Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 05:55 PM

100 posts, read 442,648 times

Advertisements

I'm black and was discrimated against in Atlanta,My caribbean accent combined with proper english resulted in me "Talking like a white boy" as I was told. I would not live in the South even if I was paid to do so,Normally I take discrimination with a grain of salt as it is near impossible for me to be offended,but black on black discrimination takes the cake. As Dr.King said in far better terms -a poor education is a cycle that repeats itself,poorly educated students become teachers and recycle the substandard education they recieved onto the next generation of students-thus the cycle continues.

Last edited by ST CRoix To Seattle; 04-18-2008 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Speaking of reviews I have to say this, Atlanta does not get rave reviews in my book. I'm black but I would pick Seattle over Atlanta anyday. Its simply not about black and white but what a city has to offer. Seattle offers so much more for me. I really could not ever imagine living in Atlanta. The only thing Atlanta has is cheaper housing. No
thanks.
I lived in Seattle/Tacoma for almost over 6 years and currently live just down the road in Portland. Thanks to my parents living in Atlanta (I've lived there to, even though it has just been for a couple of very short stints), I know Atlanta for sure. Yes, I can see blacks from ATL, punking blacks form Seattle because they, just don't get them and secondly, they think there are no blacks in Seattle.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 27,844 times
Just saw the pictures from PWright1 and I will be back in Seattle for Memorial Day Weekend. I am back in San Diego again and realized that this is the biggest mistake that I have ever made in life by moving back here. Here you need a car, in Seattle, you don't. PWrigt1, your pictures has my mouth watering for Seattle. Seattlelites are very, very nice people but they do give you your space. Come to Southern California and you will meet some of the most arrogant, selfish bafoons that you ever met. Very paranoid, especially in the downtown area. The only thing that drew me back to San Diego was the weather, and no matter how good the weather is here, it still is not a better, cleaner city than Seattle. San Diego sucks, the streets are tore up because the city is practically bankrupt.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:52 PM

28 posts, read 187,181 times
Im black and im thinking about going to UW, the lack of blk ppl in seattle wouldnt discourage me from attending

Old 04-19-2008, 06:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionD View Post
It may be because most of Washington seems to be middle class white people. It's a lot of loggers, people who love nature, people with cars in their backyards; no culture, little diversity, etc. Kind of a narrow-minded place overall - except for Seattle.
Loggers? LOL, you must not spend any time outside of Seattle. Nearly everyone who doesn't live in Seattle sees the people who do live there as narrow minded, latte drinking, liberals who have no problem taxing the entire state to pay for problems in their city and force their political views on the rest of the state.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think it has more to do with the fact that blacks from Seattle are often thought of as "not black enough".

There is alot of aversion towards Seattle in the eyes of many Atlanta residents, black and white.
Wow. Just amazing that a black person has to conform to a standard of "how" black they should be, but I've heard it before. Most of my black friends are college educated and do the "coat and tie" thing, so it seems most of their friends are white because some black people might not like hanging out with them. Sad that upward mobility has to be squelched by those of the same background who are either jealous, threatened or cannot achieve the same things. Whatever.

I lived in "the ATL" for 2 years and loved it! I didn't think I would as a product of L.A., but I did. I lived in the Ashford-Dunwoody area but in a REGULAR house...about 1400 sf brick ranch. ATL was very free-wheeling compared to Seattle, so actually more in line with what a Californian would expect. The only thing most Californians in the Southeast missed was the beach. For that, we made REGULAR trips to the Florida Panhandle and got beaches that could kick a$$ on any California beach...for usability, that is.

I didn't think Seattle was even on an Atlantan's radar screen, being so far away. What exactly is it that made ATL folks averse to Seattle? This is interesting so I'd like to hear some of the underlying reasons.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-20-2008 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 AM

59 posts, read 224,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Part of why Seattle gets less than rave reviews among people in Atlanta has to do with it's perceived "rainy" reputation. While it does rain more consistently in Seattle, you will find more cloudy days in Seattle, and sunshine during the summer. It rains more in Atlanta and harder. I believe the rain repuation is not so much an urban myth but more a way to keep potential residents from moving to Seattle, thus trying to kepp Seattle from being overcrowded.

Yeah, it doesn't rain a lot in Seattle if you measure your rain in inches. It just rains a little...all the time, or at least 9-10 months of the year. So, if your problem with rain is the amount of water it deposits on the earth, than Atlanta is worse. If your problem with rain is the cloudy skies, damp conditions, cool temperatures, and lack of sunshine that go with it, then Seattle is worse.

I think most people have more of a problem with the gray days than the amount of water in their rain gauge.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 PM

44 posts, read 145,505 times
There is a huge african american community in Seattle. Just not a ghetto scene, although there are sketchy areas (as with any city). Tacoma has a ghetto I guess but nothing compared to ATL. I've never been to ATL, but I like Outkast and other rappers from that area. I actually really like dirty south rap, and I am white.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikki_5 View Post
There is a huge african american community in Seattle. Just not a ghetto scene, although there are sketchy areas (as with any city). Tacoma has a ghetto I guess but nothing compared to ATL. I've never been to ATL, but I like Outkast and other rappers from that area. I actually really like dirty south rap, and I am white.
I wouldn't say there was a "huge" African-American community in Seattle (slightly under 50,000 inside city limits), but there has been some influence. Jimi Hendrix is from Seattle and Quincy Jones onced lived near Seattle(Bremerton though). There are many blacks living throughout the Puget Sound region in areas like Renton, Kent, Bremerton, Skyway, Tukwila, Federal Way, Lynnwood, Lakewood, University Place, Spanaway,etc. I would agree there isn't a large "ghetto" presence there, especially compared to Atlanta. Tacoma does have a sketchy reputation, especially due to all of the violence from the 1980's, but that is subsiding. Tacoma actually has a higher percentage of African-Americans than Seattle, but more African-Americans live in Seattle simply because Seattle is larger.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Quincy Jones lived in Bremerton, but he also lived in the Central District and went to Garfield High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area