Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 PM

268 posts, read 358,073 times

Advertisements

Well I responded that I am from Seattle, have family-friends here and enjoy the vibe. Having lived in extremely different states (red states and today blue). I am told to be easy to adapt as I respect everyone's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 05:44 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Name the employers who are ghosting applicants, this way more of us will know who these #$@&*$ are.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
Lots of the intellectuals Seattle attracts have Aspergers, given it's an introvert's paradise. Both of these factors influence the culture here. So soft skills aren't exactly a priority to them. Most of those folks prefer sunny Silicon Valley.

The reason they keep asking that silly question is because they're trying to gauge if you're a cultural fit
Oh snap.
Lol.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Seattle companies aren't the only ones that ghost

Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
I wouldn't blame your home. What percentage of people that work in Seattle are actually from Seattle/Washington??

Old 04-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I wouldn't blame your home. What percentage of people that work in Seattle are actually from Seattle/Washington??
True but I did have someone ask me if I really was really really OK to leave California and even when I confirmed, I am not sure they believed it.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 AM

301 posts, read 312,614 times
I obviously don't have big data sets here to make definitive claims but based on my anecdotal data, this is very common and not Seattle specific (at least for software industry, don't know about medical). Ghosting is super common, regardless of your resume, age, etc. and happened to everyone I know, including me. Basically if you haven't heard back in a week, just assume it's a rejection and move on.

For the location thing, I definitely have seen this happen on the East Coast. I don't think their line of thinking goes along the lines of "why would you want to leave awesome CA for some WA", but rather along the lines of "he/she will probably start missing home (family, friends, etc) in a year, bail on us and move back". Similar thing happened to my wife when she was interviewing for a job in Boston back when we were contemplating between Boston and Seattle. The interview was going great and she passed many rounds but everything ended abruptly after she mentioned during a completely random small talk that her husband (me) has job in NYC (even though I was 100% going to abandon that job and was ready to move from NYC to pretty much anywhere).

If you love Seattle otherwise, I'd recommend to just power through this and don't think too much into it. All this stuff sucks a lot and changing jobs is not fun but it's just what the game seems to be these days.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 PM

great points eugene_b.
That`s why I always insisted that I am from Seattle and all friends- family are here. I will just have to find my courage and maybe try again.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:21 PM

301 posts, read 312,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
great points eugene_b.
That`s why I always insisted that I am from Seattle and all friends- family are here. I will just have to find my courage and maybe try again.
Good point and that's very smart of you to mention that during interview. The only other thing that comes to mind, like others mentioned, they might have had a hire in mind already and were just going through this trouble to satisfy some legal reqs (like anti-discrimination laws).

I feel for you and I am not old enough to know whether it has always been like that but the way is it now, it's just part of life. Every time I want to change jobs, I always dread this whole interviewing work I am going to have to go through. It's usually worth it in the end though.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:38 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
True but I did have someone ask me if I really was really really OK to leave California and even when I confirmed, I am not sure they believed it.
People often say anything to get the job during the process, but the closer they get to the finish line, they get cold feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: