Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
At least for homicides this year, at the current rate, it will be about 77, which is 24/100k population. This is a 33% reduction compared the 34 homicides/100k that we had last year. There have been some shocking incidents in the last few years but as a whole, the city is getting much much safer.

I'm glad there are fewer murders, but I'm having a hard time buying your ultimate conclusion that as a whole, the city is getting much safer. Beyond the murders, there also seems to be more of this nonsense in the better city neighborhoods:

Rash of car break-ins keep police busy overnight | FOX2now.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 PM

320 posts, read 610,943 times
^Or with fewer murders, lower level crimes that wouldn't have in the past are now getting media coverage. Index crime rate is at a mid 1960s level, roughly 8000/100k I think.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Yawn....this horse is not only dead but it smells really bad after a month and a half

Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
Everyone in St. Louis has southern accents so they are southern for sure

Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
I just got back from my first trip to St. Louis and I didn't see anything that struck me as distinctly Southern. Well, I did read a restaurant review in which the guy from Arnold used the word "beaucoup", which I've rarely heard used, and when I looked it up it's said to be Southern, but centered New Orleans and southern Louisiana. I haven't been to Manhattan or NYC, but did get struck by a few thoughts of "this must be kind of what Manhattan is like". I do see similarities like I always have from studying St. Louis to Kansas City, but one thing I found out about St. Louis is just how vibrant the place really is, despite the opposite being easy to think. Granted it was a nice weekend, but Forest Park, the Central West End, Laclede's Landing, the Delmar Loop, the riverfront, and Arch and its park, and even the CBD and downtown mall (park) were all simultaneously very busy. There seemed to be a decent amount of work-a-day activity all places inbetween too, at least in the central corridor and south city. So yeah, St. Louis definitely struck me as being more vibrant than Kansas City. The racial integration seems to be better too from what I saw, especially on Delmar, which had vibrancy I simply don't think KC's similar Westport or 39th St even compares. I've never seen KC as vibrant as St. Louis as I just saw St. Louis. Another thing I like about St. Louis is how flat it is, which is something I've always thought helps a place feel urban and walkable.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM

213 posts, read 322,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Everyone in St. Louis has southern accents so they are southern for sure
If you're joking, this forum isn't about joking. It's giving straightforward, honest opinions. If that is your straight-forward, honest opinion, I'd have to conclude you don't even know what a Southern accent sounds like...surprising considering you're from Branson

Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
If you're joking, this forum isn't about joking. It's giving straightforward, honest opinions. If that is your straight-forward, honest opinion, I'd have to conclude you don't even know what a Southern accent sounds like...surprising considering you're from Branson
Yes once I went there they sounded just like people from Memphis or maybe Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
Quote:
Yes once I went there they sounded just like people from Memphis or maybe Alabama or Mississippi.
LOLOLOL stop, stop, I can't take it. You're killing me over here!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 PM

213 posts, read 322,936 times
Quote:
Then I'd have to conclude that you are out of your mind. People in St. Louis do not have accents from the Deep South and sound nothing like people from Memphis. In a well publicized study done by the University of Pennsylvania, linguists place the boundary line of the Southern dialect about 150 miles to the south of St. Louis. St. Louis is not a Southern city and does not have Southern accents. First you think Oklahoma's not the South, now you think St. Louis is. You're crazy, and a waste of time.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,944 times
STL is a very Southern city.

It gives me the same vibes that Memphis does.

Doesn't seem like Chicago or Indianapolis at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis