Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM

154 posts, read 209,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The only way a situation can be fixed is if people who see the problem work together to correct it.

We, as a people, must make the fundemental changes in the federal government by voting in representatives and senators and presidents who actually care about the country instead of their own intrests.
We the people need to elect governors and legislator and mayors and city councils that actually care about the country instead of their own power.

We the people need to be willing to stand against the slings and arrows of the mass media and run for office to effect changes to correct the corruption that has been such a part of our government for so long.

Why run to another country that is already screwed up? We need to fix the one we have. The resources are still here to return the US to the shining beacon of hope to the world it should always have been. Our founding fathers left us the greatest gift any nation could ever dream of, the chance to have individual liberty and self determination. Now it is being slowly taken away from us, but some folks are smart enough and awake enough to see what is happening and the tide could turn if we continue our efforts.

Human nature is to attack a problem, then lose intrest when it starts to turn around, and those with evil in their hearts take back the power they lost and take even more than they had before.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

Self sufficent, preppers, survivalists, all are aware of the problem, but most are solitary by nature, but as long as they do their civic duty and vote, this country still has a chance.

If the current situation continues, we are doomed, but we can pull back from the brink if enough people care enough to actually pay attention to what is going on and do something to stop it.

Why go to another country when we have the foundation of our Constitution to build upon to again make this the greatest country in the world?

If surrender was part of the self sufficent creed, we wouldn't be investing our money and labor to keep going no matter what the situation is, we would simply bury our heads in the sand and wait for government handouts like so many sheeple do, but that isn't in the nature of those that want to take care of themselves and their families in the event of any kind of disaster.
This was very inspiring, and I thank you for the encouragement. What you say is true, but it requires a massive (re)awakening that has to happen near-instantly. And I don't see what event that will cause most if not all Americans to rise up and take charge of the situation. We (I as well) are too captivated with our gadgets, our computers, our TVs to be alert, or even form a researched, educated opinion. Some of us will come out of the slumber as the situation tightens, but sadly it won't and can't be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
I m gone... i have a life of a king where I am.
And I suppose that location is classified .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Stop being silly. How can you forget that the US is the center of the Universe.
Yeah, I have to apologize for that. But can't blame a sheep for trying !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 PM

216 posts, read 475,582 times
Default no doomsday!

'For myself, I've never in my life seen, or heard of the economy being in the state it is today- and all I can do is sit back and wonder where it will all end up.'

Currency collapses are not new!

Okay, if our currency does become worthless. Our assets still have real value. The articially (phoney) Mexican peso was devalued to nothing. It killed a few banks and lot of investors. Mexico is still there, ('unfortunately'), France printed money to the point of worthless several times, along with Germany, Uganda and dozens of other countries. The basic assets the currency was based on remained and was renegotiated.

Spain's good fortune in having limitless gold imports stolen from the New World resulted in a huge depression. What America has going for it is that so many other countries are in even worse shape.

But if America becomes Detroit where are we gonna go? A middle class that doesn't bother to vote will be hard to pressure to generate jobs, open businesses, pay taxes or even defend a country.

Germany and Japan had zero assets in 1945. Along with a huge percentage of their young male population dead, their infrastructure from railroads to factories totally destroyed. Neither country has any natural resources to speak of. They were world powers in a couple of decades. Because of the quality and resilience of their people.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
Germany and Japan had zero assets in 1945. Along with a huge percentage of their young male population dead, their infrastructure from railroads to factories totally destroyed. Neither country has any natural resources to speak of. They were world powers in a couple of decades. Because of the quality and resilience of their people.
But don't forget that we funded much of Germany's reconstruction and pretty much all of Japan's. At least for a time. Who will fund us if we end up "on the mat"? Maybe a better question (with our "popularity" throughout the world these days) would be, who would want to?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Nobody has to fund us if the only thing that happens is our currency collapses. Unlike Germany and Japan our country is still intact and we still have a workforce. It will take years to work out though. If your'e worried make your investments backed by a different currency, I like german municipal bonds. Nothing goes down where somewhere else something else doesn't go up!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 PM

329 posts, read 460,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
Nobody has to fund us if the only thing that happens is our currency collapses. Unlike Germany and Japan our country is still intact and we still have a workforce. It will take years to work out though. If your'e worried make your investments backed by a different currency, I like german municipal bonds. Nothing goes down where somewhere else something else doesn't go up!
Still intact?

Railways are a mess.
Highway and bridges are falling.
Ports, airports needs repair
Dams have holes.

Like Detroit, no much left intact.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
Still intact?

Railways are a mess.
Dams have holes.

Like Detroit, no much left intact.

Is there a bridge in your area that has fallen?

Is there a dam in your area that has a hole?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Is there a bridge in your area that has fallen?

Is there a dam in your area that has a hole?
That's what I was wondering. I visually inspected the bridges in my area as I drove over them today. None had fallen (unless I was just half-asleep and didn't notice), and none felt unstable as I drove over them. No shifting or swaying under the burden of my economy car. Of course, they were JUST BUILT over the last couple of years (entire revamping of the freeway system around here).

I also listened intently to the radio this morning, expecting news of our local dam breaching. Funny... there was no such newsflash. Well, you know... I began to wonder if this poster is a credible source of information... or perhaps simply searching for something more to write about than tactical wheelbarrows.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Around me there are collapsing bridges and leaky dams. One local bridge (and a very important one too) had a big chunk fall out of it several years ago, they just patched it up and haven't done anything since to really repair or replace it. It's crumbling bit by bit into the river below it. The infrastructure in my state is in terrible shape overall. Lots of deferred maintenance that has simply never been done at all, and now things are too far gone to do anything but replace them (but that won't happen). When you look underneath a lot of the bridges here, you might be shocked.

Last edited by arctichomesteader; 08-07-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
In my area they started using salt slime on the roads during the winter instead of sand and it really corroded the bridges, so for the last 10 years you can hardly drive on the main east/west highway through the state because of the construction as they are being replaced.

Some really needed it, some I am starting to think they do just to screw up traffic because it seems they do a couple of the same bridges every summer

The only dam here that I know of that was leaking was an earthen impoundment, but they fixed that years ago.

Eisenhower started the interstate system after he saw the Autobahn that Hitler designed in Germany to move troops and equipment quickly from one side of the country to the other.
Then it was a military preparedness thing, but with the fall of the Soviets, the urgency of keeping the highways in good shape for troop transport dropped off, and the politicians can always find something to spend gas taxes on besides maintenance. There are vacations to pay for dang it!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Default comparison?

'Still intact?

Railways are a mess.
Dams have holes. '

Do you actually want to compare the US infrastructure to postwar Japan or Germany?

Historians estimate 90% of Germany and Japan's cities were destroyed by aerial bombing.
Not including their fishing fleet, bridges, highways, docks, etc.
What does that actually mean? Well, civilians are killed in aerial bombing.

America had 296k military casualties, 0 civilian casualties.

Germany had 3.3 million military, almost 3 million civilian

Japan lost 1.1 million military, almost 1 million civilians. In both countries more
than half the population were in refugee status, having no homes.

Wev'e never experienced a civilian loss like that. But we did lose 700k soldiers in the
Civil war, more than all our other wars combined. That was a big percentage of the
population then.

Russia rebuilt itself and they lost 13.6 and 7.7 million, but military or civilian casualties
never meant much to them, less mouths to feed.

This is a picture of a Japanese city in 1946. Even Detroit doesn't look this bad, but south Bronx
looked like this 20 years ago after rent control was passed and building owners raised the expertise of arsonists burning out their own buildings unit by unit for the insurance. So we actually caused it to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness