Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How much more would they be bringing in, in the future, if their star player were not disrespectful of the flag and the government?
Might I just note that the star player was serving her country at the time, and was at least partly responsible for bringing in much of the viewing audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 11:25 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
In that case you should be able to easily demonstrate such by backing up your accusation with the missing facts. Please, let us know what we missed so we will be better informed.

This women's team just wants to latch on to the whole victim nuttiness that's poisoning society for the last 10 years.

They are so oppressed and have it so bad and that. What rubbisg.

"America", the experience, has utterly failed, to have produced "role models" like these ladies.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Talking You buttons are easily pushed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe you could toot your little clown horn at 'em and that'll get 'em to see the light.
You suggested the men vs women match.

It's your thing.

Get your horn out and give em a toot.

Me?

I don't give a hoot about your plan.

Unless you can get it to happen.

Let us know.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Tell me more...

"There was a long-standing gap between revenue generated by the men and women, but that has disappeared in recent years. The women’s team contributed close or more than half of the federation’s revenue from games since fiscal 2016. Overall, from fiscal 2016 to 2018, the women’s games generated about $900,000 more revenue than the men’s games. In the year following the 2015 World Cup win, women’s games generated $1.9 million more than the men’s games. And in recent years, the men’s revenue tally also includes the fees that opposing teams pay in order to play the United States."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a650e5f666e7

Firstly, the men haven't played as much as the women since they have not advanced as far in competition play over the years and are, comparatively speaking, not as good a team as the women.

Secondly, $900,000 more in revenues from ticket sales vs. the men's team from 2016-2018 is a drop in the bucket considering the number of players on both national teams and wouldn't be enough to put the women's team anywhere close to the men's team salary in a fair world.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the wage gap exists largely because of the vast differences in FIFA tournament revenues; the men's tournaments generate FAR more revenue than the women's tournaments; as mentioned before, the 2016 FIFA men's world cup generated over $6 billion in revenues, with $400 million to be split among teams, whereas the 2019 women's world cup generated $100 million, with $30 million to be split among team. The women's team lawyer acknowledges this (see my post on page 1), but states that USSF should give the women's team some of the revenues from FIFA men's team competitions. Do you not see how loony that is??

Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This women's team just wants to latch on to the whole victim nuttiness that's poisoning society for the last 10 years.

They are so oppressed and have it so bad and that. What rubbisg.

"America", the experience, has utterly failed, to have produced "role models" like these ladies.
Are they? Hmm. In general, Women soccer players are poorly paid. They appear to want to get more money for their efforts, and are highlighting the fact while the soccer community is paying attention. But you see that as a bad thing; they should just work for peanuts? I take it you've never asked your boss for a raise then?

Old 07-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Are they? Hmm. In general, Women soccer players are poorly paid. They appear to want to get more money for their efforts, and are highlighting the fact while the soccer community is paying attention. But you see that as a bad thing; they should just work for peanuts? I take it you've never asked your boss for a raise then?
Look at the post above this one. It's all there in black white.

Straight up: the women don't deserve ANY of what the men generate. Sorry.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:37 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
They are paid what the market bears (or have been). You don't command more pay simply because some think you are "poorly paid" if you don't generate the revenues to support more pay.

As the team gains in popularity, the market should reflect this in terms of higher ticket prices, more lucrative endorsement deals, etc. that go along with said popularity.

We can have a legitimate and honest discussion about increasing the wages for women's soccer players on the US national team without initiating a disgraceful lie about gender discrimination that is not supported by any of the facts. We can talk about paying the women's team more without using funds generated by men's team play (see my post on page 1).

Old 07-12-2019, 12:03 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Might I just note that the star player was serving her country at the time, and was at least partly responsible for bringing in much of the viewing audience.
She is also responsible for alienating a fair chunk of it in the course of what should have been a unifying event.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Firstly, the men haven't played as much as the women since they have not advanced as far in competition play over the years and are, comparatively speaking, not as good a team as the women.

Secondly, $900,000 more in revenues from ticket sales vs. the men's team from 2016-2018 is a drop in the bucket considering the number of players on both national teams and wouldn't be enough to put the women's team anywhere close to the men's team salary in a fair world.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the wage gap exists largely because of the vast differences in FIFA tournament revenues; the men's tournaments generate FAR more revenue than the women's tournaments; as mentioned before, the 2016 FIFA men's world cup generated over $6 billion in revenues, with $400 million to be split among teams, whereas the 2019 women's world cup generated $100 million, with $30 million to be split among team. The women's team lawyer acknowledges this (see my post on page 1), but states that USSF should give the women's team some of the revenues from FIFA men's team competitions. Do you not see how loony that is??
Could you imagine the uproar if any men said they should be taking pay from women and giving it to them lol

Old 07-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Watching the women's Wimbledon final today I remembered another advantage women have over men in tennis is the ladies only play 3 sets.

I think if they want equal pay (and I can't recall if they got that on the WTA or not) they should do like the men and the tournaments that men play 5 setters, the women also play 5 sets.

Why should the women get to only play a much easier 3 set versus 5 set matches? Afterall, they are equal. Or are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer