Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:36 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,526,623 times

Advertisements

Yep. Everywhere. And please don't get happy ears if a recruiter comes calling. They are filling a quota.

I remain thankful to the this day that a job came in to my inbox from the same recruiter that got me this job in southern New Mexico in the first place. That was in December of 2012, I started the job about three weeks later in January of 2013. Right when the Seahawks started doing some serious cooking.

I left this job in February 2015 and returned to it in February 2018. But this is a smallish, rural community where the regional hospital I work for needs medical personnel. Always something to think about, if you can imagine yourself doing medical procedures on people. If you can get properly trained up on skills that are in demand, there will be a job for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 08:23 PM

12,905 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Some great comments! It may seem that employers want to pay junior salaries for senior work. I do understand that it’s not just Seattle but having had the same experience 4 times in a row here and having had quickly two real offers in California last year ( I refused both ) made me believe that Seattle is more closed up.
When I get my courage back and if I get invited for an interview,I will definitely ask more questions before I fly in!
I had a manager in LA refuse to interview me even though I flew in on my own dime to be interviewed.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:46 AM

270 posts, read 359,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I had a manager in LA refuse to interview me even though I flew in on my own dime to be interviewed.
Perhaps their loss! In any case it show that was probably a place you wouldn't have wanted to work in the first place!

Old 04-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Perhaps their loss! In any case it show that was probably a place you wouldn't have wanted to work in the first place!
Oh totally was their loss and so glad I don't work at this place. It was just a shot to get out west and maybe they figured it out. There were several managers, so I did talk to a few people.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:18 PM

606 posts, read 421,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yep. Everywhere. And please don't get happy ears if a recruiter comes calling. They are filling a quota.

I remain thankful to the this day that a job came in to my inbox from the same recruiter that got me this job in southern New Mexico in the first place. That was in December of 2012, I started the job about three weeks later in January of 2013. Right when the Seahawks started doing some serious cooking.

I left this job in February 2015 and returned to it in February 2018. But this is a smallish, rural community where the regional hospital I work for needs medical personnel. Always something to think about, if you can imagine yourself doing medical procedures on people. If you can get properly trained up on skills that are in demand, there will be a job for you.
I second this. Caregiver jobs here start at 17 or 18/hr. In the medical field you really don't get fired unless you are willfully abusive towards a client or just happen to be on the wrong end of the stick in a cliquey environment. This is why I got into healthcare. It may be tiring at times but I am at a point in my life where I am self sufficient.

Is there a chance you could just try a new field altogether?

Old 04-14-2019, 02:09 AM

1,155 posts, read 965,759 times
Quote:
True but I did have someone ask me if I really was really really OK to leave California and even when I confirmed, I am not sure they believed it.
Some people from sunny California have no idea they might have SAD until they move up here and see themselves sink into a deep funk every winter. After being miserable every cloudy season for as many years as they can stand, they head out for a sunnier climate.

I've seen it happen a number of times (but not to me!).

The people who interviewed you have probably seen it happen to coworkers, too. Unexpected SAD. And they're trying to probe a bit to see if you're aware of that possibility.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Some people from sunny California have no idea they might have SAD until they move up here and see themselves sink into a deep funk every winter. After being miserable every cloudy season for as many years as they can stand, they head out for a sunnier climate.

I've seen it happen a number of times (but not to me!).

The people who interviewed you have probably seen it happen to coworkers, too. Unexpected SAD. And they're trying to probe a bit to see if you're aware of that possibility.
I`m sure it's possible but on my side, I have not always lived in California, was raised in Seattle and have lived in extreme weather places. Its all on my resume. I think it was more of a " we don't like people from California " thing.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I`m sure it's possible but on my side, I have not always lived in California, was raised in Seattle and have lived in extreme weather places. Its all on my resume. I think it was more of a " we don't like people from California " thing.
I think you are way too smart to believe that.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think you are way too smart to believe that.
I was just just throwing some possible hypothesis out there but I know that I will never find out! The important is to stand up, chin up and try again!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:32 AM
RMX

3 posts, read 7,328 times
Quote:
I am wondering more and more if companies have internal hires and just need to vet their person by bringing in external people?
I know from my experience, oftentimes they already have their person picked out if they decided to promote from within, but they have to still open the position to the public anyway so that someone can't file a grievance accusing the company of preferential treatment for who they hired.

Even if you felt you were the most qualified candidate for the position, the typical response is that the person they hired from within is already so familiar with the ins and outs of their company, that they were just a better fit for them out of the box.

Sometimes an external candidate is just that much better and does get the job, but in my experience, it doesn't happen often.

It's nothing personal there, it's often just a policy they have to satisfy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: