Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,413,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
What you don't get in your political world is that SC is missing on opportunities because of your dumb logic. Actually, the 50k or do new residents of Charlotte have plenty to do here, just refer to your Charleston threads about people visiting Charlotte force cause if what Charleston lacks. And, the execs of our fortune 500 company HQ seem to have plenty to do in the city. World class art museums, not a 17 day blitz, world class performing art venues with shows unique to the Carolina's.....again, year round not a 17 day blitz, sports....you get it.

As for Nikki, as you said, the state pushes certain metros. Are you arguing with yourself?
Again..you are going in circles. Toyota was obviously never really serious about considering the Charlotte area. They took a curious peek....but they weren't serious.

All that world class stuff in Charlotte huh? Never heard of it. If it was truly "world class"....Charlotte would land on national or global Top 10 lists.......well, ones that don't involve banking or NASCAR anyway.

The state doesn't "push" certain metros. Reps in Columbia lobby for THEIR home voters, and seeing as most of them are from the 3 main metros...its human nature they spend their time working for THEIR home voters.

But...Nikki Haley is in an election year, and she runs as a jobs governor. And you think in an election year, the "jobs governor" ignored a chance to get Toyota in SC? Haha, yeah sure. TM just wan't that serious about wanting to be near Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,972,562 times
Since i haven't been paying attention much what are you 2 even arguing about?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
History, yes. I actually like Charleston and visit. But, the over the top cheerleading by CD is humerous. I don't pretend Charlotte is perfect or is going to challenge Atlanta as the South's leading city. But, it passed Charleston long ago even after spotting Charleston the rich history.

CD trashed Charlotte because I challenged his theory that Charleton could get an NFL team. Since then, he has come up with about every sorry argument to discredit the city, even called Southpark ghetto.

Metro Charlotte us partly in SC. The state would be wise to promote the area in addition to the three SC centered metros. That was my original comment that got CD mad.
HAHAHA

Yeah...you got ME mad? It got me so mad....that somehow I forced you, a Charlotte, NC resident, to spend all your time on the SC forum trying to convince me of something

Oh, and yeah, that Fox article was written by a Charleston resident, head of DIG. But....the NUMBERS he put in the links are just that- numbers. What you constantly praise and push as the end-all-be-all of arguments. So...is he from here? Yep. Are his numbers wrong? Well....math is math.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Since i haven't been paying attention much what are you 2 even arguing about?
Well, I was posting about how our 3 main metros are going to get Nordstrom-Rack very soon. Great news for Greenville, Columbia, Charleston residents. And then, our regular Charlotte, NC resident who posts nowhere but the SC forum.....couldn't help jumping in yet again.

But to sum it up.......

- Toyota motors was maybe considering Charlotte for its new HQ
- TM decided not to, and instead went to Texas
- GSP got upset...and said SC should've done more to recruit them to York County

I said....
- TM wasn't really that interested in NC or SC anyway
- SC politicians have a limited budget, so if they recruit, it'll be to THEIR home voters...mostly in the 3 main metros
- And even with that, Nikki Haley is the "jobs governor" and she is in an election year, so if there was any shot at getting TM in York, they would've gone for it, would've been an election year grand slam
- And I said with or without SC spending money on a recruiting team.....Toyota is a huge company and they have their own research, and they already knew about the cheaper alternative neighbor of Mecklenberg, and if they didn't, they need to fire some people for not doing their jobs

He said...
- Toyota does NOT do its own research on stuff like this, and that no major corporations do that type of in-house research before major moves
- That SC missed a huge opportunity because even though Toyota didn't want to be in Charlotte or Charleston or Greenville or Columbia or Raleigh or Atlanta.........they may have wanted to be in York.

That sums it up, along with some typical Charleston trashing that he normally does.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Toyota likely has it's own research team, however, what would bring the company to the state would be tax breaks though so the team wouldn't matter so much beyond finding a good location. Also we already have a competitor of theirs and they normally don't like to operate in the same state. Could be wrong on that last bit though.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Toyota likely has it's own research team, however, what would bring the company to the state would be tax breaks though so the team wouldn't matter so much beyond finding a good location. Also we already have a competitor of theirs and they normally don't like to operate in the same state. Could be wrong on that last bit though.
Yeah, I assumed any global successful company like that his it's own research team, or, hires a consultant team. And its true...offering a tax break would be helpful. And the jobs governor Nikki Haley is in an election year. Im sure HER people knew TM was peeking at the Charlotte area, so if there was a chance in hell they could get the political grand slam of TM coming to SC, they would. But...they knew what most people would know: South Carolina never had a shot, and really, Charlotte's chance wasn't much better.

But if TM was interested, their in-house team could have easily fielded a call to the South Carolina folks, just to test the waters. Heck, Im pretty sure Haley had someone close to her throw Toyota a courtesy call...just in case.

But, GSP thinks our state, with a limited budget, should've formed a whole recruiting team and spend thousands and thousands of dollars...on a lost cause. I don't agree with a lot of what Haley does. But, she and her people were right on this. No need to waste money.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM

I HAVE AN IDEA! Go make another thread about this instead of using this one!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I HAVE AN IDEA! Go make another thread about this instead of using this one!
Well...what would the point be? The Nordstrom-Rack topic is already done, nothing to add. A new thread about Toyota/SC would just be another place to discuss what we're already discussing.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 PM

You say that but wouldn't it fit well in the Charlotte forum compared to here.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You say that but wouldn't it fit well in the Charlotte forum compared to here.
Not really, since this topic is about York County, SC, and Toyota. Plus, if it was in the Charlotte or North Carolina forum......how would GSP ever read it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina