Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

If it got to the point of having to use your bunker in the case of a "civilization killing event" I would rather catch the nuke or comet or asteroid or spotted toads than to live in survival mode for the rest of my life. Now, it was a minor localized event "city killer" than it may serve some purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I didn't get the whole plasma big screen TV in the living quarters. If the shtf who is going to be at television studios airing TV?
I'd venture that this is supposed to function more as a "window" than just for entertainment. The negative psychological effects of fully-enclosed quarters can be mitigated by giving the illusion that they are looking outside with day-night, weather and seasonal cycles. So they probably have several recorded loops of forests, fields, beaches, and maybe even cities that you can choose from for playback.

But even the entertainment factor would be psychologically beneficial with a big enough library of recorded educational material, television programs, movies and immersive/interactive video games... you wouldn't necessarily need new programing and live transmission.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Looking at the Vivos8 brochure, I can see how people can get starry eyed about it because it's pretty... BUT...

Where is the water storage, recycling and filtration system?
Where is the ventilation, environmental control and air scrubbing system?
Where is the waste storage, recycling, filtration and disposal system?
Where is the fuel storage and manufacturing system?
Where is the food storage area? Are you supposed to be able to garden in the "lawn" boxes in the main entry corridor?

Basically... where are all the utility and storage facilities? 8 people are not going to live very long in that pod the way it's shown. Maybe 8 people over a long weekend; or a couple for a few weeks. I honestly think even a couple with minimal "personal space" needs would start to lose it in a couple of months... and that's not even factoring in the lack of storage space for the necessities.

The Vivos1000 looked more comprehensive, but I think they are being EXTREMELY generous with their population forecasts if they are expecting 12 months fully self-contained and sufficient, even the 6 month estimates are pushing it a bit without a serious conservation initiative and recycling system.

I also found the "effective space per person" figures they're using to be scary... less than 100 sq ft per person. A person might be able to handle only having a 10x10 personal/private space IF that space was completely closed off visually, soundproof and they didn't have to share it with anyone else (except maybe a spouse or small child). Countless studies have shown that humans need larger and quieter private spaces when they exist in confined concentrated populations for long periods without a break. There's a reason for limited tours on naval vessels (esp. submarines), oceanic platforms (above and below water), remote research stations, and space craft/stations.... people go bug nuts and start killing themselves or each other.

No way am I sharing my 10x10 cell with 3 other people or trust fiberboard walls and a flippin' CURTAIN across the doorway. Really, WTF, it's not just the people on the outside of the bunker you need to be worrying about!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
True. I have claustrophobia - start to shake and sweat when in an enclosed area, rapid heartbeat, mild panic attack - even when they close the door on the 727, I start looking at the window to see if I can fit my largesse through it...

I know my limitations. My 100-year-old farmhouse has floor-to-ceiling lead windows, and I can go out on my 60 acres walking, or even riding the horse or 4-wheeler...

Just looking at pictures of the Japanese " capsule motels", people sleeping in tiny spaces, lined up in neat rows beside and on top of each other, gives me the creeps. Japan: Capsule Hotels

Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Luckily I am not claustrophobic, I'm agoraphobic. Contrary to popular belief, agoraphobia is not a fear of open spaces, but the fear of being trapped in a place or situation where it is impossible/difficult/humiliating to escape. Because that scenario is exponentially higher in crowded public spaces, it often makes agoraphobes homebound even though they do not have any fear of secluded open spaces (and why I live 150 miles farther out than the rear-end of nowhere LOL).

I would have no problems staying temporarily in one of the Japanese style capsule (plastic "coffin") hotels IF my cubby was soundproof, total privacy curtain, and a proper locking hatch instead of a weenie beaded macrame screen. I'd probably need something a little closer in size to the European pod hotels like Yotel or easyHotel. Watching sci-fi shows with the teeny little compartments doesn't freak me out (and I kinda like them!) because they are secure and self-contained. I don't necessarily need a kitchen, laundry or full bath in my compartment... but a lock, total privacy, and secure storage space would be crucial.

Honestly, I would much rather live in a much smaller capsule/pod scenario than a larger open shared bunk/dorm scenario. Now, I know that I'm seriously hypersensitive, but even "normal" people with "normal" tolerances start to get wiggy when they have no privacy or security and are constantly inundated by the sights and sounds of other people... and that's only going to get worse in a high stress, totally confined situation where you literally cannot just "go out for some air". You'd have to have some sort of "chill therapy" rooms with minimal sensory input in most of these bunker situations if you couldn't give people secure private space.

Just think about it...
How long do you think you'd be able to tolerate hearing everything that is going on around you all the time? Babies and children screaming and fussing, people arguing, people laughing and being rowdy, people crying, people having sex, people sneezing/coughing/vomiting, people snoring, alarms, mechanical systems, loudspeakers, televisions, stereos, footsteps.... and knowing that everyone can hear every single thing that you are doing as well.

How long do you think you'd be able to tolerate seeing everything that is going on around you all the time and knowing that someone can see every single thing that you are doing as well. There will always be some sort of light, always flashes and flickers and shadows, and visual stimulation of some sort.

And how long before it wouldn't be safe, or at least you wouldn't feel safe, to be anywhere that wasn't brightly lit, or to close your eyes, or to fall asleep, or to be somewhere alone? How long before the violence starts? How long before you develop hypervigilance and exhaustion?

These are all things that cause and are exacerbated by Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder... which you're already going to be prone toward in a SHTF scenario. Why would you willingly do anything that has a high probability of making it worse?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
After the recent episode, I gave up on watching "Doomsday Bunkers". Too much "reality TV" fluff and not enough useful information nor inspiration.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Another program designed to show the Bad, ingnorant, red neck wack job side of prepping.......I didn't even wast my time........................

Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman - YouTube We can't all be "progressive" (lib. commies).

Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM

458 posts, read 616,304 times
I can't think of any scenarios where large areas of the surrounding surface are made too dangerous but the bunker is safe. Meteroid? Screwed anyway. Famine? Screwed anyway. Government takeover? Screwed anyway. Disease? Screwed anyway. Nuclear war? Screwed anyway.

Then there's the question of why anyone would want to survive the apocalypse. It is, after all, called the "end of times" for a reason...

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

458 posts, read 616,304 times
Double.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Some of us already know that we are not going to be "Raptured" - so being "Left Behind" we are planning to not merely survive but to live as well as we can, and provide for our families as well.

Really, seriously, there is a lot more to be prepared for than "THE APOCALYPSE!!!!" - and those who insist it will be an all-or-nothing, live-or-die, proposition purely to prove a fatalistic point, simply don't get it... or are trolls trying to disparage others for attention.

Still won't live in a bunker, tho'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness