Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM

564 posts, read 815,427 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll respond.

You said the media isn't creating high gas prices.. which translate into high food prices. Yes they are.

It's all about speculation. If the media came out tomorrow and said the economy has turned and oil supply far exceeds oil demand and will so for the next 1,000 years.. you know what would happen? The price of oil would plummit. The speculators would exit the oil market in an instance. And thus food prices would fall. Yet, what really happened, in real terms? Absolutely nothing. Speculation and information drives prices. Misinformation does the same. We are possibly sitting a trillions of barrels of oil from one guy I heard on tv. If we knew the truth and the media reported it, oil prices would plummet.

Oh, I hate the beach.. so no head in sand for me.

Have you read Greenspan's new book yet? Best book you'll ever read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Just this conversation maybe will make some folks consider grabbing a couple extra jugs of water just in case, and a couple cans of dinty moore. It can't hurt!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Ok, I'll respond.

You said the media isn't creating high gas prices.. which translate into high food prices. Yes they are.

It's all about speculation. If the media came out tomorrow and said the economy has turned and oil supply far exceeds oil demand and will so for the next 1,000 years.. you know what would happen? The price of oil would plummit. The speculators would exit the oil market in an instance. And thus food prices would fall. Yet, what really happened, in real terms? Absolutely nothing. Speculation and information drives prices. Misinformation does the same. We are possibly sitting a trillions of barrels of oil from one guy I heard on tv. If we knew the truth and the media reported it, oil prices would plummet.

To tell you the truth this "booming" economy of late has left me out of work for the last 3 weeks so I haven't had a chance to buy anything other than the essentials. And as I said before I find it hard to trust anyone's personal memoirs. But, if you know of a link where I might could read parts or all of it on the net I will check it out.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Please take a chance and read age of turbulence. It's insight into the most powerful man in the world. You will realize how great of a country this truly is. You'll realize what is REALLY good for the economy. How many countries we prevented from going bankrupt. And yet, he doesn't say it, but I think he's liberal. Although the book is very apolitical.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Ok, I'll respond.

So you would rather the "lied to" approach be used to save you money on gas?

It's not just the media informing us about oil futures. The movement towards green is also keeping the idea that we might run out of oil high on the list....and the list of companies/cities/states/countries going green is phenomenal.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Hops are going up too. Don't forget to stock up on beer.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM

No, I just want reality. I heard on economist say that if oil prices were nothing but supply and demand we'd be paying about $1.40/gallon. But the media and too much info, must of it bad info, and the internet and blogs and speculation.. it's distorting reality.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
The 96% capacity of the oil refineries isn't raising the price?

Everything is maxed out as we speak....larger refineries would have to be built to bring the price back down.

Don't forget China is 1 billion plus strong and gaining in oil use faster than we could imagine.

Now why we aren't building more refineries is a good question if you ask me.

*back to the topic*

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM

96% capacities are driving some of the price.

For instance, gas here fell $.14 yesterday when Iran said they would be open to more diplomatic talks. $.14 freaking cents.

And what happened? NOTHING. No more oil was found.. demand didn't decrease.. supply didn't increase. IT"S FAKE. I WANT REALITY..

and yes, more drilling.. much more drilling.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Late into this discussion,was busy stocking up another six months worth of food....not really...

We DO have about nine months worth of food stored,it doesn't take much to do IF you know what you are doing and use your head(it is there for a reason).
Rice,dried beans,canned veggies and meats,dried pasta,all are easily kept for long periods of time with a little planning and some five gallon buckets with sealable lids.

Water is more of an issue but at this time we do not have much options as far as water storage.

We of course hope to not be here if it all falls apart but in a more rural area.

Urban areas won't be fun places to be when people are hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness