Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM

366 posts, read 596,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And the nightlife is REALLY bad, this can't be denied. The women here are average looking and have way too much of an ego complex considering how they're not super models or anything. The food is decent though, if you're into Asian though.

Again, Seattle is just bust. Not the place for a single bachelor. Tried to go to a strip club here, and will never go again. Never thought I could be so bored in a strip club in my life. 4 foot rule, overpriced dances, no alcohiol, and strippers can't even get nude during a personal dance. Washington state seems intent on making this city as boring has humanly possible.

Not sure what you would call a place with 1:30 AM last calls, a club scene that completely shuts down at 2 AM, moody people, restrictive strip clubs, all that exciting. Seems like they do everything in their power to not make the city enjoyable. But I hear through the grapevine Seattle isn't all that thrilled about transplants here, so maybe they're trying to drive us out.
Sounds like this ain't the city for you, bro. Might I suggest Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Sorry it didn't work out for you but I'm glad you love your new city. I spent a number of years living in MI and WI and we spent many weekends in the Chicago area (and looking forward to vising again this summer!). I really enjoyed the four seasons and I miss both the more extreme cold and hot weather.. but I don't miss having either for 2-3 months of the year

I don't think that people are using "propaganda" to "sell" themselves of the great climate. I think for the overwhelming majority, they just truly enjoy it, or in the least, it doesn't concern them enough to complain about it. My guess is that you might be coming off somewhat confrontational (like this post) and that people are just more reacting to your emotional affect than the argument itself. I could be wrong of course... it's all speculation...

And yes, I'm one of those freaks who's raving about the climate. For the past 3 hours it's been dark, misty, sometimes just downright pouring and instead of moaning about it being summer, I'm grateful I'm not back in my home state of Texas where the five day forecast is 100+. I used to complain about it every summer too and like you, I eventually got the chance to leave. For some reason though, I don't feel the need to visit the Texas boards and inform sun-worshiping Texans of their erroneous beliefs in the "ideal" climate.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
LOL @ haters who can't figure out the city.

Agree though it is likely not for everyone. If you don't like it, leave. Very few jobs require you to stay here.

And I grew up in Chicago and hate it there now. Just proof that everyone has different ideas of fun and ability to make it happen.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,763 times
Quote:
Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is
You obviously haven't been to Texas!

Imagine people being just as proud with absolutely nothing good to base it on.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Sounds like this ain't the city for you, bro. Might I suggest Miami?
Miami doesn't have a lot of IT jobs. To be fair I love Seattle's corporate culture. Very positive, and I can see myself getting a lot of great business contacts here. But it's simply not that fun. I care about my career a lot, but it would be nice to have a little fun as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM

180 posts, read 321,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Miami doesn't have a lot of IT jobs. To be fair I love Seattle's corporate culture. Very positive, and I can see myself getting a lot of great business contacts here. But it's simply not that fun. I care about my career a lot, but it would be nice to have a little fun as well.
I just moved here from Miami area. There are plenty of IT opportunities if you have a decent skillset. What area in IT are you looking for?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
Seattle is awful. I lived there for a little over a year, and it was the worst 15 months of my life. I don't know how anyone can stand it there. It literally rains for weeks at a time. Biggest hole in the continental U.S. IMO, and I'm as progressive as they come. I hear ya about how people think it's great there.......lol

Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
I just moved here from Miami area. There are plenty of IT opportunities if you have a decent skillset. What area in IT are you looking for?

My biggest skills are Java, Unix, Oracle DBs. Pretty good with webservice technology like Rest and Soap. I do a lot of Mysql stuff these days as well. I have about 13 years in IT

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
For every one who complains about cities that they live in here is something to think about. It's not about where you live, but how well you live. You can always dwell on the negatives and things that may frustrate you, but if you make an effort to adventure around, look past the grey skies, and find things to do that truly makes you happy. Every city in america has something to offer everyone. If weather is the one thing that constantly gets on your nerves then travel 3 hours east of the weekends, they get plenty of sunlight over there.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 AM

305 posts, read 450,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you but I'm glad you love your new city. I spent a number of years living in MI and WI and we spent many weekends in the Chicago area (and looking forward to vising again this summer!). I really enjoyed the four seasons and I miss both the more extreme cold and hot weather.. but I don't miss having either for 2-3 months of the year

I don't think that people are using "propaganda" to "sell" themselves of the great climate. I think for the overwhelming majority, they just truly enjoy it, or in the least, it doesn't concern them enough to complain about it. My guess is that you might be coming off somewhat confrontational (like this post) and that people are just more reacting to your emotional affect than the argument itself. I could be wrong of course... it's all speculation...

And yes, I'm one of those freaks who's raving about the climate. For the past 3 hours it's been dark, misty, sometimes just downright pouring and instead of moaning about it being summer, I'm grateful I'm not back in my home state of Texas where the five day forecast is 100+. I used to complain about it every summer too and like you, I eventually got the chance to leave. For some reason though, I don't feel the need to visit the Texas boards and inform sun-worshiping Texans of their erroneous beliefs in the "ideal" climate.
No, it looks like your 343 posts about how great Seattle is probably keep you busy enough.

Last edited by DP79; 06-26-2013 at 12:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area