Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:03 PM

64 posts, read 489,401 times

Advertisements

May as well break the ice. Like at a dance, the music plays and everyone waits until someone else gets up. Lemmon is my birth place. Even though I have been gone many years, I still have a place in my heart for this wonderful prairie town. I used to live across the street from the Lemmon School in 1925 to 1929. That is going back. At eighty years old, I am getting sentimental. I still remember my Uncle Jim planting a tree in the parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,924 times
Default Growing up in Lemmon

My Mother just passed away, she was born in Lemmon in 1929 and graduated in 1947. She never talked much about her past and I've been going through her old photos trying to piece together parts of her life and family history. I know she had fond memories of her time in Lemmon and I hope to find the time and the means to visit there. I'm sentimental also - and I didn't even grow up there!

Old 02-14-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Fond Memories

We took milk delivery from a Mr. Knapp who had a horse drawn wagon. One time we quit because of a farmer friend who was going to give us milk. The horses kept stopping in front of the house as they knew where every customer was. We started up again for that reason,. As a salesman later in life, I used "horse sense" by revisitng my former customers and got as lot of extra sales.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Going back

In those days of 1925 to 1934, we had two doctors, Dr. Totten and Dr. Curtis who was the doctor when I was born. My cousin, Carl Braun was a butcher in a local store. The Petrified Wood Park is still a national tourist attraction.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 AM

There was a bakery in Lemmon on the main drag. On the way home from Lemmon Hi I used to stop and buy some Bismark Rolls that are now called jelly filled doughnuts

Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 AM

I still remember Ralph Scoular, Jimmie Long. Joyce Ham in our biology class where we dissected a frog in Lemmon High School in 1939 or 1940.There was a bakery driver who lived close to the Cannonball river. We had a bowling alley where I set pins. Mr. Staulk was the police officer. I remember the swimming pool although I never went there. There was a supeme bowler named Gale who had a restuarant. What a great Petrified Wood Park!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadandtad
My Mother just passed away, she was born in Lemmon in 1929 and graduated in 1947. She never talked much about her past and I've been going through her old photos trying to piece together parts of her life and family history. I know she had fond memories of her time in Lemmon and I hope to find the time and the means to visit there. I'm sentimental also - and I didn't even grow up there!
My natural mother was born in South Dakota in 1893. My father was born in Minnesota in 1883. My grand parents were Lemmon pioneers as well as pioneers of the Dakotas. They home steaded, built a sod house and survived with 6 children. On my mothers side of the family, my grandparents were German immigrants from Russia, set up farming and prospered through long hard hours of work.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,918 times
both of my parents grew up in hoven, they would have been about your age. my mother was anna rader. her father was william who worked at hoven bank. my father george lee edrich. 1st son of helen "minnie" DUENWALd and George C Edrich. i'm part of the group that adventured to DENVER.
I regret not taping the story's of my elders. my uncle Leo Duenwald always had a tall tale. between the Rausch, duenwald, edrich, rader just to name a few, many a tale was told.

we have lost and we have gained as life goes on. I enjoy reading your memories, it feels me with peace and confort.

i hope you contiune posting ----

my roots are deep in this area. i believe this is one of the reasons they moved to Denver almost everyone is a cousin from one side or the other, sometime both.
i am in possion of a few books written about of my family branches. these include personel letters and interesting reading
- Quoting from "1757-1978 the breidenbach Family"
pg 191 -- believed to be clipped from a newspaper published in the Aberdeen area in 1929. "a happy reunion was staged this week at he home of mrs frances fischbach when four sisters were together for the first time since 1883, the occassion being the visit of Mrs Mary Blesener of Redlands, CA., The sisters who were reunited this week included Mrs john duenwald of Hoven, Mrs John Weinreis of Aberdeen, Mrs. Frances Fischbach, also of Aberdeen and Mrs. Blesener.

know any of these family names. please share.

Lawrence Welk, enjoyed playing at the Dances in the area.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:23 AM

My sister went to a college in Aberdeen, SD in the year of 1935-1939 and became a bookkeeper for an organization in Los Angeles working there for 37 years. My step father, a wonderfull man, had a ranch a couple of miles east of Mott, ND. My uncle bought a farm of 3,700 acres in North Lemmon, ND. I loved the freedom of being alive in the Great Western Plains. Life was plain but very beautiful. Simply existing was a challenge. Hard work was a way of life with no regrets.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Shocking Wheat

Have any one of you put bundles of wheat together in pyramids? Starting with the huge beautiful sun rising around 5:Am and working until about 4:30 PM when we take a break with home made ice sream and plenty of food in the farm life. Then we did chores milking cows, pitching hay, cleaning barns until about 8:30- PM when we would come in the kitchen and talk about the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota