Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Any "aliens" would know not to enter our atmosphere, as even a mild pathogen would kill them.
Well, if our fictional 'aliens' have managed to conquer the challenges of interstellar/intergalactic travel, one might also presume that their medical technology is sufficiently advanced that they have solutions for that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 10:28 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Any "aliens" would know not to enter our atmosphere, as even a mild pathogen would kill them.
Not so sure about that - there are two sides to that coin. Terrestrial pathogens are the result of billions of years of evolution and finely tuned to terrestrial organisms, right? If our aliens aren't DNA-based, for instance, viruses would just bounce off.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:31 AM

20,664 posts, read 4,433,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
They would probably play games with us, such as outcomes. Negotiate time, plant seeds, observe human behavior. Fast forward to our own demise if they require our rock. Perhaps they could read earth like a book and pick the time period that suits them.

They've been doing that for years. There have been documented sights of alien activity for years.
Alien lifeforms have probably been living amongst us for years. They have been slowly planting seeds of mis-intelligence in the minds of the young. This making them more useless overtime. Mtv, VH1, E!, and the rest of the lot. The young blindly follow what they tell them.

I fear for when the attack comes.

"Doc, you gotta help us!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5BfQ4rEqQ

Old 04-22-2020, 12:35 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
they might release a virus that will destroy mankind from within.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-22-2020, 02:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Interesting theories I've heard over the years...

1. They've already come. They visit often. All the presidents have known about them.

(a) We are a food source for them
(b) We are Disney World to them
(c) They've been exiled here and co-mingle with us all the time.

2. Heard a lady say, on the radio, that the way you can tell someone is an alien is to pay attention to how they dress. If it's freezing outside, but they're dressed in shorts and tshirt (or the equivalent) they're alien. If it's hot as hades outside, but you see someone dressed like they're ready to ski the alps, they're alien. LOL

Old 04-22-2020, 02:33 PM

84 posts, read 43,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Interesting theories I've heard over the years...

1. They've already come. They visit often. All the presidents have known about them.

(a) We are a food source for them
(b) We are Disney World to them
(c) They've been exiled here and co-mingle with us all the time.

2. Heard a lady say, on the radio, that the way you can tell someone is an alien is to pay attention to how they dress. If it's freezing outside, but they're dressed in shorts and tshirt (or the equivalent) they're alien. If it's hot as hades outside, but you see someone dressed like they're ready to ski the alps, they're alien. LOL

LOL is right

Old 04-22-2020, 02:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I frequently have dreams where I'm witnessing the beginnings of an alien invasion. I have the dreams every few months.

It always starts out that I'm at an air show, watching Jet Fighters doing aerial maneuvers. Then something changes, and I realize the fighter jets aren't 'performing' for the audience benefit. Something has changed, and now everything has moved up high in the sky, and there's maneuvers and evasions and actual fighting.

Sometimes I realize we're being invaded before other people in the crowd, and I urge everyone to run. (Where are we going to go? I don't know.) Other times, it seems like we all "get it" about the same time. Something's different, and we're being invaded.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:36 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I imagine they'll come here, disguised as humans, trying to blend in as best they can.

Gradually, with their superior mental abilities and technologies, they'll get into positions of power and assume control of the entire planet.

For the average Joe and Jane, though, life will go on much as before. Really, it won't make much difference to most of us.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:43 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Just a wild guess, but I think they would begin their invasion by allowing a virus to infect the population. Most people (something like eighty percent) would show only mild symptoms, or be asymptomatic. Once everyone is infected with it and appears "cured", they appear to show to total immunity to the effects of the respiratory disease. But when they die, for whatever reason, their brain stems regenerate, leaving them with only a minimal amount of brain function but with motor function intact, and an insatiable desire for human flesh; their reanimated corpses then walk the earth, killing and eating living persons.

After a decade or so of this, the aliens just walk in, kill off whatever zombies and humans remain, and the planet is theirs.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hollywood movies... Showing us giant flying saucers UFO's coming into our atmosphere positioning in our most important cities around the world, where typically the US president and a hero who carries the 50% of the responsibilities to save humanity defeat aliens who decided to attack us and whose technology is thousands of years above ours. A virus loaded from Windows 95 OS canceling alien's defense systems and so on. But those are movies, made to entertain us.

However, is time to put our feet on the ground. I know an alien invasion is highly unlikely, if not almost impossible. Who cares about us outside this little planet? Are we enough important to justify wasting tons of resources to destroy us and/or our planet? Aliens do exist? Aliens are close to us?

But take this as a game. Let's suposse aliens do exist, they can reach us (our planet) and they are interested in attacking us whatever their reason would be. How would you imagine an alien invasion? I am interested in your reasoning, with scientific and technology knowledge. I have my opinion, based on articles and other sources but I would like to read yours.

PS. I know this would be Science Fiction rather than Science but I couldn't find a Science Fiction section. Excuse me if I posted this in the wrong place.
Aliens most likely do exist. The universe is astronomical (pun intended) in it's size. Of course we have no conclusive proof as of now, but it's highly likely. Interstellar travel is a problem though. The nearest star to us Proxima Centauri is over 4 light years away, that's over 23 trillion miles!!. There are far more practical places to look for resources, then waste travel so long to reach Earth.

However, in the unlikely scenario that were to happen, we'd probably be toast. Any civilization that has mastered interstellar travel could crush humanity without much effort. Fantasy/sci-fi is rife with stories featuring underdogs standing up to more technology advanced organizations (like the Ewoks in Star Wars), but there's a point at which it no longer becomes plausible.

No humans aren't important in the grand scheme of things as they have such a small footprint in the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology