Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 AM

16 posts, read 70,912 times

Advertisements

I know this post is bound to stir the pot, however I have a question... I live in Rochester NY which is a racially divided and charged city. For some reason everything here is based on race. It doesn't matter what race!! There is way too much racial tension and you can feel it.

We are planning to relocate, I would love to move to Georgia. I see that there is quite a blend of races in most of the cities in Georgia. Please tell me that everyone gets along??? At least as best as any human population does for that matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Savannah is a Port City. Because of this we have had a long relationship with many different ethnic groups. Italian, Irish, Greek, African, East Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Native American, Canadian, Mexican, various Hispanic, Haitian, Jamaican, and you name it.

You will probably find more dissension because of politics or religion. However, if you happen to make your home between two bigots, you will find all the tension you would ever want. If you go looking for trouble, you will find it. As long as the neighbors don't have to call the police, most people can find a section of the city where they fit in.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks! I'll try to avoid the bigots... I'm learning that this problem is everywhere!!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:07 PM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
From a previous thread...
Here we go again.

"Sorry folks, but I hadda chime back in.

I was born in Manhattan...
Raised in Da Bronx, and out on Lawn Giland.

I've lived in N.Y. for thirty years.
I've lived in San Diego for twenty years.
I've lived in Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) for eleven and a half.
And I've been down here for the last five months.
I asked a buncha questions before I moved down here.
I got buncha answers before I made the move.
And I am truly in love with Savannah now that I am here.

Ain't nobody telling you where to live.
You sound like a "Big Boy", and you can make your own choices.
All anybody on this forum is doing is answering your questions, and giving you advice.
You listen, you make up your OWN mind.
'Nuf said.

Ps: I'm 62 years old.
Through my life I've had...
White folk
Black folk
Mexican folk
and a buncha others as "Best Friends" at different times.
What I truly love about being here is that I can have them all again...
At once!"

Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 AM

8 posts, read 24,349 times
koopido

you brought up the race issue seems like youll never get away from it as long as you bring it up

i spent quite a bit of time in rochester all i remember were lots of gay folks and plenty of catholic churches , nothin about race

Old 12-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
From a previous thread...
Here we go again.

"Sorry folks, but I hadda chime back in.

I was born in Manhattan...
Raised in Da Bronx, and out on Lawn Giland.

I've lived in N.Y. for thirty years.
I've lived in San Diego for twenty years.
I've lived in Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) for eleven and a half.
And I've been down here for the last five months.
I asked a buncha questions before I moved down here.
I got buncha answers before I made the move.
And I am truly in love with Savannah now that I am here.

Ain't nobody telling you where to live.
You sound like a "Big Boy", and you can make your own choices.
All anybody on this forum is doing is answering your questions, and giving you advice.
You listen, you make up your OWN mind.
'Nuf said.

Ps: I'm 62 years old.
Through my life I've had...
White folk
Black folk
Mexican folk
and a buncha others as "Best Friends" at different times.
What I truly love about being here is that I can have them all again...
At once!"

I'm not a "big boy" I'm a woman! And I am simply asking questions about an area in which I have never been. Judging by the responses I've recieved I suppose I'll just stay home!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHoser View Post
koopido

you brought up the race issue seems like youll never get away from it as long as you bring it up

i spent quite a bit of time in rochester all i remember were lots of gay folks and plenty of catholic churches , nothin about race

When was that back in the 70's???? Rochester, NY has the highest crime per capita in the entire state. Even more so than "Da Bronx" Al....Try it now.. And why do people have to act like race is a big secret??? Why is it wrong to bring it up??? I suppose I shouldn't use this forum for asking legitimate questions... I am simply trying to find a place where I feel comfortable and don't have to worry about my kids being harrased because of the color of their skin or the financial status of their parents.

nuff said

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
It's not the wrong thing to bring up. Does everybody get along? NO.

Do most people get along? YES.

Savannah is not the most racist city in Georgia. It might be one of the better cities in the state in that regard. But to state that we don't have divisions or problems would be a lie.

If you're looking for perfect, you won't find it here. But there are plenty of people living here who do their best.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am by no means an expert, since I have only visited several times and my son lives in Savannah. I live in Ohio now and Massachusetts before that.. neither place a heavy concentration of African Americans.
I have personnally noticed that the politeness that is ingrained in many people in the south, also seems to be reflected in the black people I've encountered down there.
For the most part, I've had only the most courteous dealings with the black folks down south.
This being said, my husband has a sales territory in the south and has encountered more than a few white people (always older people) who are openly prejudiced.
Bottom line...I think you get back whatever you put out there.

On the bad side, the only crime we've ever experienced has been in Georgia and it's always been by black people.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,779 times
"I'm not a "big boy" I'm a woman! And I am simply asking questions about an area in which I have never been. Judging by the responses I've recieved I suppose I'll just stay home!!!!"

Koopidoo!
I am not trying to ruin your rant, but...
My post was orignally to a guy that was bringing up the same questions that you are. It started to get a bit, hummm, testy. I just told him how I felt, is all. And now he, and I, are friends.
You have got to read more of the threads on this board before you take offense, is all.
I know now that you are a woman with real concerns.
I wasn't being flip.
I just didn't wanna hafta write the whole post again, and edit it. That's why I just used it the way it was.
Sorry if it offended you Darlin'.
And, yes, I really do talk that way down heah.
I'd prolly call you "Sister" if I met you face to face.

Peace and Love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area