Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
And since I will not let you belittle Louisville anymore, riddle me this...why does "little" Louisville attracts OVER 20 million annual tourists a year, and STL attracts 23.9 million. Louisville offers a mean punch, and tons to do for a metro of 1.5 million ,that's why it attracts more leisure travelers and almost as many annual visitors as the "big" city of STL. And let's face it, MO has no signature drink like bourbon, and no signature event like Derby or Thunder (or the many other top 10 Louisville festivals like Forecastle, St James Art, Humana Festival of New American Plays etc).
Really? Where did you do your research? St. Louis has the 2nd largest Mardis Gras in the United States. Did you miss that one?

Here you go: St. Louis Signature Events - Explore St. Louis

No signature drink? Ok. The craft beer scene here is something Louisville could only dream of.

It doesn't matter if Louisville does have some fun events like the Derby, I'd never be able to live there. I work for a Fortune 500 tech company as a key client executive, and they'll only let us live in cities with major airports and non-stop destinations. Louisville isn't on their approved list. Too small. STL, Indy, Cincy, and Nashville are options though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Really? Where did you do your research? St. Louis has the 2nd largest Mardis Gras in the United States. Did you miss that one?

No signature drink? Ok. The craft beer scene here is something Louisville could only dream of.

It doesn't matter if Louisville does have some fun events like the Derby, I'd never be able to live there. I work for a Fortune 500 tech company as a key client executive, and they'll only let us live in cities with major airports and non-stop destinations. Louisville isn't on their approved list. Too small. STL, Indy, Cincy, and Nashville are options though.
I'm shocked Louisville doesn't have craft beer. Here in Florida it's becoming a big thing. I had a customer at my place from Birmingham, AL and he said it's becoming popular there too.

Regarding southern accents you really won't hear them much here in Florida anymore as well unless you're in North Florida and that map I posted backs it up too. From the Tampa area on south I've only heard a few southern accents and they were all people from other states such as Kentucky, AR, and the Missouri bootheel a guy a work with who identifies as a southern BTW. He says down in the bootheel they all identify as southern. Even down here in the rural areas the "rednecks" I run into do not have a southern accents.

Is the southern accent still present a lot in rural Georgia, and Texas outside the major metros?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I'm shocked Louisville doesn't have craft beer. Here in Florida it's becoming a big thing. I had a customer at my place from Birmingham, AL and he said it's becoming popular there too.

Regarding southern accents you really won't hear them much here in Florida anymore as well unless you're in North Florida and that map I posted backs it up too. From the Tampa area on south I've only heard a few southern accents and they were all people from other states such as Kentucky, AR, and the Missouri bootheel a guy a work with who identifies as a southern BTW. He says down in the bootheel they all identify as southern. Even down here in the rural areas the "rednecks" I run into do not have a southern accents.

Is the southern accent still present a lot in rural Georgia, and Texas outside the major metros?
Louisville absolutely has craft beer. Holy Grale, Against the Grain, Great Flood, are a few of the craft beer breweries here. It's full of hipsters of course there is craft beer.

As far as Southern accents go, Louisville residents have a mild one but you don't really hear a drawl MUCH but it is there in a few words like can't and man. You all is the preferred form across most of the Ohio River towns and that includes NKY where it is alternate to you guys. But honestly the presence of y'all is irrelevant as a word isn't an accent. You can have a fully Southern drawl and never choose to say y'all.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM

Good Lord people, I didn't say Louisville doesn't have craft beer. It's 2016 not 1996. I said Louisville's craft beer scene can't hold a candle to STL, and that's true.

STL also has bourbon bars, but I wouldn't dream of them rivaling those in KY.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I suggested in another threat after spending a lot of time in southeast Missouri recently that the south begins somewhere in those 30 miles between Cape and Sikeston.
Having spent a few years in Cape, I would agree.
There are places in Missouri where the locals have an interest in being ""Southern" and work at it almost as a caricature....a little bit exaggerated. That was certainly true in Lexington, Mo. where they can point out the "secesh" houses that still are preserved from the Civil War. It is part of a cultivated tourism mystique surrounding the local battle site. Other parts of Little Dixie do it to a lesser extent -- sort of a cute nostalgia. That's not so much the case once you are south of Cape Girardeau. Sikeston and Charleston seem to be more realistically in the south. I had a boss once from New Madrid who gave me my username "SunGrins" -- that squinty look when you look up at the sun. She grew cotton and owned race horses and was very southern.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There are places in Missouri where the locals have an interest in being ""Southern" and work at it almost as a caricature....a little bit exaggerated. That was certainly true in Lexington, Mo. where they can point out the "secesh" houses that still are preserved from the Civil War. It is part of a cultivated tourism mystique surrounding the local battle site. Other parts of Little Dixie do it to a lesser extent -- sort of a cute nostalgia. That's not so much the case once you are south of Cape Girardeau. Sikeston and Charleston seem to be more realistically in the south. I had a boss once from New Madrid who gave me my username "SunGrins" -- that squinty look when you look up at the sun. She grew cotton and owned race horses and was very southern.
Isn't Rush Limbaugh from Cape? He doesn't have a Southern accent whatsoever.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Even though I have relatives from the area, I do not feel at home down in the Bootheel at all. It feels like a very different place than the STL metro area. It's more Arkansas than Missouri in terms of culture, language, history, etc.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Again...twisting words. STL has MOSTLY a midwest accent. But there are plenty of southern accents there! I'd say 20% easy. And I have heard them all over the metro. My most frequent encounters? Gas stations and fast food. Also the fact that you bring up "all of us" makes me very wary you use another login and actually respond to yourself.

Ya'll, you all, or you guys? Dialect maps showcase America's many linguistic divides | Daily Mail Online

In almost every single map, Louisville is on the edge. Louisville does not even say "y'all" There is no more obvious evidence of Louisville's hybrid identity than this! Louisville is the only place where they say "you all"

And what's more? STL has lots of oddities and shares some words with the south! Louisville is hybrid city. STL is mostly midwest, with a hint of south. That's ok! Being southern is better as the south is growing! Again, can you read sir? STL is MIDWESTERN! We agree. But it has some southern characteristics. This is why the OP created this thread.

Even Louisville's BOOMING tourism and convention business, doing great before around 3000 hotel room open up soon, did not know whether to market the city as South or Midwest, but they chose south as the south is hot!

https://insiderlouisville.com/metro/...rism-rebrands/

Research also revealed it was more appealing to market Louisville as a Southern city, not a Midwestern one. The Visitor Profile explained: “Louisville has its own kind of feel … not Nashville, not Atlanta, not Indianapolis or Cincinnati. Not overly hipster, not snobby, not a bunch of hicks. It’s its own kind of place, unique, different, Southern, a little elegant and fun.”

So Louisville's own convention bureau did not even know if it should be Midwest or Southern, but they are going with the Southern thing and folks form MI, OH, IL, IN, MO, etc etc are eating it up! Louisville has doubled its tourists in just 5 years.

And since I will not let you belittle Louisville anymore, riddle me this...why does "little" Louisville attracts OVER 20 million annual tourists a year, and STL attracts 23.9 million. Louisville offers a mean punch, and tons to do for a metro of 1.5 million ,that's why it attracts more leisure travelers and almost as many annual visitors as the "big" city of STL. And let's face it, MO has no signature drink like bourbon, and no signature event like Derby or Thunder (or the many other top 10 Louisville festivals like Forecastle, St James Art, Humana Festival of New American Plays etc).

About Us - Explore St. Louis

How many times do I need to school you with facts...but you will come back...well Louisville is southern. just because. its small. yeah. take that. Come on man....I think we actually all agree here, to one degree or another. Cincy and STL are midwest, but have some southern influence. Louisville was historically midwest and still contains catholics, german/irish, and lots of midwest culture, but it is now 50% or more southern.
You haven't schooled me with any facts, just a one man army pleading the fifth every time you're cornered. Louisvillians speak with Southern accents, period. That is factually proven by linguistics maps. And nowhere near 20 percent of St. Louis does. Louisville has never been historically Midwest. It was historically Southern and still is today. Louisville is way over 50 percent Southern. Culturally and linguistically, it's part of the South. Once again, you haven't schooled me with any facts...just your personal opinions. Go away. Missouri has beer, which is also a signature drink. Anheuser Busch is the most powerful alcohol company in the world. And Missouri has sports that cover the entire year...Kentucky doesn't. Face it. Louisville doesn't compare to St. Louis, and in most areas Kentucky can't compete with Missouri. Louisville has nothing like the St. Louis Cardinals, the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, the Saint Louis Zoo, the Arch, the CWE, Clayton, etc. Its institutions don't compare and don't make any national list. Louisville has no sports teams. It has one day events like the Kentucky Derby. And plenty of Louisvillians say y'all. I heard it all the time when I was there. You have no concrete proof that they don't. You're just making an unsupported claim. Your fear of being Southern is laughable. You believe in fiction...that Louisville is not only a Midwest city, but that it compares to cities over twice its size. You can't fix backwards. I'm tired of you. Louisville's closest competitors are Richmond, Oklahoma City, etc. It doesn't compare to St. Louis AT ALL.

Last edited by U146; 07-22-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Isn't Rush Limbaugh from Cape? He doesn't have a Southern accent whatsoever.
Actually I don't know what it is lol. He always sounds like he's got a mouth full of food. I vote Republican but find him and his voice to be annoying. He's just a neoconservative mouthpiece.

Peter Kinder has a small bit of accent though.

Cape Girardeau is somewhat of a border city though. It's on the far southern edge of the transition zone. Jackson missouri to the north is more southern than cape and rural cape Girardeau County is more southern than cape Girardeau. Thbgunner can confirm this as well with jackson even though it's ten miles north it's more southern.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post

Listen, every major city has festivals...even small ones. How many festivals in STL attract people from all over? Mardi Gras STL is at best second fiddle to NO and is mostly a regional draw (albeit it is fun, I forgot about that as I went in college many years ago, although I prefer Mobile's fest as it feels more authentic).

Lets stick to the facts....20 million tourists in Louisville. 23.9 million in STL.

How do you explain that if Louisville is so "small"

Every city has craft beer. Louisville has so many craft breweries that they are opening a new one tonight in Old Louisville, and announced another one today for an inner ring suburb in Lyndon. There are a solid 30 craft breweries. Even the southern Indiana suburbs have at least 4 craft breweries. Like STL, Louisville has so many breweries that Louisville has 2 craft beer tour buses. You should come take a tour instead of spewing nonsense. There is so much more to do in Louisville, per capita, and that is why it attracts almost as many visitors as a metro twice its size. So all the banter about Louisville lacking amenities or culture...it only displays ignorance. Louisville is on nearly every hot city and travel lists right now. The accolades for STL are there, but few and far between. How far will cultural legacy take the city?

Oh, and Louisville has a top 10 beer festival. And you are proud STL poisoned America with Bud swill?

Best Beer Festival Winners: 2016 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards

So, you are wrong again. Louisville matches STL craft beer pound for pound, ounce for ounce. And no where in STL gets the kind of press that Holy Grale in Louisville gets.

Louisville has about half as many direct flights as STL but Louisville has 20+ direct flights and is announcing 2-3 more on Mondayy. That's ok, its metro is half the size. Also, what you forget is STL is in the middle of nowhere, and Louisville is 70 miles from 2 other airports Cincin's airport is in KENTUCKY). Louisville's wealthy NE subhurbanites have MANY more flights at their disposal in an hours drive than someone in St Charles MO.

Louisville has several Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies too. So again, no one will believe your fabrications.

STL does have southern elements. I posted those linguistic maps. While some people in Louisville say 'Ya'll" MOST do not. This was proven with research I posted as folks in Louisville, central KY, and even central MO say "you all" This shows these areas are transition zones. Look at the maps, then comment.

Ya'll, you all, or you guys? Dialect maps showcase America's many linguistic divides | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis