Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'm liking it. The problem with gardening certain things in the Seattle area is that they need extended days of warm, sunny weather. So tomatoes sometimes don't get a chance to turn red because it didn't get warm and sunny until July, and then cools off and gets rainy in September.
I have a lot of green tomatoes, but with a little more warmth and sunshine, they'll turn red.
Plus I'm having my most successful season ever growing melons. I can't explain it.
I have all but given up on my tomatoes this year...but maybe...just maybe mine will turn red too.

Haven't tried growing melons in years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
I am so glad Seattle and the Pacific Northwest finally had extended sunny dry weather with above average temperatures!

A lot of people worried as recently as July that Seattle's climate was permanently getting cloudier/wetter/colder. Looks like Seattle's climate might not change like that after all and that it was a brief phase with the weather there being cloudier/wetter/colder than usual.

New York City where I am right now on the other hand, had 19 inches of rain this past August. That makes it the wettest August ever and all time wettest month in recorded history for NYC!

NYC also had a noticeable amount of below average temperatures for August and September so far. Today for example, NYC was 15 degrees below average with a high only in the low 60s(62 degrees) where it should be in the upper 70s/low 80s.

I don't think even Seattle ever got that much rain in a single month before(19 inches), but maybe it did, or at least getting close to it before.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,158 times
Quote:
"High temperatures are forecast to increase as the week progresses, with highs in the low 80s on Tuesday, then mid-upper 80s on Wednesday, followed by a three-to-four day streak of highs in the upper 80s or low 90s as the thermal trough reaches its peak and the air mass warms further. Right now, we have expected highs in Seattle proper just under 90 Thursday through Saturday and possibly even into Sunday, and the foothills and southwestern Washington should easily cross into the 90s"
I know that in the scheme of things that's not really hot and I have nothing to complain about (I'm from Vegas for heaven's sake), but I am not looking forward to those days. 80-82 I can handle though I'd prefer the 70s. But when you work from home and there's no AC and only two portable AC units and a couple fans, it's not so comfy, especially upstairs. I don't have any windows facing south that open, so I don't get a great cross breeze, that's if it's even breezy anway. I've found that there is a certain sweet spot for cooling off by opening windows. Around 80 and it stays cool inside....but 90 and it will be too hot out for the open windows to do any good. Guess I'll be camped in the basement those days.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I am so glad Seattle and the Pacific Northwest finally had extended sunny dry weather with above average temperatures!

A lot of people worried as recently as July that Seattle's climate was permanently getting cloudier/wetter/colder. Looks like Seattle's climate might not change like that after all and that it was a brief phase with the weather there being cloudier/wetter/colder than usual.

New York City where I am right now on the other hand, had 19 inches of rain this past August. That makes it the wettest August ever and all time wettest month in recorded history for NYC!

NYC also had a noticeable amount of below average temperatures for August and September so far. Today for example, NYC was 15 degrees below average with a high only in the low 60s(62 degrees) where it should be in the upper 70s/low 80s.

I don't think even Seattle ever got that much rain in a single month before(19 inches), but maybe it did, or at least getting close to it before.
Seattle's never had 19 inches of rain in a month. The highest ever recorded was December 2006, at 15.63 inches.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM

21 posts, read 48,815 times
I really have to laugh when I hear about people complaining about the Seattle area weather. I have lived in at least half the states in this country and they all have their good and bad aspects.

I found the PNW, particularly north of Seattle, to be wonderful. If you are a nature nut, as I am, you can do something outside everyday of the year if you are dressed for it. Try living in Southern states where it rains nearly everyday during the summer with heat indexes of 105-115 degrees. Add the tropical depressions, storms and hurricanes and you are living in hades. You guys in the PNW have it easy and should be happy for the natural beauty at your doorstep.

The only negative comment I can think regarding the PNW is that the traffic planning boards that plan for future traffic flow to population growth ate totally clueless and should be fired.

God truly blessed the beauty of the PNW. If you love hiking, camping, fishing and hunting, you have found Paradise.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Blazer View Post
I really have to laugh when I hear about people complaining about the Seattle area weather. I have lived in at least half the states in this country and they all have their good and bad aspects.

I found the PNW, particularly north of Seattle, to be wonderful. If you are a nature nut, as I am, you can do something outside everyday of the year if you are dressed for it. Try living in Southern states where it rains nearly everyday during the summer with heat indexes of 105-115 degrees. Add the tropical depressions, storms and hurricanes and you are living in hades. You guys in the PNW have it easy and should be happy for the natural beauty at your doorstep.

The only negative comment I can think regarding the PNW is that the traffic planning boards that plan for future traffic flow to population growth ate totally clueless and should be fired.

God truly blessed the beauty of the PNW. If you love hiking, camping, fishing and hunting, you have found Paradise.
You are so right about this. Even in the San Diego area where I curently am which is supposed to have such great weather was 99 degrees yesterday with a dew point of 70 which put the heat index at 105! The PNW has great weather really as it generally lacks extremes. Also, I agree if you're a nature nut it can't be beat.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
....And since July 1st of this year, Seattle has received a total of 0.84 inches of rain. That's right, less than an inch. It doesn't normally range much in July and August, but since July 1st, we've received about half the rain we normally get. Oh, we'll more than make up for it in a couple of months. Some people think it rains in Seattle all the time. They don't realize we get these delightful, mild, dry summers.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle's never had 19 inches of rain in a month. The highest ever recorded was December 2006, at 15.63 inches.
No kidding? I think that was right before I bugged out of Seattle, which might have been around March of 2007 ..... I remember finally getting fed up with all the rain and gloom, which hadn't bothered me all that much the previous winter, and started yearning for the dry sunshiny weather of California, so much so that I up and left without any money or an apartment.

Well, it turned out that I was going from the frying pan into the fire, soon after I arrived the Mt Shasta area got hit with prolonged nasty, windy, rainy, and snowy weather ...... that's typical for me ...... my brother said I seem to bring a dark cloud above my head wherever I go.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM

299 posts, read 666,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Blazer View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself. The PNW is beautiful any time of year, even this last winter-spring-early summer when it seemed like the gloomy weather would never end. I knew we would make up for it with those magnificent clear blue skies I heard so much about, and we did during August and so far in September. It's like the lyrics in that old song say, along with the sunshine, there's gotta be a little rain sometimes. Being a rain lover myself, I can deal with what's ahead in the coming months.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
I am currently in my last week of work in the Tri-Cities. I've been hearing about how nice it is back home, but it's been absolutely awesome out here! So dry, so warm, and at times HOT! I am in the desert out here, after all! Can't wait to start calling this place home! It's absolutely beautiful out here too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area