Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 20,126 times

Advertisements

Sadly I'm back here with another demoralizing and expensive lesson learned. Purchased a bike that was advertised as mechanically sound. Paid at the end of the auction and then went out to pick it up. I'm not especially technical, but was uneasy with the bike. Against my better judgement I took it. I assumed a good clean and oil would get it running OK. Besides, I had already paid for it. Surely the buyer protection would cover me if it wasn't as described? Right when I was about the leave the seller pressured me into leaving feedback, on my phone, on the spot. Foolishly I caved.

The pedal crank arm bracket had been threaded and the bolt would only hold in for 100 meters or so before flying off, dangerously throwing me off the bike in front of traffic when it decided to give way.

I stopped at 3 bike shops on my long walk home who all wrote the bike off as beyond economical repair. Basically every single moving part on the bike was about to give way. It turns out the seller had purchased the bike off eBay the week before. He would have discovered it was a lemon and palmed it off to the next sucker (me).

What got me was that he made me leave feedback before I left, and talked about what a great bike it was in the description.

I opened a case (after contacting him) and left follow up feedback saying the bike had fallen apart, and we were in the process of a dispute. The tone of his argument in the eBay messages (that the case was based on) was to vilify me and paint himself out to be an angel with 100% feedback. I also have 100% feedback and expressed my concern that he was twisting my words. But it dodn't seem to make a difference. Nobody called me.

8 days later eBay ruled in favour of the seller, with no reason left. I assume it's because I left feedback on-site. My case was that I couldn't have known the pedals were rigged and needed urgent repairing, doomed to explode at a moments notice.

They also removed my subsequent feedback, which was not abuse. Simply that the bike unexpectedly broke soon after purchase.

Last edited by square_eyes; 06-03-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Why is it that nearly every anti-eBay post, the poster has less than 3 posts since signing onto C-D?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Why is it that nearly every anti-eBay post, the poster has less than 3 posts since signing onto C-D?
Unnecessary rhetoric from you I think. It's a pretty sweeping generalization.

My story...

I came here the first time from Google, searching 'Why has eBay removed my feedback'. This is a great thread on the subject so I signed up and told my first story. Months later eBay removed more of my feedback without telling me why. So I posted that story.

Is that so bad?

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square_eyes View Post
And all 3 of your CD posts are in this thread only since Nov/12.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM

I don't actually know what I have done wrong here.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
You haven't done anything wrong IMO.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
You haven't......don't worry about it.
In fact your post about the bike.....being convinced to leave immediate feedback....is a good warning for others not to do the same.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
... I've been buying on eBay since 1998 ... and wouldnt dream of leaving negative feedback without contacting the seller to give him/her a chance to rectify the situation. Leaving negative feedback should be a buyer's LAST resort.
And this is the correct way to go even with the few bad apples on ebay. As long as you can show a communication trail within their system (which they can bring up and is not considered private by them), then as a last resort depending on that communication you can show justification for your feedback. Also FWIW people can add comments to their feedbacks if issues arise later on. Ebay is not Amazon, feedback needs to be short and to the point.
Here's a Neutral I left in January:

Quote:

Labelled 1/21 but was not shipped until email was sent
1/25, item as described

Jan-28-13 12:41

Reply by seller (Jan-28-13
16:47):

WRONG item shipped before 1st business day del to USPS on 1/21 it was a holiday

Follow-up by buyer (Jan-28-13
21:59):

USPS tracking started five
hours after 1/25 email in sellers home city

The seller lied about the shipping and I dinged him for it. Sellers don't seem to understand that the barcode on the bottom of their label is free tracking and not just proof of delivery. Even if he labeled it on 1/21 (a holiday) it would have been scanned by the sorting center on 1/22. He offered no apologies.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-04-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:

It was just an observation and meant for no individual person. didn't say you did anything wrong.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 12,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianWellmer View Post
I legitimately think this person is an employee of Ebay engaged in an internet PR campaign. This is far too biased and dismissive and clearly written ahead of time. They are completely ignoring Steve's point that he DID contact the seller multiple times and that Ebay has been completely unresponsive to his requests.

Also note that they have one post ever and it was just to defend ebay and blame the buyer. This is a company rep.

Beware of people like this, they can ruin discussions like this that keep powerful companies in check. I was wary of a 100% feedback, so I googled around about that and I got this forum. It's been incredibly helpful.
Oh puhh-leeez. Lol. Do you really think an employee of eBay cares what's being said here? I'm sure I ran across the post, the evasive poster (refusing to post the info about the feedback that was left) and left my opinion. I still agree with it. As a seller, for over a decade. I'm certainly not employed by eBay I'm a stay at home mom! And here I found the thread AGAIN all this time later on a random search for something unrelated. "This is a company rep" LMAO!!? So I don't agree with you so I must be working for the enemy?

There HAS to be a violation in the feedback for eBay to remove it. It has to contain name-calling, involve shipping or customs comments, etc.. perhaps if a case is lost by a buyer then all comments are eligible for removal. I don't know. But I DO know that eBay is likely not just ignoring feedback rules for certain power sellers. Paranoid people here. IMO. In any case, you can post your grievances on many online sites about certain sellers if you wish, and bottom line if you don't like the seller just don't use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products