Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,351 times

Advertisements

So ... sunny in Seattle, totally overcast in So Cal - weird!
By the way, do people typically own/need snow chains in western WA???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
So ... sunny in Seattle, totally overcast in So Cal - weird!
By the way, do people typically own/need snow chains in western WA???
Most folks I know don't have chains - but it depends a bit on WHERE you live in western Washington and whether or not you like to ski. If you like to ski you'll want chains so that you can easily visit the ski areas an hour or so away up at the passes.

I live the Seattle metro area and don't own a set of chains. Used to own a set and put them on ONCE (in 40 YEARS). The lowlands of western Washington don't get snow very often. In a typical winter it may happen once or twice a year and hang around at most each time for a week (more often maybe 3-4 days each time). Some winters we don't get any snow at all - but usually we get SOME. Most folks - if they bother doing anything at all - just make do with snow tires (in truth all-weather tires make more sense here because we get WAYYYYY more rain than snow).

Now, having said that, when we DO get a signficant snow Seattle pretty much shuts down - partially because SO FEW FOLKS ARE EQUIPPED TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW (go figure eh?). Another BIG factor in that though is the fact that most cities here are NOT well-equipped with snow plows - there just aren't enough of them to clear all the roads quickly. The main roads get cleared pretty quick, but most side roads are not touched at all. What this means is that once you get to the main roads you can usually get around pretty well - but getting out of your street could be a problem. Using chains WILL help you get to the main roads but at that point they usually become deteriment once those main roads are cleared (even though the street that you live on is NOT). In short, they are a PAIN in Seattle - useful on side streets but a hazard to your cars paint job once you get out of your neighborhood. So, most people don't bother.

The other thing to consider is that even in good weather Seattle has TERRIBLE traffic. When it SNOWS (even a LITTLE) the combination of numerous hills, folks with little experience driving in the snow (and usually NO chains or even snow tires), too few snow plows, and temps that often hover right AROUND the freezing mark when it snows (meaning wet slick snow instead of dry powdery snow) all combine to produce a traffic NIGHTMARE.

Consequently most people leave work early at the first sighting of a single snowflake (only a SLIGHT (and I DO mean SLIGHT) exaggeration there) and takes days off until the next rain comes in and washes the roads clear.

In even a relatively light snow - that folks back east would not even blink at - Seattle more or less SHUTS DOWN.

Ken

Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Actually, more like 56 and sunny right now. Its really been a very mild and beautiful autumn. Almost makes up for the the late onset summer.
I said wow cuz it was 52 there and 92 here. It will be in the 70s all next week

Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Right now, Seattle seems to be having what San Francisco normally has in mid winter. That's ok too. Sun has not come out in almost 3 days in San Diego and there's occasional light drizzle and we have a chance of rain early next week. For now I guess, Seattle can keep the sun and I'll be happy with this

Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

In even a relatively light snow - that folks back east would not even blink at - Seattle more or less SHUTS DOWN.
Ken
Thanks for the info, Ken! Moral of the story, for me: when that first snowflake appears, HUNKER DOWN!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:49 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,671,961 times
Fun discussion!

Seattle is totally unruly when it comes to weather. From year to year it is a total crapshoot. Some years can be great, some years are hell. There is really no consistency to Seattle weather. Thus, when people complain about Seattle's weather, they really just need to wait and things will be OK.

Last edited by pw72; 10-16-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Fun discussion!

Seattle is totally unrulely when it comes to weather. From year to year it is a total crapshoot. Some years can be great, some years are hell. There is really no consistency to Seattle weather. Thus, when people complain about Seattle's weather, they really just need to wait and things will be OK.
Yeah, Seattle really has pretty "easy" weather compared to the rest of the country. It's REALLY REALLY MILD here - not very hot in the summer, not very cold in the winter, very little snow - and surprisingly - not typically very heavy rain. It DOES however RAIN OFTEN - just (usually) very lightly (for days and days and days on end - at least that's the way it SEEMS). It's also cloudy a LOT - especially in the winter (but NOT usually very cold (even in January the average nighttime low is above freezing).

Ken

Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
A girl I know in Seattle explained the weather to me something like this:

Besides the gloomy dampness in winter, there are the March and October storms which we often call the spring and autumn storms because the March storms can sometimes last into May and the October storms can start in September. June is hit and miss from year to year between light showers. July and August are usually pretty nice minus an occasional shower.

A bit of an exaggeration but it sums up the unpredictability of Seattle's mild but fickle climate.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM

402 posts, read 1,021,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
It's 55 and sunny there today - and 52 and raining for the next two days....

wow.
Wow? I'll take 55 degree weather this time of year over the 90's we've had in Sacramento the past couple of days. Although I've grown to accept and even appreciate Sacramento weather, it's definitely not my preference. You may love constant sun, but other people appreciate milder weather or seasonal change. For some reason a lot of people seem to assume that hot, sunny weather automatically equates to "good weather", and anything else is "bad weather". It's just not true though. I've had too many bright, sunny Christmas days in Calfiornia that felt more like a day at the beach than a December Holiday.

I've lived equal time in California and Washington. I've found that people in Washington tend to appreciate the summer more than Californians, whereas Californians seem to have an over-exagerated response to anything resembling winter weather. The other day I went for a jog on a beautiful 65 degree morning in Sacramento. I guess other people didn't feel the same, because they were literally walking around with their hands in their pockets and hoods on head as if a blizzard was about to hit lol. It was a bit rediculous.

Last edited by Casportsfan; 10-17-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 29,848 times
I am soooo ENJOYING this weather right now! It is nothing like the weather back in Cincinnati. Hot humid summer and bitter cold winters! UGH! Although I must say, I am more a fan of fall and winter months than summer ones. So, the weather here will be my fix and cure for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area