Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 12,942 times

Advertisements

I know so little about Seattle but as it stands, my work will be taking me to the city come this Oct/Nov. My company is located in down town Seattle.

I am male and in my 30s so I am more flexible when it comes to safety and traveling.
1) I heard Capitol Hill and Bellevue are convenient places to live - what do you think?

2) What is the tax system like in Seattle? Income/sales tax? I am a little fortunate to have a job but I wish to know still, thanks.

3) What is the weather like, I heard it is like the British weather, how does that sound?

4) For the past 10years, I have no need to use a car as Hong Kong is very convenient. Is a car really necessary for the city since I work Mon-Fri pretty much 9am - 8pm.

Thank you and please I would like good feedback so it is useful for me to learn more of the city and the great places around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 AM

9 posts, read 32,097 times
1) The two are vastly different. CH is more young/hip. Bellevue is more suburban/techy.

2) No state income tax/9.5% sales tax.

3) It's nice for about 2 months of the year, then it's cool/damp/cloudy the rest of the year. Rarely does it go extremely hot or cold.

4) If you live on CH and work downtown, you won't really need a car. It'll be nice to have, but not needed.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
If you're working in downtown Seattle, I'd choose to live on either the Seattle side or maybe Mercer Island. Capitol Hill is very close to downtown, as is Queen Anne. First Hill, North Beacon Hill, Columbia City, Fremont, and South Lake Union are all nice enough neighborhoods a quick commute away from downtown.

In restaurants, the sales tax is 10%...
I really disagree with Tepic on the weather. Nice is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't get as cold here generally as British weather, and it's much drier and sunnier in the summer. But you can expect frequent rain from the end of September to the beginning of May, and sometimes we have rainy Junes. Drizzle and cloudy is fairly common, downpours are not unheard of but are less common. Often it's not raining so hard so that you can't be outside in it.

If you don't want to have a car, make sure you live within easy walking/biking distance of either a Metro bus route or the light rail line. All of the neighborhoods I mentioned are a quick bus trip into town, and Columbia City and North Beacon Hill are on the light rail line.

Gasoline tax is quite high here, but if you don't have a car, then it's someone else's problem.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
That also makes it easy to get to the International District, if you want to eat some Cantonese food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If you don't want to have a car, make sure you live within easy walking/biking distance of either a Metro bus route or the light rail line.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM

151 posts, read 525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kong SAR View Post
I know so little about Seattle but as it stands, my work will be taking me to the city come this Oct/Nov. My company is located in down town Seattle.

I am male and in my 30s so I am more flexible when it comes to safety and traveling.
1) I heard Capitol Hill and Bellevue are convenient places to live - what do you think?
Capitol Hill is an affluent neighborhood in the center of Seattle that is convenient to everywhere else due to excellent public transportation in this area. It is the center of gay culture in Seattle. It is probably the most expensive area within Seattle to live.

Bellevue is a totally different city across the water from Seattle that exists largely because of Microsoft and has no discernible nightlife. You must've made someone important pretty angry if they encouraged you to move from a bustling world capitol like Hong Kong to Bellevue. What did you do? Did you seduce their wife? Was it anything like 'In The Mood For Love?' If so, that's pretty sexy. Good for you. She was gorgeous and her husband didn't treat her well. Bellevue was worth it probably.

Quote:
2) What is the tax system like in Seattle? Income/sales tax? I am a little fortunate to have a job but I wish to know still, thanks.
No state income tax. Lots of sales tax. Lots of luxury taxes. Don't buy anything and you'll save alot of money.

Quote:
3) What is the weather like, I heard it is like the British weather, how does that sound?
The weather is schizophrenic. Most days cold and cloudy until the afternoon comes and the sky suddenly explodes with sunlight. The winters are bad. The summers are nice. Yadda yadda this has been said a billion times before in this forum. Did you know that Othello is both a play and a board game? Which do you think came first?

Quote:
4) For the past 10years, I have no need to use a car as Hong Kong is very convenient. Is a car really necessary for the city since I work Mon-Fri pretty much 9am - 8pm.
Yep, with those hours, you'll need a car. And you'll want a car anyway being a suave, 30-something single Hong Kong executive. The ladies will be expecting it from you. Especially Bellevue ladies. Because they'll want you to drive them out of Bellevue.

Quote:
Thank you and please I would like good feedback so it is useful for me to learn more of the city and the great places around.
No feedback for you!

Last edited by Hamza; 08-09-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 04:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Did you know that Othello is both a play and a board game? Which do you think came first?

It's also a street in south Seattle and a stop on the light rail line. But very few board games or Shakesperean actors there.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the valuable feedback. Very amusing to say the least from some of your replies.
I am naturally very excited to work in the USA. All the better with your insights.

Have a good day,

Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
There is also something called zipcar in Seattle that you can use for a fee at times when you need a car...so car is not necessary if you will live/work in the city.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM

i guess i have to learn very quickly when am finally arrive. when it comes to driving i have to learn to drive on the 'right' side now i guess.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
If you live in the city and work in the city then a car is not really necessary. I did it for two years and my total transportation bill for a year was very low. You can always cab it or take a car service as needed to get around the city. I found a car service very helpful and often cheaper than a cab ride depending upon where you go.

If you would like a referral for a car service DM me and I'll pass on the name and number of the service our company uses in Seattle. We love him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area