Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No most act better than kids and some humans really.
Very very true! Some kids are so bad it looks like the only career choice they are making is a life in jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
Some lifestyle centers are dog friendly with signs on the door if dogs are allowed. I wonder if some people object not because it really affects their shopping experience but rather out of some principle about "the right place" for dogs.

I would not want dogs in food stores but see no harm in a dog that is under the owner's control and not bothering anyone to be allowed inside other shops. As for allergies--people are allergic to a lot of stuff and it can't all be avoided everywhere. Ultimately there will probably be dog-free stores and dog friendly stores like it was with smoking at one time. That might work.

Size could be resticted and they could be prohibited from being on the floor but would rather have to be in a carrier or in the shopping cart. Some compromise might be in order. I will have to say though if non-dog people object--their wishes would have to be respected. But maybe if proper restictions are in place they would not object in the long run.

In Europe many places are pet friendly. I even sat in a pub one time in Britain with a monkey in a cage overhead spitting out peanut shells onto the table below! That might be a bit over the top!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
As for allergies--people are allergic to a lot of stuff and it can't all be avoided everywhere
No, it can't be avoided everywhere -but certain places that can't be avoided for basic necessities should be safe. Groceries and pharmacies would be those types of places. And as much as I love my dog, I don't want to see dogs in restaurants or where food is being prepared.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:20 AM

136 posts, read 378,966 times
i have 4 dogs but i would never ever take them to a food store or pharmacy. what about disease? anything can be carried by a host animal that we don't know about and this posssible virus or bacterial material should not be allowed in these places. they are handling food and prescriptions and at some point all that is exposed to the air that we all breathe. no, riteaid should be fined and their policies reviewed because this is a health risk. look at the parvo virus and how deadly that can be even to dogs that are vaccinated! its probably a poor area and they are unable to enforce the law there but i would not go there again. and lots of people today are allergic to animals and should not have to face this risk while getting their prescriptions refilled. monkies are the worst because in addition to the health risk they are able to incubate disease that easily transfers to us and they can be very violent, this isn't about manners and well behaved dogs vs. bad dogs its common sense and proper precaution. what are you going to do? have someone measure the size of the dog at the door tama? oh in the shopping cart with them, now theres an idea for spreading filth and disease i never thought of. put my beagle in the cart and hope she doesn't go potty in the cart where everyone puts their food stuffs, or start licking all the items on the shelves. sure. and all dogs have their shots as required by law too right? guess again, many people don;t have the money anymore and neglect that. are you going to check rabie tags and if they got their latest shots too. sorry, letting animals in opens the door for a lot of bad situations and then later you will be asking what was riteaid thinking because now all those people are sick. no, not for me and i love animals.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 AM

thats why i can't volunteer to work at the dog shelter anymore too, i saw the parvo virus kill half the spca pound of dogs and i will not carry that home and risk my dogs health. if i had no dogs i would but parvo scared the hell out of me and these things should scare you too. life is a very fragile thing and its easy to lose. why should we risk it because you want to take rin tin tin to the supermarket with you?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM

couple last points to remember. dogs do not wear clothes so fecal matter falls where it falls, this kind of comtamination in restaurants, when employees don't wash their hands, is what causes all these outbreaks of bacterial infection that makes people sick when they eat out. salomella, or whatever you want to think of, is usually caused by a unclean carrier spreading it around by air and touch. it could be on their fur, it could be on their feet, it could be on their tongues. i don't want to waste space on monkeys because we rarely hear of that but they are the apparently original source of the aids virus and as people came in contact with them it was transferred to humans. as this thing about dogs being allowed by drug store owners in the store is unbelieveable. by cousin is in risk of dying by asthma caused by just about anything and these people are letting dogs into the pharmacy waiting area? it just goes to show you can have a phd and still be an idiot.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Cardboy, you said it all. Thank you.

In addition, it isn't up to an animal owner to decide whether my daughter's alergies are just something she should have to put up with because the person wants to be a jerk and take his/her dog into a store.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
not only were they real reason why dogs/pets shouldn't be in stores within the States but they are also reason why we have poor pet populations in the US. People who do not properly care for their dogs.

Still I would love to take my curent pooch out to places for a nice romp, but I know my dog way too well. She is not the type of dog to take out even though she is a great pal to all dogs and people. My point would be there are too many people who do not show good care let alone proper care and judgement for taking a pet into public.

In Europe they have different standards of pet care. As I mentioned earlier Asissi Italy, home of St. Francis. Wonderful place and I would say the best place I know of for pets. The cats and dogs roam the streets not belonging to anyone but belonging to EVERYone. And they take great care making sure the animals are clean, vaccinated, fed and of course spayed/neutered. A wonder to behold.

As for pets and allergies... well if I walk my dog past someone with allergies I see it just the same as someone walking past me with my allergies to perfume. So to that light I think the point it mote/moot. I am at more of a risk with my allergies then someone with a pet allergy... you can see a dog coming, unless Dog is hidden in a purse. ( which even I dislike ).

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,896 times
When I worked at Wal-Mart I was giving the door greeter a break and this couple came in. The photographer was there to take pictures of children and babies. The woman was carrying her dog in her purse. I told her the dog had to stay outside since only aid dogs were allowed in. The woman told me would I ask a mommy to leave her baby in the car when she came in to shop. Besides, they were their to get their baby's picture taken. I called over the manager and he said "Lady unless you can show a birth certificate that shows you gave birth to that dog it has to stay outside" The husband told his wife that he told her not to bring the dog and if she wanted a picture he would take it with their camera.

People don't understand that if a store has a snack bar etc it can be pulled by the Health Dept. The years I was at that store we had birds, snakes, rats, etc smuggled in with their owners. The rat creeped me out. The owner had its leash attached to her nose ring. EWWWW!!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
My dad takes his dog absolutely everywhere.
If a store won't allow him to take his beloved dog in, he goes somewhere else.
I've been surprised at how many shops actually allow this.
I think, because he is an older, somewhat eccentric-looking man, and because he keeps his dog on a rather industrial-looking harness, some shopkeepers assume that she's a service dog. Maybe they think he's blind or has some other medical reason for bringing his dog in.
He is rarely questioned about it, at least when i'm with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products