Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 PM

72 posts, read 318,493 times

Advertisements

Is there anybody out there who has lived in both Seattle and Bellingham for substanital periods of time??? What's your take on which has better weather???

We're considering moving to Seattle or Bellingham.
We've visited both cities many times and love both --- for different reasons.
But we've usually visited in the summer and the weather has been great in both places.

We've been comparing the weather in both cities on
Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground for about a year now.

It seems like the barometric pressure in Bellingham is usually slightly higer then in Seattle, and that sometimes when it is raining in Seatttle it is not raining in Bellingham.

We don't mind rain and clouds, we love all the greenery, and we love the relatively mild temps of both Seattle and Bellingham.

But do you think Bellingham is slightly less rainy, or slightly more sunny, then Seattle??? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg9999 View Post
Is there anybody out there who has lived in both Seattle and Bellingham for substanital periods of time??? What's your take on which has better weather???

We're considering moving to Seattle or Bellingham.
We've visited both cities many times and love both --- for different reasons.
But we've usually visited in the summer and the weather has been great in both places.

We've been comparing the weather in both cities on
Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground for about a year now.

It seems like the barometric pressure in Bellingham is usually slightly higer then in Seattle, and that sometimes when it is raining in Seatttle it is not raining in Bellingham.

We don't mind rain and clouds, we love all the greenery, and we love the relatively mild temps of both Seattle and Bellingham.

But do you think Bellingham is slightly less rainy, or slightly more sunny, then Seattle??? Thanks in advance.
They're quite similar. Let me admit I don't live there but have a friend who's lived in both and currently is in Bellingham. I think Bellingham is more prone to slightly more extreme (relatively speaking here) wheather variations.
Bellingham, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Bellingham gets 3-8 degrees colder than Seattle for most months of the year, including winter and the summer. Bellingham can get more extreme temperatures. Bellingham seems to be in a rain shadow even more than Seattle and gets a bit less precipitation per year, and slightly more sunshine. When I visited Seattle and Bellingham in mid August 2009 it was very lush and green in Seattle but when I got to Bellingham, the landscape was more brown, and I was surprised. I think the Bellingham area is usually as lush and green as Seattle. Bellingham seemed to have a drought in mid August 2009.

Overall though, they both have identical climates.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
NUB, are you looking to become a meteorologist? Honest question. I notice you seem very passionate about weather.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
I am born and raised Seattle. I lived there for 50 years. Moves to B'ham 5 years ago.

Biggest difference. Slightly cooler both in summer and winter.

It's really not a big deal.

I still love Seattle and miss many things about it. But the schools are better here and the traffic, well, compared to Seattle there is none.

Anyway, it's only slightly more than an hour away.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
To Inkpoe:

Its easy to help people out on city-data when they have weather questions.

I care about weather, but not really that much. I do find Washington state's particular weather interesting, though, and how people perceive the weather/climate here. I am far more interested in other things in life. I want to become an architect.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 AM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
I have lived in both places and Bellingham does get a little less rain than Seattle. However once you drive North of Bham, the story quickly changes. There are times in the winter when the wind chill in Bham can feel frigid due to the Fraser Valley Outflow. There seems to be a few more sunny days in the winter, but summers can be a bit cloudier when compared to Seattle.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Bellingham has been hit a lot worse in the past few winters with snow and ice events, mainly due to the Fraser Valley Outflow that Arushan brought up. The Fraser Valley acts like a pipe to pump air from the frigid arctic regions into the Bellingham area.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Weather is not to my personal liking in both, but Bellingham is a little bit more cold. They will have snow, when we don't.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Bellingham has been hit a lot worse in the past few winters with snow and ice events, mainly due to the Fraser Valley Outflow that Arushan brought up.
Yes and no. The 08-09 winter was the worst I can remember. But 09-10 we had only a dusting, very mild here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area