Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM

21 posts, read 69,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly 56 View Post
My advice would be to take some of your saved up money and buy a month at either Mediterranean or Pacific Inn (both convenient for people using public transit) and use the time to find a job and a shared housing situation. Be REALLY careful about who you share with; but you need to be here to do that as you need face-to-face contact. I was at Pacific Inn for 4 months. It's safe, if not elegant, and everybody there is in some kind of transitional situation. It's like a college dorm, actually (I still refer fondly to my "dorm room months". I'm sure the one in Queen Anne is the same. That's I think your best option.
I stayed at the Vermont Inn on Fourth and Clay for about 4 months until I got a job. It is like a dorm room, albeit a hell of a lot better than my dorm room was in college. It was clean and safe, which is all I really cared about. I wasn't there a whole lot, mostly out busting my ass to get a job.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 PM

125 posts, read 351,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Yeaah, thanks for the advice but I've moved to Rochester, NY, Portland, OR, Arcata, CA, Eugene, OR, back to Arcata, CA... over to OlyWa, and back to Austin, Texas etc with just "dead end" dishwashing jobs and always managed to land on my feet (as opposed to 'eaten up')...with some wicked stories to tell the grandkids about.

Meanwhile college graduates with little or no restaurant experience are (unsuccessfully) competing with me for these available, albeit *crappy*, food service positions because they've just been laid off and/or the competition for these higher paying jobs is too stiff.

Purely as an example, check out the ads on Craigslist today:

5 for Education
4-5 for Tech Support
2-3 Systems Networking
4-5 Management
20+ for food service.

Not that I want to wash dirty dishes or cook greasy food for the rest of my life (or that Craigslist is the first place some employers look for help!) but it's a profession that is always open (cuz it's hard, dirty work!), pretty solitary and a good way to move around.

In addition I'm not surrounded by maniacally ambitious, straight-minded 'suits' at the work place....

Plus, I know too many people who played it safe & stayed in their hometown to go to college with dreams of moving to _______ one day when they were stocked up with skills and cash .... then one thing led to another and here they are 10 years later comfortable and safe and boring living next to mom and dad (or worse yet WITH M&P) in the same neighborhood they grew up in.

No thanks.
Throw me in with the drifters any day of the week.

EDIT:
(Wow, that idea took way too much time and effort to express....sorry.)

It seems Seattle is more of a rich person's city. You should check out cost-of-living data and compare it with the other places you have lived, along with public transportation info.

You *will* get plenty of wicked stories to tell, should you decide to move there. Good luck in your travels!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 PM

127 posts, read 277,633 times
well i'm a female security guard and it's a "low wage job" and i always manage to do fine. with security work there is always work and tons of overtime. i live in san antonio right now and am saving money to relocate to seattle and i'm not worried about it one bit. i also am very frugal so that helps alot too. i live in the ghetto here is san antonio so i'm not worried about the seattle ghetto. crime is everywhere especially the nice sides of town. i plan to find a "roach" motel until i find an apartment. middle class people are clueless how us "working poor" survive. i say if you want to move to seattle than do it. don't let anyone say you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area