Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:22 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was like that where I used to live in MA. Hundreds of applicants for one job all the time. They never bothered to contact you after the interview. You'd wait in suspense but you probably shouldn't have even bothered. Sometimes they knew beforehand who they were going to hire but they had to advertise it and interview people.

Other times they were just too smug to bother to tell you they hired someone else. Often they hired someone they already knew. The area had FIVE colleges within a very small radius--the University was always producing qualified people and so were the other colleges--but then they'd hire someone from NYC. Why?

We never figured it out but it really was a waste of time to apply for a job. It probably has to do with being a very desirable area to live, very trendy, very beautiful, very liberal with well educated people and loads of culture. That's how it was where I come from. Everyone who graduated wanted to stay around. They usually ended up scooping ice cream or tending bar. Eventually they'd go somewhere like Boston and get a life in a place where jobs grew on trees.
Maybe certain industries are different, but overall we have the opposite problem in Seattle right now- very hot job market- too many jobs and not enough applicants. Many places are throwing jobs at people, anyone who is interested and semi-qualified.

We are struggling to find enough qualified candidates, so the last few I hired are people who were just moving here from out of state- snatching them before they start seeing what else is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 08:21 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Maybe certain industries are different, but overall we have the opposite problem in Seattle right now- very hot job market- too many jobs and not enough applicants. Many places are throwing jobs at people, anyone who is interested and semi-qualified.

We are struggling to find enough qualified candidates, so the last few I hired are people who were just moving here from out of state- snatching them before they start seeing what else is out there.
What industry?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 AM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
I`m sure it's possible but on my side, I have not always lived in California, was raised in Seattle and have lived in extreme weather places. Its all on my resume. I think it was more of a " we don't like people from California " thing.
Interesting. But as you say, you're not from CA, and the resume said so. Do they really have so many qualified applicants, that they can afford to write off a state that's one of the main sources of their applicants? If it's about some Californians not adapting well to the NW environment, employers would have to write off the entire SW, and they haven't done that. I know people from TX and other SW states, who have been hired in the Seattle tech industry.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM

268 posts, read 358,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. But as you say, you're not from CA, and the resume said so. Do they really have so many qualified applicants, that they can afford to write off a state that's one of the main sources of their applicants? If it's about some Californians not adapting well to the NW environment, employers would have to write off the entire SW, and they haven't done that. I know people from TX and other SW states, who have been hired in the Seattle tech industry.
Well as I mentioned, three positions are now open again.
I am not saying I was a perfect hire but guess their hiring strategy didn't work!
Ironically even though I'm in healthcare, I did have Seattle tech company just cold call me yesterday and asking for a (phone) discussion next week.
I am more than happy to discuss even though its not my domain...

Old 04-30-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMX View Post
I know from my experience, oftentimes they already have their person picked out if they decided to promote from within, but they have to still open the position to the public anyway so that someone can't file a grievance accusing the company of preferential treatment for who they hired.

Even if you felt you were the most qualified candidate for the position, the typical response is that the person they hired from within is already so familiar with the ins and outs of their company, that they were just a better fit for them out of the box.

Sometimes an external candidate is just that much better and does get the job, but in my experience, it doesn't happen often.

It's nothing personal there, it's often just a policy they have to satisfy.
I actually mention that as an external candidate with heavy experience, I can see, with fresh eyes, opportunities for improvement.
I always add that I`m not someone who just comes in and wants to revolutionize-change everything but rather observes and then makes steps to a larger goal.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 PM
RMX

3 posts, read 7,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
I actually mention that as an external candidate with heavy experience, I can see, with fresh eyes, opportunities for improvement.
I always add that I`m not someone who just comes in and wants to revolutionize-change everything but rather observes and then makes steps to a larger goal.
That's a good mentality to have.

One gripe I have with people that are external candidates is that they often want to implement everything they did at their last job (good or bad), because their last job was apparently far superior to their new job, and they come across as making the rest of us think we should feel fortunate they chose to work for us.

Which leaves my cynical side thinking, "if your last job was so great, why'd you leave?"

Old 05-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMX View Post
That's a good mentality to have.

One gripe I have with people that are external candidates is that they often want to implement everything they did at their last job (good or bad), because their last job was apparently far superior to their new job, and they come across as making the rest of us think we should feel fortunate they chose to work for us.

Which leaves my cynical side thinking, "if your last job was so great, why'd you leave?"
Never ever break walls without knowing which ones are load bearing So no as a rule never jump in implementing what may have worked elsewhere!

as for the 2nd question: I simply tell the truth as to why would I leave So-Cal: Family and friends are all in the PNW.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM

808 posts, read 543,225 times
What race/ethnicity/age/gender are you?

Companies in seattle are very conscious of meeting unstated-but-well-understood quotas. Maybe you would move the employee profile numbers in the wrong way?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:27 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post

Companies in seattle are very conscious of meeting unstated-but-well-understood quotas. Maybe you would move the employee profile numbers in the wrong way?
What an insulting comment. Seattle companies, like non-Seattle companies, are about profit. Nobody is or isn't getting hired because of their ethnicity.

You didn't get your job because of you, not because of a minority.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post

I have never felt "racially profiled". That is ridiculous and simply did not come in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: