Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:37 AM

38 posts, read 128,282 times

Advertisements

No transportation.
Dishwashing.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 AM

34 posts, read 141,940 times
My advice would be to take some of your saved up money and buy a month at either Mediterranean or Pacific Inn (both convenient for people using public transit) and use the time to find a job and a shared housing situation. Be REALLY careful about who you share with; but you need to be here to do that as you need face-to-face contact. I was at Pacific Inn for 4 months. It's safe, if not elegant, and everybody there is in some kind of transitional situation. It's like a college dorm, actually (I still refer fondly to my "dorm room months". I'm sure the one in Queen Anne is the same. That's I think your best option.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 AM

38 posts, read 128,282 times
Thanks I'll keep you all informed.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times
great job

Old 05-24-2009, 02:02 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times
are there anymore? im in the same situation sorta. really need to move by the end of the year and having a hard time settling for a one area in WA. I am not sure if we will have a secure job or place to stay by then. I would say I need a 3/4 bedroom apt but i know chances are slim to none surviving without a job right?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 10,883 times
Dishwashing? Dead end job to nowhere, fast. Your best bet is to go to school to advance in this world. Seattle will eat you alive.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 PM

34 posts, read 141,940 times
Aw, RP2012, think about it. Seattle must have the same ratio of diswashers/to/high paying jobs as any other city. I know the cost of living is higher here, but still I see ordinary people every day, everywhere I go, who aren't all techo-geeks or engineers or whatever at MS. Coffee shop baristas. Grocery checkers who don't look particularly malnourished. UPS drivers and fry cooks. Do they suffer more than their counterparts in other cities? Not if they like living here and are willing to pay the higher price for it.

A few months ago I was scared and telling people to stay home, but it seems like things are beginning to open up a bit. I'm beginning to feel a bit similar towards the "It's Seattle and You Can't Afford It" mantra as some locals must feel about the "Freeze". There's evidence all over the place that people are surviving. Sure, you might have to share space; you might not get a condo overlooking Lake XYZ, but hey, if you like the vibe and you're ready to take a chance, why not go for it? (Just look before you leap--this site is great!)

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPaul2012 View Post
Dishwashing? Dead end job to nowhere, fast. Your best bet is to go to school to advance in this world. Seattle will eat you alive.

Yeaah, thanks for the advice but I've moved to Rochester, NY, Portland, OR, Arcata, CA, Eugene, OR, back to Arcata, CA... over to OlyWa, and back to Austin, Texas etc with just "dead end" dishwashing jobs and always managed to land on my feet (as opposed to 'eaten up')...with some wicked stories to tell the grandkids about.

Meanwhile college graduates with little or no restaurant experience are (unsuccessfully) competing with me for these available, albeit *crappy*, food service positions because they've just been laid off and/or the competition for these higher paying jobs is too stiff.

Purely as an example, check out the ads on Craigslist today:

5 for Education
4-5 for Tech Support
2-3 Systems Networking
4-5 Management
20+ for food service.

Not that I want to wash dirty dishes or cook greasy food for the rest of my life (or that Craigslist is the first place some employers look for help!) but it's a profession that is always open (cuz it's hard, dirty work!), pretty solitary and a good way to move around.

In addition I'm not surrounded by maniacally ambitious, straight-minded 'suits' at the work place....

Plus, I know too many people who played it safe & stayed in their hometown to go to college with dreams of moving to _______ one day when they were stocked up with skills and cash .... then one thing led to another and here they are 10 years later comfortable and safe and boring living next to mom and dad (or worse yet WITH M&P) in the same neighborhood they grew up in.

No thanks.
Throw me in with the drifters any day of the week.

EDIT:
(Wow, that idea took way too much time and effort to express....sorry.)

Last edited by brubaker; 05-26-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
By the way, I'm Ben Brubaker.

Sorry to confuse anyone.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-27-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
It's not always easy to get full time dishwashing jobs in Seattle, believe it or not. It's best to learn what the homeless resources are going to be like if you plan to shell out a thousand bucks a month for rent while having only a part-time dishwashing job.

It may be a little different now that the border's been tightened a bit, I don't know, but it used to be that the illegals got most of those kind of jobs. In fact the managers used to be a little suspicious when I lived downtown and was looking a few years ago, at first they assumed I was applying for a supervisor or a chef position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area