Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikki_5 View Post
There is a huge african american community in Seattle. Just not a ghetto scene, although there are sketchy areas (as with any city). Tacoma has a ghetto I guess but nothing compared to ATL. I've never been to ATL, but I like Outkast and other rappers from that area. I actually really like dirty south rap, and I am white.
You might want to reconsider your love of dirty south rap. You will have to deal with the shame years down the road. It would be akin to looking at yourself in a yearbook picture from middle school with a bowl cut and/or mullet, or seeing yourself in a picture from the early nineties with a Vanilla Ice jacket.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:12 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
You might want to reconsider your love of dirty south rap. You will have to deal with the shame years down the road. It would be akin to looking at yourself in a yearbook picture from middle school with a bowl cut and/or mullet, or seeing yourself in a picture from the early nineties with a Vanilla Ice jacket.
I don't like most rap music period.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 AM

762 posts, read 1,596,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikki_5 View Post
There is a huge african american community in Seattle.
Thats the first time i've heard that
I new 2 people from seattle
they were black and they were the whitest people i've ever met

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
Thats the first time i've heard that
I new 2 people from seattle
they were black and they were the whitest people i've ever met
Then you'll have the same impression of me(lol).

Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,637 times
Actually, I moved to Washington eight months ago and I Love it. We live in Puyallup Wa. I have a 15 year old son who attends a great middle school five minutes from where we live and he loves it! The and the staff are great and it is a multi-racial school. I am not sure what area you will be moving to, but this is a great area. Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM

123 posts, read 346,809 times
My son and wife moved to SEattle a year ago and live in every nice townhome in Seatac. 3/bed/2 1/2 bath. Basemant garage and rec room. Cost around $330,000 which is lower thne some more northern part of Seattle.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloriginals123 View Post
Lived in Seattle for a year. The name of the county is King County which actually means Dr. King County as you will see from any bus or letterhead you receive from the city. Black population is small but potent. African is more potent such as West African, Ethiopian, and Somali. Central District is the black and African neighborhood. I now live in San Diego, but race relations in Seattle are better. Here in San Diego, people hate their own race, in other words, people try to 'stereotypically' act like what they assume is black. And blacks sometimes do the same acting white. In Seattle, people love their own culture while at the same time loving their own. As far as Middle Class is concerned, Seattle is a very cheap city to live in as for as rent is concerned. Middle Class is definitely growing because of the tech sector. I am black, you will love it. At first though, you will have to get used of really white people because of the grayer days in the winter. This is the mystery of Seattle's weather: A day may interchange between rain, sun and gray. This is only from October to April. Although gray though, the sky is clearer than Southern California. Nuff said. Cheers.
From what I've read about Seattle, I'm once again convinced to start my life here once I graduate from college. I'm actually from the Washington DC area, and although it's not Atlanta, it's somewhat similar (in its militant, thuggish attitude), particularly its eastern parts and in Prince Georges County, MD, an eastern exurb where "wealthy" blacks tend to live. I personally tend to resemble the non-stereotypical black person (BTW, one of my role models is Jimi Hendrix), but I get s**t like no other not only from the lower income, but middle and upper-middle income blacks for not being "black enough." It's especially depressing w/ the young women seeing how they flock in droves to the gangster, thug, or even poser. I don't mind dating outside my race, but in the state where I'm attending college, UMD, blacks dating non-blacks is mostly seen as worse than taboo by the students despite being "colorblind". Sad thing about it is was that during my childhood, I lived in Northern Virginia (the western suburbs of D.C.), a place that's very integrated and racially harmonious similar to the extent of Seattle - and for the record, I want to relive those days myself and raise my children in that environment (from birth to college). It's gotten to the point that I am mentally fighting to not hate my own people, which leads me to ask the treatment I'll receive by blacks in Seattle. I realize that when I move there, many of my associates, friends, and dates/girlfriends will be non-black due to demographics (which I anticipate and welcome very much), but for the blacks I'll encounter, will they show me a side that embraces intellectual, productive black men who are respected by the fellow black dudes and appreciated by the young black women like the quote says, or will it be a BET wannabe rerun of the ATL and PG County? I wouldn't love anything more than to regain faith in my race and show my children positive role models who are black (among other races as well).

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Quote:
Sad thing about it is was that during my childhood, I lived in Northern Virginia (the western suburbs of D.C.), a place that's very integrated and racially harmonious similar to the extent of Seattle - and for the record, I want to relive those days myself and raise my children in that environment (from birth to college).
I grew up in Fairfax - Go Rams!! So, I have to tell you... Northern VA is nothing like the Seattle area. NO WHERE as near as diverse, and not nearly as family friendly or down to earth as it was when I was growing up. I hear that No VA has changed a lot, and it's more pretentious/trendy now... I don't know, I haven't been back... but when I moved from NoVA in '99 to Seattle - what I thought was ... "WOW, so different!!!!" It was cool different for awhile, but the "cool different" wore off as we started a family, raised children, etc.... My husband had moved there from PG country.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
From what I've read about Seattle, I'm once again convinced to start my life here once I graduate from college. I'm actually from the Washington DC area, and although it's not Atlanta, it's somewhat similar (in its militant, thuggish attitude), particularly its eastern parts and in Prince Georges County, MD, an eastern exurb where "wealthy" blacks tend to live. I personally tend to resemble the non-stereotypical black person (BTW, one of my role models is Jimi Hendrix), but I get s**t like no other not only from the lower income, but middle and upper-middle income blacks for not being "black enough." It's especially depressing w/ the young women seeing how they flock in droves to the gangster, thug, or even poser. I don't mind dating outside my race, but in the state where I'm attending college, UMD, blacks dating non-blacks is mostly seen as worse than taboo by the students despite being "colorblind". Sad thing about it is was that during my childhood, I lived in Northern Virginia (the western suburbs of D.C.), a place that's very integrated and racially harmonious similar to the extent of Seattle - and for the record, I want to relive those days myself and raise my children in that environment (from birth to college). It's gotten to the point that I am mentally fighting to not hate my own people, which leads me to ask the treatment I'll receive by blacks in Seattle. I realize that when I move there, many of my associates, friends, and dates/girlfriends will be non-black due to demographics (which I anticipate and welcome very much), but for the blacks I'll encounter, will they show me a side that embraces intellectual, productive black men who are respected by the fellow black dudes and appreciated by the young black women like the quote says, or will it be a BET wannabe rerun of the ATL and PG County? I wouldn't love anything more than to regain faith in my race and show my children positive role models who are black (among other races as well).

Why do you think I'm trying to leave Atlanta? ATL is an overrated city(I can't use foul language on the forums). I think Seattle is a good idea.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 13,202 times
hey i am gay and black I loved it there the people are great.

good luck

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-30-2008 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: edited "advertising"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area