Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,618,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
HAHAHA

Yeah...you got ME mad? It got me so mad....that somehow I forced you, a Charlotte, NC resident, to spend all your time on the SC forum trying to convince me of something

Oh, and yeah, that Fox article was written by a Charleston resident, head of DIG. But....the NUMBERS he put in the links are just that- numbers. What you constantly praise and push as the end-all-be-all of arguments. So...is he from here? Yep. Are his numbers wrong? Well....math is math.
Thought I lived in Chester Co? Do you ever tell the truth?

The article, LOL. Even Fox had a disclaimer that the article was an opinion. The numbers, straight from CRDA. Only an idiot would buy into those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,412,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Thought I lived in Chester Co? Do you ever tell the truth?

The article, LOL. Even Fox had a disclaimer that the article was an opinion. The numbers, straight from CRDA. Only an idiot would buy into those numbers.
Chester, Cheraw, York...you live somewhere in that area 30-45 minutes to the South of Charlotte. You admitted it weeks ago, its ok. It actually makes your constant presence on the SC forums make sense, so no biggie.

So CRDA just made those numbers up huh? Hmmm. Would Charlotte do the same thing? Nah, Charlotte's numbers are legit right? In fact, the CRDA numbers came from other sources..like the Miliken Institute.

You're just too fun, honestly

So is it Cheraw? Union? Surely not all the way to Marlboro County is it?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Chester, Cheraw, York...you live somewhere in that area 30-45 minutes to the South of Charlotte. You admitted it weeks ago, its ok. It actually makes your constant presence on the SC forums make sense, so no biggie.

So CRDA just made those numbers up huh? Hmmm. Would Charlotte do the same thing? Nah, Charlotte's numbers are legit right? In fact, the CRDA numbers came from other sources..like the Miliken Institute.

You're just too fun, honestly

So is it Cheraw? Union? Surely not all the way to Marlboro County is it?
Not talking about Charlotte. You proudly referenced an article from Fox Business as a legit source to claim Charleston is on par with Austin. Fact is, Fox disclaimed the article which referenced CRDA, a local economic development agency. Do these operations lie? Sure, Greenville's claims to have 1.3m residents in their metro.

The author is a Charleston resident who has worked in a PR related field for CofC. He writes for Charleston magazine so, the article us a publicity piece, nothing more. Only an idiot would believe Charleston has anything on the scale of Austin in tech. Charleston's biggest employment sectors are government, trade and tourism. Silicon Harbor is an attempt to brand the area when in reality, the BLS has Charleston at 5k tech sector jobs, about the same size as Columbia and Greenville.

If you believe this article, I have Enron stock for sale, trust me, they published numbers as legit as what this guy published.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I was posting about how our 3 main metros are going to get Nordstrom-Rack very soon. Great news for Greenville, Columbia, Charleston residents. And then, our regular Charlotte, NC resident who posts nowhere but the SC forum.....couldn't help jumping in yet again.

But to sum it up.......

- Toyota motors was maybe considering Charlotte for its new HQ
- TM decided not to, and instead went to Texas
- GSP got upset...and said SC should've done more to recruit them to York County

I said....
- TM wasn't really that interested in NC or SC anyway
- SC politicians have a limited budget, so if they recruit, it'll be to THEIR home voters...mostly in the 3 main metros
- And even with that, Nikki Haley is the "jobs governor" and she is in an election year, so if there was any shot at getting TM in York, they would've gone for it, would've been an election year grand slam
- And I said with or without SC spending money on a recruiting team.....Toyota is a huge company and they have their own research, and they already knew about the cheaper alternative neighbor of Mecklenberg, and if they didn't, they need to fire some people for not doing their jobs

He said...
- Toyota does NOT do its own research on stuff like this, and that no major corporations do that type of in-house research before major moves
- That SC missed a huge opportunity because even though Toyota didn't want to be in Charlotte or Charleston or Greenville or Columbia or Raleigh or Atlanta.........they may have wanted to be in York.

That sums it up, along with some typical Charleston trashing that he normally does.
Cd....you sure do like to lie.

Look, this, as you know, was a topic in another thread titled Growth. I stated that the state should work to recruit companies that are not currently intersted in SC because of a number of reasons. I said that because SC has a local office in addition to international offices, it would not hurt to recruit companies to the state that are passing over the state. TM was a timely topic since Charlotte finished 2nd to Dallas in getting the 4k jobs. This is the type of company that SC should go after. Then, you tried and tried to convince me that TM has a team of strategist making $300k+ annually who study counites like York instead of focusing on making cars.....which drives their revenue. Of course that is ignorant, consultants work with energy companies, chambers of commerce, analytic companies, state departments of commerce to study appropriate sites.

Because of all of this, SC would be wise to recruit these types of operations. Why? Because if the state won TM by offering incentives and actually recruiting companies like this, with 4k jobs aeraging $75k annually, the state would get roughly $15m in income taxes each year. A small recruiting staff at commerce may cost $2m per year, the payback is an easy decision even factoring in incentives. This was the entire point of the Growth thread. You disagreed and that's fine. Your assumptions and logic were completely wrong but, that is fine too. You have not shown the ability to understand anything beyond easy reading like magazine rankings. No big deal, you don't get it.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Not talking about Charlotte. You proudly referenced an article from Fox Business as a legit source to claim Charleston is on par with Austin. Fact is, Fox disclaimed the article which referenced CRDA, a local economic development agency. Do these operations lie? Sure, Greenville's claims to have 1.3m residents in their metro.

The author is a Charleston resident who has worked in a PR related field for CofC. He writes for Charleston magazine so, the article us a publicity piece, nothing more. Only an idiot would believe Charleston has anything on the scale of Austin in tech. Charleston's biggest employment sectors are government, trade and tourism. Silicon Harbor is an attempt to brand the area when in reality, the BLS has Charleston at 5k tech sector jobs, about the same size as Columbia and Greenville.

If you believe this article, I have Enron stock for sale, trust me, they published numbers as legit as what this guy published.
Did the Miliken Institute lie? That's part of where the article got its numbers, and where Charleston was ranked. Just because you don't like the guy's numbers doesn't mean his sources are bad.

Now....where is it? You live in Rock Hill? Indian Land? Surely not as far down as Darlington?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Cd....you sure do like to lie.

Look, this, as you know, was a topic in another thread titled Growth. I stated that the state should work to recruit companies that are not currently intersted in SC because of a number of reasons. I said that because SC has a local office in addition to international offices, it would not hurt to recruit companies to the state that are passing over the state. TM was a timely topic since Charlotte finished 2nd to Dallas in getting the 4k jobs. This is the type of company that SC should go after. Then, you tried and tried to convince me that TM has a team of strategist making $300k+ annually who study counites like York instead of focusing on making cars.....which drives their revenue. Of course that is ignorant, consultants work with energy companies, chambers of commerce, analytic companies, state departments of commerce to study appropriate sites.

Because of all of this, SC would be wise to recruit these types of operations. Why? Because if the state won TM by offering incentives and actually recruiting companies like this, with 4k jobs aeraging $75k annually, the state would get roughly $15m in income taxes each year. A small recruiting staff at commerce may cost $2m per year, the payback is an easy decision even factoring in incentives. This was the entire point of the Growth thread. You disagreed and that's fine. Your assumptions and logic were completely wrong but, that is fine too. You have not shown the ability to understand anything beyond easy reading like magazine rankings. No big deal, you don't get it.
Haha...you sure do go on rants to try to save your point.

So...you're saying that in an election year, the "Jobs Governor" decided to not pursue Toyota Motors...which would have not only been a grand slam for her, but for the GOP in SC, and maybe even enough to push her reputation to a caliber of being a national party contender.

And she and her folks just decided...."nah, why bother"?

No. Its because Toyota never had any interest in SC, and barely had any in NC.

If you knew a little about the relationship with Toyota and the Mexican auto plants, and the easy proximity of Plano to those Mexican plants, and the auto industries fantasy of using Mexico to build cars in the future.........you'd know it was destined for Texas all along.

And SC didn't have to waste millions trying to change destiny.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Did the Miliken Institute lie? That's part of where the article got its numbers, and where Charleston was ranked. Just because you don't like the guy's numbers doesn't mean his sources are bad.

Now....where is it? You live in Rock Hill? Indian Land? Surely not as far down as Darlington?
Sorry, no, that Austin reference was straight from CRDA. Read it for what it was, a publicity piece. It was by a local guy who worked for CofC and may still be there. He is promoting Charleston just as you do. They are working hard to brand Charleston as a tech hub in hopes that it catches on. That is what DIG is about it is what the silicon harbor moniker is about. A guy from Greenville or Columbia could write the same article and source from Miliken and a local development group. The problem is that you tout it as evidence of Charleston's exploding tech sector when in reality, tech is a tiny part of the Charleston employment base and has a tiny tech presence even in the Carolina's.

As for TM, I understand the auto relationship. More likely, TM was not as interested in Mexico as the truck plant in San Antonio. But, that is beside the point. Did we have a shot at TM, well, we finished 2nd. They were more than interested in the area. And, based on availability of incentives, SC could have put a better package together than NC. To dismiss this as "we would not have gotten it anyway so no need to bother" is a loser statement, glad you aren't in commerce. The state has an opportunity to expand the economic footprint with a small amount of costs. Landing one operation of any size would be a huge benefit to the state in dollars and in allowing the state to recruit more companies just as BMW proved that SC can support complex manufacturing. It is a break from typically recruiting manufacturing operations and I am sure if this affected Charleston, you would be all for it. But, you disagree and that's fine. You like the status quo, I would like to see the state do better. No more than that.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry, no, that Austin reference was straight from CRDA. Read it for what it was, a publicity piece. It was by a local guy who worked for CofC and may still be there. He is promoting Charleston just as you do. They are working hard to brand Charleston as a tech hub in hopes that it catches on. That is what DIG is about it is what the silicon harbor moniker is about. A guy from Greenville or Columbia could write the same article and source from Miliken and a local development group. The problem is that you tout it as evidence of Charleston's exploding tech sector when in reality, tech is a tiny part of the Charleston employment base and has a tiny tech presence even in the Carolina's.

As for TM, I understand the auto relationship. More likely, TM was not as interested in Mexico as the truck plant in San Antonio. But, that is beside the point. Did we have a shot at TM, well, we finished 2nd. They were more than interested in the area. And, based on availability of incentives, SC could have put a better package together than NC. To dismiss this as "we would not have gotten it anyway so no need to bother" is a loser statement, glad you aren't in commerce. The state has an opportunity to expand the economic footprint with a small amount of costs. Landing one operation of any size would be a huge benefit to the state in dollars and in allowing the state to recruit more companies just as BMW proved that SC can support complex manufacturing. It is a break from typically recruiting manufacturing operations and I am sure if this affected Charleston, you would be all for it. But, you disagree and that's fine. You like the status quo, I would like to see the state do better. No more than that.
Um...see, if you click on one of the links the CRDA article provided....the link goes to the Miliken Institutes in-depth national study. All of the CRDA statements used outside source numbers. And you are right...tech isn't a big part of Charleston's economy. That's why they use words like "emerging" and "growing".

No, you obviously don't understand the relationship Toyota has with Mexico. If you did...you'd know Charlotte, York, Greenville, Charleston, Raleigh, Columbia...never had any real shot at TM.

Yeah...if Toyota was honestly interested in Charleston, I'd be all for the state pursuing them..just like they did Boeing. But TM wasn't interested in Charleston. And they were just flirting with Charlotte. Their close ties with Mexico all but guaranteed Texas would get it. Which you'd know...had you read up a bit on the issue before commenting a lot on it....like I did

Old 05-29-2014, 01:30 PM

Oh, as for Austin, TX and Charleston... http://www.milkeninstitute.org/pdf/B...eport-2013.pdf

Theres the link CRDA provided from Miliken Institute. Listed Charleston as the 11th best performing city (Austin was #1).

CRDA said Charleston outpaced Austin...in PERCENTAGE of tech growth relative to the home city. As in...starting from very little, to having a much higher %. Obviously Austin has far more total jobs. That's just the reading comprehension part, and CRDA made that comment as a way to show out outstanding Austin is, and that Charleston's small tech sector is growing so fast, as a PERCENTAGE of it's economy, that it even outpaced Austin....as a %. Not raw total jobs.

Its bad I had to explain that...CRDA explained it pretty well already.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, as for Austin, TX and Charleston... http://www.milkeninstitute.org/pdf/B...eport-2013.pdf

Theres the link CRDA provided from Miliken Institute. Listed Charleston as the 11th best performing city (Austin was #1).

CRDA said Charleston outpaced Austin...in PERCENTAGE of tech growth relative to the home city. As in...starting from very little, to having a much higher %. Obviously Austin has far more total jobs. That's just the reading comprehension part, and CRDA made that comment as a way to show out outstanding Austin is, and that Charleston's small tech sector is growing so fast, as a PERCENTAGE of it's economy, that it even outpaced Austin....as a %. Not raw total jobs.

Its bad I had to explain that...CRDA explained it pretty well already.
Thanks for clearing up the Austin comment. Seems as though you finally understand considering back on page 6 you said Charleston has a higher share of tech jobs than Austin.

As for the article itself, like I said, it is a chamber piece written by a local with statement that could be made by a number of cities. Fact remains, insinuating Charleston is a tech player by writing that it had a higher percentage of tech growth than a very mature tech market is a stretch. Enron tried the same numbers manipulation with off balance sheet accounting and you see how legit that was. CRDA's job is to spin numbers is a favorable way, quoting that shows a lack of understanding. But, the intent of the article is to paint Charleston as a tech player. Same logic applies to DIG which you have used as a way to claim Charleston is a tech player. Well, DIG is a Charleston event started in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina