Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 AM

66 posts, read 143,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I have been reading these posts for awhile and SoFLGal has been posting warnings regarding Chinese Drywall, probably since it has been made public. I see her as a highly honest Realtor (from my impressions of her from reading the posts and speaking to her on the phone). It is not right to say that about all Realtors. My husband and I are considering both Texas and Florida and we would love to have someone like her represent us if we choose Sarasota area.
that's where i learned about CDW, in these forums. no, not all real estate agents are crooks but like attorneys, they don't tell everything that they know and a good percentage of them are without morals. i had one here in texAss throw away our contract on a home. she threw it in the trash! we were lucky to learn about it.

Quote:
It's also been a national news item for at least the last six months.
i don't have a tee vee. but it doesn't matter. IF THE SELLER OR AGENT KNOWS THAT A HOME CONTAINS CDW THEY SHOULD ALERT THE BUYER. everyone knows that an inspector can miss CDW. inspection is NOT a guarantee that you aren't buying a nightmare home. our limp-wristed "leaders" in EVERY STATE, MUST make laws regarding the disclosure of CDW to protect the citizens that they represent.

Quote:
By law if the Realtor is aware that the home has CDW. Yes, they are required to disclose according to Johnson vs. Davis. Which requires us to disclose any known defects to the home. There is already a law in place and we could be sued and held liable. If the Realtor is not aware that it exists in the home then obviously they are not going to disclose because they are not aware of it.
this is where agents have deniability. it should also be a law that banks MUST disclose information about CDW to their selling agents. we all know that the banks are selling CDW homes to unsuspecting buyers. if there are laws protecting buyers they are NOT being enforced. furthermore, the laws must have criminal penalties because buyers who were sold a lemmon home always had the option to sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:18 AM

15 posts, read 38,058 times
KBuild -- could you give me your info please so I can add it to my list? How much would you charge for an inspection -- also, does it cost extra if the house has been foreclosed on and thus everything is shut off (water, ac)? My husband has a real thing about water pressure since the home he grew up in had none. He literally told me he would walk away from any deal if the water pressure wasn't up to normal!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 AM

15 posts, read 38,058 times
Well....I can see that it is difficult to get true and accurate information on the Chinese Drywall issue. So, let's say we buy a foreclosed home "AS IS" and lo and behold it has Chinese Drywall that the inspector did not catch and neither did we in the walk through....how much for the complete and total overall of a 1600 square foot home to be made livable?? I have a child with moderate to severe allergies and I am very concerned about this issue and how to protect ourselves. (If we buy an older home we won't have to worry but we will likely be paying more for insurance....if we buy a newer home we will pay less in insurance but ?)

Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englewoodever? View Post
Well....I can see that it is difficult to get true and accurate information on the Chinese Drywall issue. So, let's say we buy a foreclosed home "AS IS" and lo and behold it has Chinese Drywall that the inspector did not catch and neither did we in the walk through....how much for the complete and total overall of a 1600 square foot home to be made livable?? I have a child with moderate to severe allergies and I am very concerned about this issue and how to protect ourselves. (If we buy an older home we won't have to worry but we will likely be paying more for insurance....if we buy a newer home we will pay less in insurance but ?)
I can't tell you how much it would cost to drywall a home but I can tell you that often much more is effected than just the drywall. The drywall is caustic/corrosive and sometimes you will have A/C's that fail, copper wiring that is effected, faucets that are pitted, etc

So, I don't think it's as clear cut as just replacing drywall. Sorry to add more confusion but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM

66 posts, read 143,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englewoodever? View Post
Well....I can see that it is difficult to get true and accurate information on the Chinese Drywall issue. So, let's say we buy a foreclosed home "AS IS" and lo and behold it has Chinese Drywall that the inspector did not catch and neither did we in the walk through....how much for the complete and total overall of a 1600 square foot home to be made livable??
i read a story on the net where the people had all of the CDW removed and replace with good drywall and they STILL have problems. looks like that caustic CDW contaminates other areas of the home so replacing the CDW may NOT solve the problem.

homes that have been inspected and are known to contain CDW should, by law, be labeled with a warning on the front door. otherwise, the home will just keep being re-listed and then new potential buyers will have to pay for more inspections. this could continue until an inspector misses the problem and the house is sold to an unsuspecting family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area