Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 01:33 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I’d be interested in seeing what I said if anyone can find posts in which I pigeonholed any of SC’s cities. In this thread I only said Charleston now is the largest urban area and that “largest city” and “largest urban area” are examples of phrases that business CEO’s say when telling why they choose a place.

I didn’t realize that official estimates had already revealed half a decade ago that Charleston’s urban area was SC’s largest. I remember a business exec calling Columbia “the premier urban area in the state” when Columbia was picked for something.

Yesterday an apartment company mogul reasoned why he chose Charleston for the company’s first-in-South Carolina development. Urban area and the city size weren’t mentioned. This morning’s news quoted Resy’s CEO’s reasoning for making Charleston the company’s first location outside NYC for an office. Resy is a restaurant-hotel-hospitality reservations firm. They are occupying a new office building on the peninsula. He didn’t mention the city or urban area’s size. The New Yorker only raved about Charleston’s food without mentioning cheesecake. But we sure have plenty of that here for those who find it that important.

Charleston will not be pigeonholed. Attempting to pigeonhole it shows a lack of awareness or disingenuousness. Listen to old man Charlestondata. BTW, I told a restaurant manager who’s a native Charlestonian that I’ve lived here nearly eight years. He said oh, so you’re a local. Then I showed him my Instagram page so he could see my Charleston photographs. Of all the photos he could have said were beautiful (They are.), he chose one of a dirt road in southern Orangeburg County in the farm community where my mom and her ancestors for generations were born and raised.

The terrain is as flat there as it is here. That’s why my late grandfather used to ask me how I liked the Lowcountry when I would visit. I always loved it. All I did was come to the city. Columbia was a 31-year detour.
Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 03:00 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
He retired.
Thank you.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Quote:
I’d be interested in seeing what I said if anyone can find posts in which I pigeonholed any of SC’s cities. In this thread I only said Charleston now is the largest urban area and that “largest city” and “largest urban area” are examples of phrases that business CEO’s say when telling why they choose a place.

I didn’t realize that official estimates had already revealed half a decade ago that Charleston’s urban area was SC’s largest. I remember a business exec calling Columbia “the premier urban area in the state” when Columbia was picked for something.

Yesterday an apartment company mogul reasoned why he chose Charleston for the company’s first-in-South Carolina development. Urban area and the city size weren’t mentioned. This morning’s news quoted Resy’s CEO’s reasoning for making Charleston the company’s first location outside NYC for an office. Resy is a restaurant-hotel-hospitality reservations firm. They are occupying a new office building on the peninsula. He didn’t mention the city or urban area’s size. The New Yorker only raved about Charleston’s food without mentioning cheesecake. But we sure have plenty of that here for those who find it that important.

Charleston will not be pigeonholed. Attempting to pigeonhole it shows a lack of awareness or disingenuousness. Listen to old man Charlestondata. BTW, I told a restaurant manager who’s a native Charlestonian that I’ve lived here nearly eight years. He said oh, so you’re a local. Then I showed him my Instagram page so he could see my Charleston photographs. Of all the photos he could have said were beautiful (They are.), he chose one of a dirt road in southern Orangeburg County in the farm community where my mom and her ancestors for generations were born and raised.

The terrain is as flat there as it is here. That’s why my late grandfather used to ask me how I liked the Lowcountry when I would visit. I always loved it. All I did was come to the city. Columbia was a 31-year detour.
I’m sure the other 4.2 million people in SC who don’t live in the Charleston metro are happy for you as well. A place is what you make it. Good job. ❤️

Old 01-09-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I’m sure the other 4.2 million people in SC who don’t live in the Charleston metro are happy for you as well. A place is what you make it. Good job. ❤️
From the largest urban area in South Carolina, I thank you.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:13 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
From the largest urban area in South Carolina, I thank you.
But not largest metro or county, but the oldest. Hey, snide egotistical remarks can go any way.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
But not largest metro or county, but the oldest. Hey, snide egotistical remarks can go any way.
The main reason for the new definition of “urban” is to get the rural parts inside and outside of metropolitan statistical areas the type of funding they need. It was a good move by the Census Bureau. It more accurately defines what’s city and what’s country. I am all for rural areas getting the financial assistance they need. That’s where I grew up. I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina