I know that the inspectors that are on my list have worked with me for a while. I always tell them not to worry about messing up a deal for me. I want them to find everything. There are plenty of other homes on the market if a home doesn't pass the inspection. I get feedback from the people that use my inspectors and I keep in touch with my buyers after they have bought their home so I know if things come up that should have been caught. Your Realtor should have a list of trusted inspectors.

How much does an inspection typically cost? (is it normal to include water, mold, bugs, pool or are those added costs?)

We are debating about pros and cons of having our own pool. Which communities in those 3 towns have good and reliable and clean community pools open all year round? Are they inside or outside? Being able to consistently swim in a safe clean area is very important to us but we are on a low income due to my husband being unable to work and teenagers still at home.
Believe it or not most of my competition does not belong to an Association, I myself belong to Inter Nachi. I had to take an online exam and complete many hours CEU training. Inspectors should inspect the home not the client. And look for every defect either major or minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area