Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 10:51 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
As someone who moved from Chicago to STL, I would argue the opposite. It took me quite a bit of time to feel at home here. I think the difference is that STL doesn't experience the same degree of resident churn you find in Chicago. People are more reserved here than Chicago...and most of the Upper Midwest for that matter. People are pleasant here. They just aren't as obviously friendly. I would tell my wife this and she just didn't see it for quite a while. She's also a workaholic that doesn't put as much emphasis on her social life. She isn't shy or antisocial. She can take it or leave it though. When we went back up to visit this summer and took our kids around to the same types of things we do here (festivals, random playgrounds, walking down the street) she noticed a lot more random conversations between us and total strangers who were city residents.

People here tend to be more comfortable in their already established bubbles while people in Chicago tend to be more in a state of open social flux. The city is more urban and dense, so maybe people who move there are selecting themselves into a situation where they need to interact more on a daily basis and are therefore more outgoing/outwardly friendly by nature? Kind of like how my friends in DC complain because It is by its nature a very political city and the personalities of many people there reflect that. Or maybe it's the churn? Or maybe STL doesn't share as much with older industrial cities of the Upper Midwest as people might think...because I get more of that outwardly friendly vibe in Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit too. Or maybe the weather is so awful up there that people are ridiculously happy on a 75 degree sunny day in June.

I don't think this necessarily makes the city Midwestern or Southern, but it is perceptibly different. Growing up in the Heartland portion of the MW, going to school in STL, living in the Upper Midwest for 12 years and now back in STL for a few, I can see some southernisms here that I didn't on my first go around. I wouldn't call STL southern, but I do see hints of it.
Chicago is a world class mega alpha city. St. Louis is not.

That said, both are midwestern. Both are significant, one much more so (Chicago) one much less so although obviously significant to the 3 million that live in the metro. One is the alpha midwestern city and the other a much smaller rust belt cousin who maybe once had bragging rights until the other grew up a long time ago.

It's really not that big of deal. Chicago's awesome, I would rather live here. I'd love to hear the hints of "southernisms" you get in St. Louis. I spent several days in Cleveland not that long ago and came away with the impression it was St. Louis on a Lake instead of river with a different accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This excludes Black Protestant denominations.

Louisville

Protestant: 391,272
Catholic: 161,598
Thanks for the good information. As we can see, Louisville, for an upper south city, does have a large percentage of Catholics. Thus, its earned (at least somewhat) reputation as a Catholic influenced city.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This excludes Black Protestant denominations.

St. Louis

Protestant: 684,764
Catholic: 555,744

Cincinnati

Protestant: 480,547
Catholic: 401,960

Louisville

Protestant: 391,272
Catholic: 161,598

Baltimore

Protestant: 493,048
Catholic: 452,262

Philadelphia

Protestant: 909,690
Catholic: 1,997,829

Chicago

Protestant: 1,408,025
Catholic: 3,236,794

New York

Protestant: 1,595,222
Catholic: 7,216,151

Boston

Protestant: 352,162
Catholic: 2,021,038
Even when accounting for the Black Protestant denominations being left out, where is everyone else? St. Louis' number is less than half the metro area. St. Louis isn't full of enough Jews, Muslims, atheists, or Orthodox Christians to account for the discrepancy.

It's true for the other cities as well.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
As someone who moved from Chicago to STL, I would argue the opposite. It took me quite a bit of time to feel at home here. I think the difference is that STL doesn't experience the same degree of resident churn you find in Chicago. People are more reserved here than Chicago...and most of the Upper Midwest for that matter. People are pleasant here. They just aren't as obviously friendly. I would tell my wife this and she just didn't see it for quite a while. She's also a workaholic that doesn't put as much emphasis on her social life. She isn't shy or antisocial. She can take it or leave it though. When we went back up to visit this summer and took our kids around to the same types of things we do here (festivals, random playgrounds, walking down the street) she noticed a lot more random conversations between us and total strangers who were city residents.

People here tend to be more comfortable in their already established bubbles while people in Chicago tend to be more in a state of open social flux. The city is more urban and dense, so maybe people who move there are selecting themselves into a situation where they need to interact more on a daily basis and are therefore more outgoing/outwardly friendly by nature? Kind of like how my friends in DC complain because It is by its nature a very political city and the personalities of many people there reflect that. Or maybe it's the churn? Or maybe STL doesn't share as much with older industrial cities of the Upper Midwest as people might think...because I get more of that outwardly friendly vibe in Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit too. Or maybe the weather is so awful up there that people are ridiculously happy on a 75 degree sunny day in June.

I don't think this necessarily makes the city Midwestern or Southern, but it is perceptibly different. Growing up in the Heartland portion of the MW, going to school in STL, living in the Upper Midwest for 12 years and now back in STL for a few, I can see some southernisms here that I didn't on my first go around. I wouldn't call STL southern, but I do see hints of it.
What are these Southernisms?

Please don't say "the Black people sound country"

Old 07-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Thanks for the good information. As we can see, Louisville, for an upper south city, does have a large percentage of Catholics. Thus, its earned (at least somewhat) reputation as a Catholic influenced city.
Still shows that when compared to St. Louis and Chicago, it is significantly less Catholic and to say that St. Louis is more like Louisville because of Catholics is quite dishonest.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Now we agree. I think Louisville has gotten more "southern" as time goes on. For one, many o the rural kentuckians which move dot Ohio or Michigan before for jobs...they now move to Louisville....or Nashville.

Louisville is historically, at its core, a Midwest, industrial, river city made into a large city by German and Irish Catholic immigrants. Louisville declined in 1937 after a massive flood, worse than Katrina in New Orleans, and never gained its status again as the south's second city. The rise of Dallas, Atlanta, Houston and Miami made sure of that.

But the city has seen a massive renaissance lately, and it is nothing short of impressive. You still see much of this midwest culture, mixed with the southern one.
I guess being from the Great Lakes I don't see the Midwest culture. What exactly is it?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I've been to STL a few times and I can say that it has a very strong Southern vibe. When I was there, I felt like I was in the South. Being from Minnesota, I can say that STL did not feel Midwestern at all to me.

BTW, I do believe that east and southern Missouri are a part of the South. Missouri doesn't seem all that Midwestern to me and it feels much like its Southern neighbors than it's northern ones, at least to me. As a whole, I do consider Missouri to be a Southern state.

Plus, MO allowed slavery in the civil war. That to me makes it full blown Dixie country.

This is a joke right?

Old 07-07-2016, 05:48 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Even when accounting for the Black Protestant denominations being left out, where is everyone else?
Probably "non-religious," or at least "non-denominational." Times have changed. Religion, especially organized religion, isn't as prominent as it once was.

When I first departed StL, for Southern Missouri, I was stunned at how strong religion was down there. Up here, you don't see religious billboards everywhere, church invitations are rare, and public displays of faith are almost non-existent.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:18 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The Appalachian Regional Commission is based on poverty and politics, not anything cultural. Have you ever really looked at the map? They include counties in north MS, almost over to the AR border, for pete's sake, how are they remotely appalachian?
It is based on a defined Appalachian geographic area as well, although some outer locations like NE Ohio are a bit of a stretch. NE Mississippi is similar to Appalachian areas of south-central Tennessee as well. The cultural influence of Appalachia definitely impacts and influences the Ohio Valley region to a degree as well, particularly the smaller river cities with local industries that attracted in-migration of people in the past.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I guess being from the Great Lakes I don't see the Midwest culture. What exactly is it?
I don't see it either. Louisville may have some Midwestern influences like Germans and Catholics, but it also has a very high amount of Southern Baptists. And it is placed squarely in the Southern dialect range. Culturally it is unquestionably Southern. It is best described as a Southern city with Midwest influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis