Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM

124 posts, read 212,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So, what you are saying is Jimi Hendrix is your messiah???? When I taught at Garfield High School, Jimi Hendrix was one of my students. He was no messiah !! He never came to class, he was just a name in the attendence book.:sm ack::sma ck:
chill out man. i'm jokin...
he's no messiah, but he sure could of been my husband if I was alive back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So, what you are saying is Jimi Hendrix is your messiah???? When I taught at Garfield High School, Jimi Hendrix was one of my students. He was no messiah !! He never came to class, he was just a name in the attendence book.
Sounds like me Incidentally, I am also a lefty who was born in Seattle... and, he's buried next to my great grandpa...

No one ever became a rock god by getting the perfect attendance award when they graduated high school!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
There's a Mexican food truck between safeco and the businesses. Delicious! It's called El Camion. Best Mexican in Seattle and beats the pants off a number of places in pilsen, a west Chicago Latino neighborhood.
They have another one off of Aurora in the Home Depot parking lot across from the Washelli. That place is truly awesome and beats the pants off of most places anywhere! It's definitely one of the best I've ever had.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:13 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Like: Green stuff, people, great outdoors, coffee shop culture, food, nerdy techy bookworms, dogs.
Dislike: Food (no taco trucks, wtf), not seeing the sun for days during the winter, the way people drive.
What about the one on Rainier?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM

37 posts, read 83,539 times
I like the fact that is fairly safe compared to other popular cities. I will not say CHicago cuz that cannot be compared, but I feel safer here then in Jersey for exemple.

I loathe drivers here. Biggest ja*** ever seen. They love to honk if you do not start goinf on green the same 1/8 of a second it starts and they seem to think everybody has automatic transmission...they love to honk even if you are waiting for pedestrians that have right to go I don't get this. What is thats suppose to mean. You would ran over a guy and now you are honking cuz I am refusing to do so? Also love to block you off when waiting to get on the freeway cuz how possibly I can have an audacity to go straight. They never want to let you in the lane on the freeway. You have to noticebly hold you own lane before somebody finally lets you go.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2012 View Post
I loathe drivers here. Biggest ja*** ever seen. They love to honk if you do not start goinf on green the same 1/8 of a second it starts and they seem to think everybody has automatic transmission...they love to honk even if you are waiting for pedestrians that have right to go I don't get this. What is thats suppose to mean. You would ran over a guy and now you are honking cuz I am refusing to do so? Also love to block you off when waiting to get on the freeway cuz how possibly I can have an audacity to go straight. They never want to let you in the lane on the freeway. You have to noticebly hold you own lane before somebody finally lets you go.
Really? ...that doesn't sound like Seattle at all. Most of the time when I was driving around there, it was the opposite. Someone's still 25 feet away from the curb and may not actually be crossing? No matter, go ahead and wait anyways, so that they don't feel daunted by crossing the street. The guy in front of you has been sitting at a green for four seconds? Well, don't be rude and honk... he may be having a really tough day.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
That sounds SO west coast to me. I was gathering wool at an intersection years ago, until I sensed a car sitting next to me. I looked up to see the walk sign was on. This guy wouldnt MOVE till I did something. I almost screwed up his right turn. And the thought was "Oh yeh, I'm on the west coast, they won't drive through the crosswalk if they think someone will step into it". I'm a native of the coast, but being away had turned me really paranoid about cars that turn right. It was a real cultural awakening.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
That sounds SO west coast to me. I was gathering wool at an intersection years ago, until I sensed a car sitting next to me. I looked up to see the walk sign was on. This guy wouldnt MOVE till I did something. I almost screwed up his right turn. And the thought was "Oh yeh, I'm on the west coast, they won't drive through the crosswalk if they think someone will step into it". I'm a native of the coast, but being away had turned me really paranoid about cars that turn right. It was a real cultural awakening.
That's more a Seattle/Portland thing. In LA, a lot of people forget that pedestrians exist because you more or less treat boulevards like you would a freeway in any other city, and there are a lot of people here who would rather drive than walk three blocks, so they don't frequently have to walk anywhere. If they don't just blow straight past you in the first place, then they'll come to an abrupt stop, idle into the crosswalk, stop completely, let you walk, and then the second that you're out of their way, hit the gas and blow through. It's sort of like NY or Boston, in that sense, the big difference being that in NY or Boston people understand that they HAVE to come to a complete stop for pedestrians.

In SF, they'll start the turn, then stop right on the edge of the crosswalk to let you pass. It's not anywhere near as passive as Seattle, nor anywhere near as aggressive as LA.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Good info in case I walk in LA. Wait, did I say "walk in LA"? Is that even legal?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Good info in case I walk in LA. Wait, did I say "walk in LA"? Is that even legal?
Yeah, walking in LA is a great way to realize exactly what an awesome city it is. Shame not enough people do it... you have huge swaths of the city that are entirely walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area