Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, people seem to think my OP scenario is largely bunk. I guess only time will tell. However, there seems to be enough on guerrilla gardening on the survival forums and blogs to give it some consideration. Perhaps plant some fruit trees in unexpected places as well as berries and place mushroom fungi innoculated logs in the woods near creeks.

Obviously the critters will get to these but perhaps with enough different areas scattered about the odds will be evened up a bit. Just something to think about during this planting season..... YMMV
Your OP scenario is well worth considering. Government loves redistributing wealth (while skimming a substantial profit for themselves).

It would be shortsighted for any person preparing for bad times to discount the possibility of government seizing supplies they have raised or scrimped and saved to acquire in order to provide for those that failed to prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I never take your posts as bunk.....

On the other hand if FEMA wants what I grow, it's gonna pay what ever I say, and if I don't want to sell they will have problem. I might take 2 grand for a white potatoe... I might trade it for a full auto fire arm and a hell of a lot of ammo..
I agree with your sentiments Mac but can't help thinking you're failing to consider the possibility that FEMA would likely show up with a vastly superior force to take what they want.

You can dig in your heels all you like but you're not going to prevent an infantry squad with an armored HUMVEE from taking your stuff. It would be prudent to have a fallback plan.

Last edited by outbacknv; 05-21-2011 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I agree with your sentiments Mac but can't help thinking you're failing to consider the possibility that FEMA would likely show up with a vastly superior force to take what they want.
So be it. I only need one body bag for me. They will need a few more than that. Lets see who wants to go home for dinner that night.

Thing is I have been to Hell and came back 3 times so far. A 4th trip isn't out of the question is it? For all the problems and effort, it just made me stronger.

I admitt to having a problem, which is to be unwilling to trade Liberty for security.

Many people have bled in the name of Freedom, so if my name is added, it won't be a problem. I wasn't planning to live forever in the first place.

In the end they may have what they came for, but in the end some of their numbers will be missing. IF they Come at ALL.

Hell can be very enlightening.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
So be it. I only need one body bag for me. They will need a few more than that. Lets see who wants to go home for dinner that night.

Thing is I have been to Hell and came back 3 times so far. A 4th trip isn't out of the question is it? For all the problems and effort, it just made me stronger.

I admitt to having a problem, which is to be unwilling to trade Liberty for security.

Many people have bled in the name of Freedom, so if my name is added, it won't be a problem. I wasn't planning to live forever in the first place.

In the end they may have what they came for, but in the end some of their numbers will be missing. IF they Come at ALL.

Alternately you could pre-position some supplies elsewhere and live to fight another day. Personally I think that's the more pragmatic choice.

Being backed into a corner and standing your ground is one thing. Leaving yourself no other options and choosing to make a "glorious last stand" that's doomed to failure from the outset is another thing entirely.

YMMV

Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM

I have no other place to go... I am what this place is, granite rock and sugar maple. The mountians here are mine, I am a part of them. There is no other place for me.

I live for cold and the colder the better in winta', I live for the 4 seasons, the bugs and the wild places what little is left of them.

My brothers ashes were blown to the 4 winds Feb 98 on mt jefferson, some more in the salty pond (Atlantic), and the rest down in the swamp where the sugar maple grows. There just is no place for the wild things of which I seem to be the last.

I don't see it as any "glorious last stand". I made the soil myself where there was none, I broke the hard pan by hand. It's my soil, my labor over years, and all of my doing that makes what happens happen. I am not going to make a very good slave either.

I believe in lead, follow or get out of the way, and for reasons well past my understanding most people I meet tend to follow me. I never wanted to lead anyone, and I still don't. I can even prove that on line as stupid as that sounds.

I literally made this soil myself..... When I began there was just hard iron plate sand.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:26 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:

Methinks not.

Those of us who have don't walk around the with a chip on our shoulder.

Someone comes to my door, having all the cards on their side...

that's fine, they won this round. There will be tomorrow, and I don't keep all my eggs in one basket.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I have no other place to go... I am what this place is, granite rock and sugar maple. The mountians here are mine, I am a part of them. There is no other place for me.

I live for cold and the colder the better in winta', I live for the 4 seasons, the bugs and the wild places what little is left of them.

My brothers ashes were blown to the 4 winds Feb 98 on mt jefferson, some more in the salty pond (Atlantic), and the rest down in the swamp where the sugar maple grows. There just is no place for the wild things of which I seem to be the last.

I don't see it as any "glorious last stand". I made the soil myself where there was none, I broke the hard pan by hand. It's my soil, my labor over years, and all of my doing that makes what happens happen. I am not going to make a very good slave either.

I believe in lead, follow or get out of the way, and for reasons well past my understanding most people I meet tend to follow me. I never wanted to lead anyone, and I still don't. I can even prove that on line as stupid as that sounds.

I literally made this soil myself..... When I began there was just hard iron plate sand.
To each his own. Personally I'd opt to not buck overwhelming odds when I could have made alternate plans and live to continue the fight on better terms.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Methinks not.

Those of us who have don't walk around the with a chip on our shoulder.

Someone comes to my door, having all the cards on their side...

that's fine, they won this round. There will be tomorrow, and I don't keep all my eggs in one basket.
With that thinking there will be no eggs in your basket.

Who says I walk around with a chip on my shoulder anyway?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
To each his own. Personally I'd opt to not buck overwhelming odds when I could have made alternate plans and live to continue the fight on better terms.

Wouldn't it make sence that if FEMA shows up wanting my produce, that they will also want my stores of everything else in meds, guns, ammo, and anything else they want?

All things I worked for to have in hard times. Why should I let them have anything?

Did they make any soil for me? Did they gather maple sap and fire wood, or even vist with me while I labored to get what I have? NO they did nothing.

All they have done is add to the tax burden, and grow fat off my labor.

If they have a problem money can't fix, it's not my problem.

The time for fighting is now, not later, later is how we got in this mess in the first place. Now is the time to decide if you plan to draw a line in the sand, or not at all.

I drew my line some years ago, and am un-willing to move it back from where it is. Locally I am known to be generous. In fact I can't even find anyone who wants 100 strawberry plants, and I have that much too many. These are for Free too.

In shtf I am willing to feed any family once, so long as they are passing thru, but I won't feed them twice with out labor. Nor will I take what ever they have, which is a bit different from what most other people would do.

Take doesn't work for me either way. You won't find me on the take and you won't find anyone taking what I have anymore.

If I decide to go to war, I'll let you know.

Only a fool would chase me into my mountains. It's cold, it's wet and in winter it's colder than -40 below. I know where it was calm in the hurricane of 38, and where water is on steep places. Only a A-10 Warthog could budge me out. I admitt I hate those with predjuiced.

Any yeah I have seen the 101st, SWAT, and other orgs messing in my mountains, and sometimes I even play with them too. It's all great fun.

My son still owns a SWAT sleeping bag I gave to him. Thanks Virginia.

Some guys in the 101st mountian probably still laugh about not getting caught by heat seeking/infrared helicopters, during red and blue team war games.

I never said I can't be reasonable, I said no one will be taking anything with out asking, for FREE.

Back in 98 my little brother passed away from Lymes. I ended up with his car, because no one else wanted it and I didn't want it either.

I sold it for 200 bucks to a minister who wanted it to use as a car to fix with his boys (a church). He was out of Maine. My brother was a resident of Mass. I went to Mass twice to probate and filed forms giving me the authority to transfer the car to the minister and none of that in over 6 months was good enough for Maine.

I happen to also have family in Maine, and over the time, and frustration I finally looked into the laws on the dead. There was no law in Maine saying the dead can't become residents, or can not apply for a driver lic, so I called the Maine DMV and threatened a class action law suit based on whether or not they would let my broghters ashes take a driver's lic exam.

Yeah that's right a Class Action Law Suit for and by the dead.

Lets just shorten this tale to Maine wanted no part of that. I wrote the minister another check, since I had, had his for better than 6 months. Or in other words I gave him that car for free.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-22-2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it make sence that if FEMA shows up wanting my produce, that they will also want my stores of everything else in meds, guns, ammo, and anything else they want?
Wouldn't it make more sense to pre-position some essential supplies off site so you can live to fight another day?

Here's a fairly simple scenario for you. FEMA shows up with a well armed contingent of soldiers. You stick to your principles and succeed in killing one or two of them, maybe wounding another. They kill you and take all your stuff.

As an alternative you choke down your revulsion at letting them take what they want knowing you have enough supplies stashed off site to keep you alive and armed for a couple months. During that couple months you're able to initiate several conflicts that don't begin with you at an immediate disadvantage. As a result they ultimately suffer more losses. Despite having initially lost your stuff they paid a higher price for having taken it.

Pick your fights wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness