Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM

165 posts, read 507,645 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the South (in AL) and lived in MS for 6 years before moving to Savannah last year, so it suffices to say that I am a tried and true Southerner.

I will agree that the South does have a reputation for being a bigoted, close-minded place due to public incidents many years ago. Is it any more racist than the rest of the country? Most likely not. However, we have a horrible reputation to overcome.

There are bigots around here from all races. There are those who try to put others down as well as those who use their own race to explain their lack to success or to elevate their positions...all of which are racist attitudes. Are there going to be big marches from some race-related organization? Most likely not, but no one can pretend that everyone they encounter are perfectly accepting of all different types of people.

Here's an example: I, as a white lady, was approached last year by a member from the Black Panther Party asking me to support their favored candidate in an election. I honestly didn't know how to take it...first of all I was suprised that there still IS a Black Panther Party, but they obviously didn't have any problem asking me to support their candidate. So how bad is it? It depends on those you encounter I guess.

It is unfair to expect anywhere to be Utopian...people are flawed and bring their flawed views to the table all of the time. However, it is also unfair to judge the American South based on the stupidity of some well-publicized incidents of the past. The South is still filled with Southern Hospitality which is (by most people) extended to all people alike. You would most likely be well-received by most Savannahians regardless of your race. Those who would not accept you also would not accept anyone else different than themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM

16 posts, read 70,912 times
OK, so kudos Al. I still think I stay up north and freeezzzeee... I have a problem with the humidity so that kind of rules out Georgia. I would love to go West but Hubby says no... He wants the heat and golf courses. So I guess I'm trying to find a problem with the whole state as to convice him that he shouldn't like it either. I dunno - too many places so little traveling!

In regards to my rant, sorry I get testy too.

Hope all is well as we are all freezing in 10 degrees Western NY!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnespy View Post
I was born and raised in the South (in AL) and lived in MS for 6 years before moving to Savannah last year, so it suffices to say that I am a tried and true Southerner.

I will agree that the South does have a reputation for being a bigoted, close-minded place due to public incidents many years ago. Is it any more racist than the rest of the country? Most likely not. However, we have a horrible reputation to overcome.

There are bigots around here from all races. There are those who try to put others down as well as those who use their own race to explain their lack to success or to elevate their positions...all of which are racist attitudes. Are there going to be big marches from some race-related organization? Most likely not, but no one can pretend that everyone they encounter are perfectly accepting of all different types of people.

Here's an example: I, as a white lady, was approached last year by a member from the Black Panther Party asking me to support their favored candidate in an election. I honestly didn't know how to take it...first of all I was suprised that there still IS a Black Panther Party, but they obviously didn't have any problem asking me to support their candidate. So how bad is it? It depends on those you encounter I guess.

It is unfair to expect anywhere to be Utopian...people are flawed and bring their flawed views to the table all of the time. However, it is also unfair to judge the American South based on the stupidity of some well-publicized incidents of the past. The South is still filled with Southern Hospitality which is (by most people) extended to all people alike. You would most likely be well-received by most Savannahians regardless of your race. Those who would not accept you also would not accept anyone else different than themselves.

Great reply, I agree. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 PM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopidoo View Post
OK, so kudos Al. I still think I stay up north and freeezzzeee... I have a problem with the humidity so that kind of rules out Georgia. I would love to go West but Hubby says no... He wants the heat and golf courses. So I guess I'm trying to find a problem with the whole state as to convice him that he shouldn't like it either. I dunno - too many places so little traveling!

In regards to my rant, sorry I get testy too.

Hope all is well as we are all freezing in 10 degrees Western NY!
And it is supposed to get up to 75/76 tomorrow.
And dry as my throat right now.
With another glorious day to follow.

I wish you well.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
And it is supposed to get up to 75/76 tomorrow.
And dry as my throat right now.
With another glorious day to follow.

I wish you well.
Hahahaha! We may have a bit of ice storm on the way... YUCK

Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 AM

"Hahahaha! We may have a bit of ice storm on the way... YUCK "

Been there, done that.
Even bought the shirt.

Your hubby wants heat, and golf?
Have you thought about San Diego?
I can't afford it anymore, but I don't know your circumstances.
Maybe you can?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 AM

165 posts, read 507,645 times
There's a lot of golf in Las Vegas. PLENTY of heat (for him) and no humidity (for you).

Granted I personally wouldn't want to live there, but that's okay since you're not offering to bring me along. Obviously there are plenty of people who do want to live there. I have a friend who grew up there and it's definitely possible to grow up there and not be swamped by The Strip and its chaos.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:49 AM

I love Vegas.
And, like the previous poster, I wouldn't wanna live there either.
But for waaay different reasons.
Gambling, drinking, and women being high on my list.

One of my good friends on one of my message boards is planning to retire there in three years.
He doesn't gamble.
He doesn't do much drinking.
And he's happily married.
But there is a wealth of things there to do anyway.

HTH

Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
Default we are 2

I know the feeling. you know how they always say that racism is not around any longer. well they are very wrong. I have grown up in oklahomaand no we dont live in teepees or ride around on horses. which i hear most people think if they have never been here. but we do have a problem with raceism. My neice came home a few days ago upset that she could not play with another little girl because she was black. ( keep in mind that she is only 5) this was very hard for her mother and myself to explain to her. well after this insadent my boyfriend and i decided to move. we have been considering savannah but there is nobody to explain to us how the people coraspond down there. which would be very usefull. so if you have recived any information please let us know. it would be greatly apperaciated!

samantha & deon

Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I have friend who grew up in OK but lives here now. She gets by pretty well. She's just as normal and smart as anyone. She is rather freaked out by the crime in the older parts of Savannah so she lives out in the burbs, sort of.

What do you want to know? Have you read through the hundreds of posts about Savannah, both pro and con?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area