Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,896,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromatlanta View Post
Forget about having an intelligent conversation with Mr. Racial Stereotype Juice.
I guess he's never heard of Steve Nash or Dirk Nowinski(sp?)
Since you feel it's OK to label me with a stereotype (which colors YOU a hypocrite!) it's fair to fire back at you "Mr. frustrated man being held down by the system"

And since we are the only two fools reading this string it's OK to refer to me in first person...i.e. "I guess YOU have never heard of Steve and Dirk."
For the record I have heard of both.

BTW, my favorite all time NBA player is Dr. J. Good luck spinning that into a racist slant. Actually from your comments it sounds to me like you are the racist. Down with whitey? Is that your tune? If not why get so worked up over a single word used to describe what you see when you turn on any NBA game? Your thinking is flawed but consistent with the Sharpton's of the world out there bashing whitey and hoping for a handout.

You want intelligent conversation, answer these intelligently; Why do so many young black men carry guns and shoot one another? Why do young black men father more young black men and then abandon them to the streets?

If you are that concerned about race why aren't you doing something about those issues? Why waste your time here? Make a difference...don't just be a crybaby flying the racist flag when it's convenient in an on-line forum. Get out there and change some lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 05:28 PM

37 posts, read 228,761 times
Default I'm White You Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Since you feel it's OK to label me with a stereotype (which colors YOU a hypocrite!) it's fair to fire back at you "Mr. frustrated man being held down by the system"

And since we are the only two fools reading this string it's OK to refer to me in first person...i.e. "I guess YOU have never heard of Steve and Dirk."
For the record I have heard of both.

BTW, my favorite all time NBA player is Dr. J. Good luck spinning that into a racist slant. Actually from your comments it sounds to me like you are the racist. Down with whitey? Is that your tune? If not why get so worked up over a single word used to describe what you see when you turn on any NBA game? Your thinking is flawed but consistent with the Sharpton's of the world out there bashing whitey and hoping for a handout.

You want intelligent conversation, answer these intelligently; Why do so many young black men carry guns and shoot one another? Why do young black men father more young black men and then abandon them to the streets?

If you are that concerned about race why aren't you doing something about those issues? Why waste your time here? Make a difference...don't just be a crybaby flying the racist flag when it's convenient in an on-line forum. Get out there and change some lives.
Conservative and Republican as well. I just didn't understand the point of bringing in race to your comments on the NBA. You did, were called on it and then tried to compensate for it by stereotyping the white players as slow and unathletic. You don't sound real emotionally stable. The next time you show your redneck rear, I think I'll just sit back and laugh and refrain from commenting.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:15 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Quote:
Conservative and Republican as well. I just didn't understand the point of bringing in race to your comments on the NBA. You did, were called on it and then tried to compensate for it by stereotyping the white players as slow and unathletic. You don't sound real emotionally stable. The next time you show your redneck rear, I think I'll just sit back and laugh and refrain from commenting.
That's probably best...you definitely haven't been able to defend your position.

Having to resort to name calling in both your posts is the true sign of a redneck mentality.

You're backpeddling faster than the Tour de' France drug free committee. It's funny that when truth hits you between the eyes you can't respond intelligently and can only call names. To bad, I was hoping you would step up.

Edit...it finally occurred to me what your really are...a troll. I apologize to all for falling for the trap and will no longer repsond to this string.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 08-11-2007 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 11:59 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Now, getting back on track - when looking for some news regarding the boys in Blue, found this article, and near the end, there is an interesting tidbit pertaining to basketball in StL... hmmmm... St. Louis Commerce Magazine

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-12-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,452,366 times
Default That'd be something if STL gets a basketball team!

Very interesting article to say the least, though the main focus is on Dave Checketts and his efforts to breathe some new life into the Blues hockey team--and when I grew up in the St. Louis area back in the '80s, hockey was definitely a big thing there. Part of it could have been that the football Cardinals, when they were in St. Louis, constantly had losing records; and while the Blues I think got into the playoffs every year, the Stanley Cup has always eluded them. But Checketts could do many of the same great things for the Blues as Walt Jocketty has done with the baseball Cardinals. Let's hope so, at least!

Pro basketball in St. Louis? Well the Hawks I believe had already relocated to Atlanta before I was even born, so it would seem to me that St. Louis might still be more of a college basketball town with the SLU Billikens and Mizzou Tigers. But now that Norm Stewart is no longer coaching for the Tigers and the team hasn't been doing quite as well, there could be more of an interest in getting a pro expansion team in STL than I think. Indoor soccer with the St. Louis Steamers and its great players Don Ebert and Slobo Ilijevski was really hot back there in the early '80s. To me, it seems like St. Louis is, or at least was, more of a soccer town than a basketball town. You never know, though. Here in the Bay Area, who would have thought the San Jose Sharks would catch on the way they did in San Jose. It could be true for pro basketball in St. Louis. Hey ShadowCaver, wouldn't it be something if St. Louis got a new pro basketball team before Los Angeles gets another pro football team???

Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM

35 posts, read 185,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Now, getting back on track - when looking for some news regarding the boys in Blue, found this article, and near the end, there is an interesting tidbit pertaining to basketball in StL... hmmmm... St. Louis Commerce Magazine
You guys desserve the NBA again. You're one of the few metros that can handle four that is under 4mill as proven by history.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Amoakohene View Post
You guys desserve the NBA again. You're one of the few metros that can handle four that is under 4mill as proven by history.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. However, I would rather no NBA for a stronger NHL and NFL presence, over the 'prestige' of there being one of all four majors. That's just me tho'. My blood, it bleeds Blue and Red [yea, in that order], with platelets that have horns upon them...

Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Default It's All About Corporate Support

The NBA relies heavily on corporate season ticket sales and merchandising to pay the inflated salaries of its players. It will take a big corporate push and a promise of a new arena with plenty of luxury suites to lure the NBA to town. I don't see that happening. I agree with Fishtacos that an MLS franchise is more likely to land here than an NBA franchise.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,106 times
Quote:
The NBA relies heavily on corporate season ticket sales and merchandising to pay the inflated salaries of its players. It will take a big corporate push and a promise of a new arena with plenty of luxury suites to lure the NBA to town. I don't see that happening. I agree with Fishtacos that an MLS franchise is more likely to land here than an NBA franchise.

New Arena? That isn't the problem. The Scottrade Center is where the Blues play. It routinely hosts NCAA events as well. It seats 22,000 people, and has plenty of luxury suites. St. Louis doesn't need a new arena for an NBA team, it already has one, and STL has come close to getting a team a few times in recent history. Corporate dollars are being spread around already to the Blues, Rams, Cardinals, and elsewhere. And consumer dollars as well. People don't understand how expensive it is to go to Blues and NBA at same time for several months...coming off of tix to Rams and Cardinals and elsewhere. STL is a medium sized city, not a big city/metro.

Hockey is popular in St. Louis, and has been for several decades, and if there wasn't hockey, there would likely be an NBA team. St. Louis is one of the best cities in America in landing pro and amateur special events, and those continue annually. The St. Louis Sports Commission is very good. You never say never, but supporting an NBA team(a league with many problems right now) would be a challenge. Head to a SLU game, or drive to a Mizzou game or Illinois hoops game....more entertaining anyway much of the time than NBA. But it may happen down the road. Not any time soon though.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
New Arena? That isn't the problem. The Scottrade Center is where the Blues play. It routinely hosts NCAA events as well. It seats 22,000 people, and has plenty of luxury suites. St. Louis doesn't need a new arena for an NBA team, it already has one, and STL has come close to getting a team a few times in recent history. Corporate dollars are being spread around already to the Blues, Rams, Cardinals, and elsewhere. And consumer dollars as well. People don't understand how expensive it is to go to Blues and NBA at same time for several months...coming off of tix to Rams and Cardinals and elsewhere. STL is a medium sized city, not a big city/metro.

Hockey is popular in St. Louis, and has been for several decades, and if there wasn't hockey, there would likely be an NBA team. St. Louis is one of the best cities in America in landing pro and amateur special events, and those continue annually. The St. Louis Sports Commission is very good. You never say never, but supporting an NBA team(a league with many problems right now) would be a challenge. Head to a SLU game, or drive to a Mizzou game or Illinois hoops game....more entertaining anyway much of the time than NBA. But it may happen down the road. Not any time soon though.
In the world you and I live in, The Scottrade Center would be more than adequate. However, this is the NBA where 13 year old arenas are considered dinosaurs. Just ask Charlotte, Orlando and Memphis, all of whom had to upgrade from Scottrade Center caliber arenas to get or keep NBA teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis