Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,413,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Companies are not like the military in that they have in house folks who study every move they make, if that were true, consultants would be broke. Just ask the McKinsey folks who are charging $400 per hour to assess what product mix may or may not work for company X.

Now, we are back to your circular argument.......you can get everything in Greer that you can in Charlotte because of the internet. Interesting. Your logic does not make sense. You are saying that you can get everything in Greenville that is available in Charlotte (or the internet). So, Greenville has the high end stores at Southpark? Greenville has a Maserati Dealership? Greenville has Tiffany's? Or, you can get it on the internet. Now, based on your logic, seems like a Greer resident can get all they need via the internet and would access to everything that is located in NYC.

Your logic is interesting, you are doing anything you can to be right.

Fact is, you can't get everything in Greenville that is available in Charlotte just like Charlotte does not have everything that can be found in Atlanta. Atlanta does not have everything available in NYC, LA, or London. Not sure why you think a metro like Greenville with lower income levels has everything that is available in Charlotte. But, for your loser argument, you want to include the internet. Ok, well then what I said was true, a resident of Greer has everything available that can be fund in NYC. Can't have it both ways, I know you are deficient on business logic but, this is a little out there.
The above bolded part basically makes anything you say questionable. You think companies just make big moves and say "Screw it, we didn't do much research, but we'll see what happens!!!" They do hire consultants, just like the military has consultants. Companies have a LOT of military-inspired organization and structure. Intelligence and recon are common in both fields. If you think Toyota had NO CLUE about the existence of York County as a possible location....then well, you are more ignorant than I thought. You think the Toyota CEO could be surprised tomorrow with "WHAT?? Theres a SC county just below Charlotte with lower taxes and overhead that we could have located to?? Why didn't we know this!!?"

REALLY? You think that to this very day, Toyota doesn't know about York County and what it could offer? I cant even fathom how you could think a global company like that could be so uninformed.

Greenville has internet. I can order all that crap. They can deliver a Maserati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 03:44 PM

119 posts, read 227,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I think they are quite different. At least CD agrees that the roads are not up to par.
I don't drive over a nice bridge like Ravenel Bridge every day on the way to work and then complain about roads in SC. lol That is your hero CD. I ffeel like I grew up dirt poor on here because I dont' even notice most of the stuff you guys act like is the end of the world. Or I'm just a ballsy guy who doesn't lose his cool if he goes over a little pothole on a road. lol I hang tough. lol If guys are getting shot at overseas, or kids are facing cancer, surely I can deal with the roads in SC.

SC does have some bad roads, like in Barnwell and Jasper counties in the sticks. You urbanites don't care about those roads and you don't drive them yet you complain about the roads all the time where they are taken care of in your hoity toity urban areas.

You guys would lose it if we started spending money on the bad roads in the rural areas where they are truly bad and put your pet projects on hold. lol That would be so funny too.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,619,639 times
Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Median HHI.....$56k in Meck, $48k in Greenville
% with a college degree......40% in Meck, 31% in Greenville
Median Value of owner occupied Housing.....$186k in Meck, $152k in Greenville
Below poverty level.........14.5% in Meck, 15.2% in Greenville
Land area......Greenville 785 sq miles.....Meck 524 sq miles
Population.......Meck 991k (7.8% growth since 2010), Greenville 475k (5.1% growth since 2010)

Seems to me based on the above, a reasonable person would not expect to find everything in Greenville that can be found in Charlotte. Just like a reasonable person would not expect to find everything in Charlotte that is in Atlanta or in Atlanta that is in Paris (of course CD2013 thinks that Paris and Charleston have a similar international visibility).

So, you said Greenville was smarter and housing in Charlotte was cheap, sounds like CD2013 with his Southpark is Ghetto comment. Y'all are very similar.

I actually like Charleston, Columbia & Greenville. The funny thing is reading the locals post that Charleston is a World Class city even though national writers still designate Charleston with SC. I have read that Charleston is on par with SFO with regards to restaurants or that a Tea shop chose Greenville over Charlotte and that was a big "Win". It is all about perspective.

Last edited by Marka; 06-01-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,971,303 times
How often do you see people talking about Charlotte period, much less talking about it without the state designation.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
The above bolded part basically makes anything you say questionable. You think companies just make big moves and say "Screw it, we didn't do much research, but we'll see what happens!!!" They do hire consultants, just like the military has consultants. Companies have a LOT of military-inspired organization and structure. Intelligence and recon are common in both fields. If you think Toyota had NO CLUE about the existence of York County as a possible location....then well, you are more ignorant than I thought. You think the Toyota CEO could be surprised tomorrow with "WHAT?? Theres a SC county just below Charlotte with lower taxes and overhead that we could have located to?? Why didn't we know this!!?"

REALLY? You think that to this very day, Toyota doesn't know about York County and what it could offer? I cant even fathom how you could think a global company like that could be so uninformed.

Greenville has internet. I can order all that crap. They can deliver a Maserati.
Actually, no, that is not what I said. I said that a company like Toyota will focus its resources on making cars, that is what drives their revenue. They are not going to employ a team of internal strategy guys making $300k+ annually to only study where the US HQ will be located. When the decision time comes, consultants will be brought in to layout different sites and locations. And, guess who they will call to get information, the state chambers, state departments of commerce, in addition to economic research. Duke Energy has internal economic development teams that work to attract people to their service areas. Guess who they work with, the state. The economic data is accumulated easily, there are services such as Moody's Analytics that will provide the data. But, it is up to the state and local governmental agencies to make consultants aware of available sites. Does Deloitte know of every site available that can accommodate TM? No. In fact, BMW was originally slated for Anderson County. The Spartanburg site was chosen when Eberhard Von Kunheim flew into GSP to look at the Anderson County site. When he saw the 1,000+ acres at GSP, he instructed his team to look at that land. Not sure what your point is other than you think the state should take a laissez faire attitude towards economic development and assume every company CEO knows of all available sites in South Carolina. If that is true, then tell Bobby Hitt to go back to BMW, the state does not need a commerce department to recruit business. Honestly, I know you love Charleston but, you don't understand how recruitment works enough to make an educated statement.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM

119 posts, read 227,598 times
Charlotte having more people with degrees doesn't mean much. A lot of college degrees are silly. That doesn't break it out by what college and major, or if they are even working in a occupation that requires this degree. As I pointed out, Greenville has a good number of engineers, and that is addition to doctors, architects, lawyers , etc you find anywhere else. So it is hard to believe Greenville is that less educated than Charlotte or anywhere else. I would argue it is much more educated than similar sized cities in this country.

I never said Greenville was smarter, I said it has less dumb people in terms of numbers simply b/c it has less people overall so it might feell smarter even if Charlotte wins in terms of percentage of smart people.

I like Charlotte ok and probably my 1st preference for a big city, or after DC. I worked in Uptown for 3 months back in 2004 and I enjoyed it I must say. lol Never seen so many hot women on my lunch break.

I think Charlotte does have more but the more it has is what I call marginal more. It is shopping kind of stuff only a few people care about and maybe a few more hoity toity restaurants. And pro teams. Nothing wrong with that but I don't think it affects actual quality of life.

Last edited by Marka; 06-01-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
How often do you see people talking about Charlotte period, much less talking about it without the state designation.
Charlotte still has the state designation.........I never said Charlotte was on par with Paris, London or known worldwide. CD2013 is the one who claims Charleston is known worldwide and on par with SF in the restaurant category.

But, depending on what you are looking at, Charlotte may come up. There are regular shots on CNBC from our trading floors or other business related events. There was a lot of international coverage with the DNC in Charlotte. It would come up a lot more related to business or sports. Less so in travel guides where Charleston is mentioned.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, no, that is not what I said. I said that a company like Toyota will focus its resources on making cars, that is what drives their revenue. They are not going to employ a team of internal strategy guys making $300k+ annually to only study where the US HQ will be located. When the decision time comes, consultants will be brought in to layout different sites and locations. And, guess who they will call to get information, the state chambers, state departments of commerce, in addition to economic research. Duke Energy has internal economic development teams that work to attract people to their service areas. Guess who they work with, the state. The economic data is accumulated easily, there are services such as Moody's Analytics that will provide the data. But, it is up to the state and local governmental agencies to make consultants aware of available sites. Does Deloitte know of every site available that can accommodate TM? No. In fact, BMW was originally slated for Anderson County. The Spartanburg site was chosen when Eberhard Von Kunheim flew into GSP to look at the Anderson County site. When he saw the 1,000+ acres at GSP, he instructed his team to look at that land. Not sure what your point is other than you think the state should take a laissez faire attitude towards economic development and assume every company CEO knows of all available sites in South Carolina. If that is true, then tell Bobby Hitt to go back to BMW, the state does not need a commerce department to recruit business. Honestly, I know you love Charleston but, you don't understand how recruitment works enough to make an educated statement.

Hey Sherlock....if a company HIRES a consultant...that's "in-house" research

I wonder of Boeing just said "F**K IT BOYS!! We're opening shop in Charleston County, SC, but we don't know jack squat about it, and we didnt' research ANY other county in South Carolina, hell, we're not even that informed about the South in general.......but lets go!!!".

Um...no. With our without the state spending money on a recruiting team...Boeing and BMW...AND Toyota already had their own in-house research. Whether it was done by their permanent staff....or consultants they HIRED (Thus, making them "employees" of the company basically)...they did their research.

No, the CEO doesn't and shouldn't know all the sites. The people he PAYS to know that's ****, however, better know.

So TODAY you are telling me the Toyota CEO and his staff have never heard of York County, SC? You may believe that. I don't. The folks running Toyota are way too smart to let themselves be that uninformed.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Charlotte still has the state designation.........I never said Charlotte was on par with Paris, London or known worldwide. CD2013 is the one who claims Charleston is known worldwide and on par with SF in the restaurant category.

But, depending on what you are looking at, Charlotte may come up. There are regular shots on CNBC from our trading floors or other business related events. There was a lot of international coverage with the DNC in Charlotte. It would come up a lot more related to business or sports. Less so in travel guides where Charleston is mentioned.
I just said Charleston...somehow...keeps showing up on Top 10 lists every year alongside famous cities like Rome, Paris, SanFran, etc.

Don't blame me if our "smallish" metro area of 700K is more famous than your metro area of over 2 million haha!!

Charlotte will come up if you are looking for things though. Especially anything NASCAR related. #1 NASCAR city in the US of A!!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Hey Sherlock....if a company HIRES a consultant...that's "in-house" research

I wonder of Boeing just said "F**K IT BOYS!! We're opening shop in Charleston County, SC, but we don't know jack squat about it, and we didnt' research ANY other county in South Carolina, hell, we're not even that informed about the South in general.......but lets go!!!".

Um...no. With our without the state spending money on a recruiting team...Boeing and BMW...AND Toyota already had their own in-house research. Whether it was done by their permanent staff....or consultants they HIRED (Thus, making them "employees" of the company basically)...they did their research.

No, the CEO doesn't and shouldn't know all the sites. The people he PAYS to know that's ****, however, better know.

So TODAY you are telling me the Toyota CEO and his staff have never heard of York County, SC? You may believe that. I don't. The folks running Toyota are way too smart to let themselves be that uninformed.
Did you graduate from Coastal Carolina? You don't seem to understand anything.

First, do I think Toyota's CEO or operating committee know about York SC, no. Doubt they know much about SC, no need to understand 46 counties in SC and 100 in NC. Or the thousand in other states. That is why they hire consultants who are not internal but provide a service just like a supplier does to Boeing. And guess who consultants talk with, Bobby Hitt at the commerce department to understand available site in SC. It is why the state has offices in other countries, to sell the state because if you aren't selling your message, you won't get a look. Do you think folks sit in board rooms and say, let's look at SC, it has traditionally been last in education, is a poor state and has almost no Fortune 500 company HQs but, I bet they can build a plane. Is that what you are saying? If so, why does commerce recruit industry? Why did Sanford recruit Boeing so hard? Do you think Alabama just sits back and says we don't need a commerce department because companies will know we are here due to the operating committees knowing everything about all counties? It is obvious that you are not in business, you have absolutely no concept about what happens. Want proof that CEOs don't know every site, read the BMW example, he thought the plant was headed to Anderson until he saw the GSP site. The state pitched Anderson for some strange reason and by observation and quick thinking by George Dean Johnson, the site was moved to Spartanburg. The CEO never knew about the site until he saw it. And, that is in the same region of SC. If BMW's I house research team knew so much about SC, why did the CEO select another site when flying in to look at Anderson. Sorry, you are way wrong and can't admit how little you know. 100% of what you have said is wrong.

As for TM, how would a company know about York unless the state provided more detailed information? Better yet, what incentive does TM have to look at SC without being contacted by the state. SC is not a state that is traditionally strong in headquarters operation which is exactly why I think the state needs to step up recruiting efforts. In the case of TM, NC was the lead recruiter but SC could have and should have talked to the company and said look, you can still be in Charlotte with a lower tax structure. Of course, that is above your head.

Charleston popular worldwide, dream on. In travel magazines charleston is known. In business or everyday life, it does not register. But what would you know, you think the area can support the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina